Line Follower problem

Can anyone help in robotics?

i want a white line detecting sensor which gives reliable output for the movement of robot in the region as shown in the fig.
[​IMG]

as we can see there are grids with green background and white color grids. I tried with IR sensors they getting quite unreliable. I just expect some suggestions.

Instead of line follower if you think something else will do more well then please suggest we will work on it. We have to actually make a pyramid on khafraa region we have decided the block placing mechanism just not able to trace the paths well and reliably.

Replies

• cranky
    cranky
    Are you allowed to use a web cam?if so,you could use image processing😁😁
  • piyushh
    piyushh
    use microcontroller and program it , following few guide lines may help you for makin this project(coding of this grid solver)

1) as your grid is some what like a "maths copy" with square lines, so make a program based on co-ordinate(x,y) system

2) code it using different functions for turning and movind forward , and then call it in your main function

3)count the horizontal(say x) and vertical(say y) white lines , i mean make a sensor using 4-5 led's,so that 2 of them can be used for detecting cordinates

4)now if you unknown with the coordinates on which the bots have to cross then make a single variable using array(for storing the INPUT path any time) , then make a code such that it will generate random arrays of different path coordinates, now one by one logically AND them(i.e the path coordinate array of the actual path you want and the path generated on random )

generate random arrays of different path coordinates using some algo like fix X and increment Y..n so on,so that it can one by one generate all possible path

decode your path by as per your convention

OR

if u are already known with the coordinate then skip step 4 and simply store it in your code using variables

for example
    if u make a 1-dimentional array of path in form of coordinate

e.g
    [a]=[ 020305040708]
    this means the path is (2,3), (5,4) and (7,8)

5) finally now instruct your bot to move by calling functions and accordingly decrement(or sometimes increment) the coordinates (X and Y) as your bot cross the cordinates

all the best
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    sjackie53
    I tried with IR sensors they getting quite unreliable. I just expect some suggestions
    What kind of IR sensors are you using? You might be able to find a specific photodiode or phototransistor that has a sharper response curve (either with green or white).
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    IR sensors are a poor choice for detecting colors other than black and white.

If you're allowed a web cam, I'd suggest you use image processing to detect your current co-ordinates and plan your path.

It's very simple if you can use a PC. You can use Matlab and easily plan your path dynamically.
    If a PC is not allowed, then also you can use a web cam. But you've to use a DSP for processing the video. It's a little bit difficult than using PC, but it can be done..

And if you still want to use IR sensors, as Ash said, look for those whose response peaks at green or blue. Or, there are some IR sensors which give peak response to more than one color. You might also try them. Search for those types of sensors..
  • shahrul
    shahrul
    Doing Robocon 2010, hehe. Use digital fiber sensor.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can any1 tel me how to apply for Summer Training at IITs' in field of bio-medical engg.???😕 I am in B.E.II year..and indeed want 2 train myself in bio field...
hey i want to make a line follower robot which is fast and stable to participate in bits pilani apogee event(track o mania).for more detail just visit Track-O-Mania | Apogee...
can anyone tell me what is a docx. file
pls. someone tell me the difference between docx. and doc. file?
i am currently doing a project on image processing using matlab.it will be helpful if some one can tell me a good algorithm to find out the correlation between 2...