Life of LCD TV

Hi CEans,

Can anyone of you throw light on the 'life of LCD TV'? What does the term 'viewing hours' refer to and what happens to the screen once the 'viewing limit' is crossed?

-The Big K-

Replies

• mahul
    mahul
    _k this is what i found after a little google search...the life of an lcd tv(or for that matter any tv) as specified is actually the half-life(some similarity with the half-life of a 1st order reaction? i dunno...maybe). after these many veiwing hours the brightness and vibrance of the tv is supposed to fall to half the original value. u might use it even after that,if the lack of picture quality doesn't put u off(there wd be no one to prevent u from doing that anyway), but with the half lives of typical lcd's being around 60,000 hours(close to 10 years with 20 hrs of usage every day), i doubt whether i need to worry about my screen(unless my manufacturer has bluffed me).
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    mahul
    _k this is what i found after a little google search...the life of an lcd tv(or for that matter any tv) as specified is actually the half-life(some similarity with the half-life of a 1st order reaction? i dunno...maybe). after these many veiwing hours the brightness and vibrance of the tv is supposed to fall to half the original value. u might use it even after that,if the lack of picture quality doesn't put u off(there wd be no one to prevent u from doing that anyway), but with the half lives of typical lcd's being around 60,000 hours(close to 10 years with 20 hrs of usage every day), i doubt whether i need to worry about my screen(unless my manufacturer has bluffed me).
    Hi Mahul,

Thanks for your reply. Where did you get the information about 'half life' of LCD? Could you please mention the source?

I do know that the picture quality degrades once the 'view hour quota' is exceeded, but is it the 'brightness' or the 'contrast' that goes down?

-The Big K-
  • mahul
    mahul
    it's the brightness that goes down actually _k, as mentioned all over. i'm really sorry cause i never found any comprehensive information. rather i found just a little mention in most sites and blogs comparing lcd-tv's with other other display screens. here's one link for example : #-Link-Snipped-#
    anyway a google search with "life of an lcd tv" yeilds lots of such other sites and they all seem to agree that it's the brightness that actually dims to half
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Hey Mahul,
    Does the half life (no not the game!!) have to do anything with the one related to radioactive elements? If it is, then is not the LCD tv screen toxic due to the very radiations?
  • mahul
    mahul
    no kidakaka there are no radioactive elements used in an lcd tv, but since all reactions (not only nuclear but also chemical) have a half-life hence the discharge inside a lcd-tv (which is also supposed to follow some sort of kinetics) also has a half-life. And by the way it seems to me that having radio active substances inside a tv would be way too dangerous(pls do correct me if i went wrong anywhere)
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    kidakaka
    Hey Mahul,
    Does the half life (no not the game!!) have to do anything with the one related to radioactive elements? If it is, then is not the LCD tv screen toxic due to the very radiations?
    LCD TV & Radioactivity 😁 Yay!

After Mahul posted, I searched a bit and found out about Half-Life stuff he talked about. LCD screen would display quality picture for 60,000 hours and once that limit is crossed, the bulb that powers the LCD (don't have much information about this yet) needs a replacement.

Of course, it has nothing to do with radioactivity.

Btw, Plasma TV has a shorter life of about 35,000 - 40,000 viewing hours.

-The Big K-
  • mahul
    mahul
    yeah _k u r right and i wd like to add that a crt screen has an even shorter half-life of about 15000-20000 hours
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I hear CRT monitors do emit radiation, mostly from the rear.
  • mahul
    mahul
    but that is not radioactive radiation, rather it is some other form of radiation, mostly uv as far as my knowledge goes.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    ah yea, good point. Oh well, the radiation still kills you 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Need some different ideas about project work. My name is Vinoth Sundar and I am just a registered member of CrazyEngineers and I am pretty clueless about which project to...
hi there peeps I need some help urgently....i am trying to program a pic16F877 using MPLAB v5.70.40. I have an ICD1? how do i go about doing this....i have the...
I just joined today so here is some information about myself Name: Abhilash Hota Trade: Electronics & Communication Location: Bhopal, India Occupation: Student( B.E. Fifth Semester university exams going on)...
Hello CEans, This is some information about me as a new CEan.. Name: Jack Robinson Engineering Trade: none as i am a CA from knowyourmoney.co.uk Location: UK. Occupation: Student Hobbies...
how can I access parallel port no using dll.And I can't use ddk for driver development(our instructor says). platform:windows xp language:cpp or c Ide:visual studio I lost my way in...