Leica Camera Designed By Apple’s Jonathan Ive Will Be Up For Auction In November

Before we begin, we would like to clarify this is not a new product from the Cupertino giant, but a one off piece Leica camera designed by Jonathan Ive for a charity auction. Apple’s Senior VP of Design, Jonathan Ive, who recently got the limelight for the colourful iOS 7 and the plastic iPhone 5C has teamed up with industrial designer Marc Newson to create the special edition of the Leica M camera for RED Charity auction to be held on 23 November in New York.

Leica Special Edition 1

Once you look at the body, you would notice that it is made out of anodised aluminium. This casing has got thousands of perforations to give it a rugged yet retro feel. In order to develop the camera, fifty five engineers worked for over 735 hours. During this journey of nearly 85 days, over 550 test models were made from a thousand prototype parts. Considering the amount of hard work that has gone into making this camera, its makers are hoping to get bids of up to $750,000 (approx 4,64,17,485 INR).

Leica Special Edition 2

If someone does win the auction, here is what he/she can expect in terms of functionality. The camera has 50mm f/2 lens along with a 24 megapixel full frame CMOS sensor. The losing bidders may not get disappointed because if they like, they can settle for a standard $7,000 Leica which has the same technical specifications as the special edition. The auction is being organised by U2’s leading vocalist Bono and will also feature other products like a grand piano, gold Apple earbuds and a cosmonaut suit. All proceeds from this charity will go to Global Fund to help them fight life threatening diseases like AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria.

Source: Jonathan Ive co-designs Leica camera for Red charity - BBC News

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Holy cow... Even daddy of all camera EOS-1D X is $300 less from this 😨.

Can we have one more prefix with thread in CE for these kind of gadgets , Only for Rich Boys 👀
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Agree with @#-Link-Snipped-#. But you must remember that this wasn't intended to be a consumer product, in the first place.
    Doesn't look any better to me than its peers. There's higher expectations from you, Mr. Ive!
    The camera is one of more than 40 items that will go up for auction, along with special 18K rose gold versions of Apple's EarPods and a customized Steinway piano.
    And there's no word yet on the auction's starting price on the camera - all we are doing is guesswork.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Friends generally I have seen transformers used in small equipment like chargers etc have windings of naked wire and separation between two layers is done by some fabric material..... My...
Researchers at the Disney Lab have formulated a new technology wherein people can actually experience the texture of a particular object being displayed in the touchscreen, the texture being conveyed...
Hello friends every body knows that current flows across the metals and the railway track and the rail compartments all are metal . So friends my question os that of...
i want any one to help me in my project . my project is to take infromatiom from gps module and send this information by gsm module to no. and...
Hi CEans I am Sarath kumar .C doing my automobile engineering.I have planned to do my project in Brakes India in Brakes but I am bit confused on the question...