LEDs..cheaper or costly..?

hello myself is bhuvan,
ELI5: Why are LED light bulbs so expensive while LED diodes are so cheap? : explainlikeimfive
heard that the chemicals used in coating of that expensive(becoz they are rare earth substances),..is that chemicals mandatory(in coating purpose) for the glowing of bulb?

Replies

• Akhil C Joy
    Akhil C Joy
    Hi Bhuvan,

Earlier stage LED bulbs were too costly. For these type high brightness LED we need cooling. So we use aluminum or special metal alloys as heat sink. This will increase the cost also.

Currently scenario changed a lot. You can buy a LED light with emergency backup and remote control for Rs 110/- Also a LED lamp I already bought for Rs 25/- and decoration led set for Rs 50/-

Note Some brands are giving warranties thats the reason their LED lamps are too costly.
  • bhuvan tej
    bhuvan tej
    ohh..thats cool..!neway thanks,Akhil c.
  • lal
    lal
    LEDs are supposed to be driven controllably. Usually closed loop current or temperature controlled circuits are used to drive LEDs. This itself is the main reason for high cost. And yes, proper heat management requires good designing and heatsinks too.

Cheap LEDs available in the market are not properly designed to dissipate heat and drive LEDs controllably. Hence such light fittings are low powered and under driven to extend life. This could be easily understood if a cheap LED is compared with an equivalent powered good quality (rather costly) one.

There are many more factors which affect the cost, like the quality of diode light output itself. Factors like CRI, colour temperature and efficacy are a few examples.
  • bhuvan tej
    bhuvan tej
    ohhkk even though diodes r at cheaper prices,cost is done for its contruction and to control the regulated input and output power purposes..i think if more current is driven into pn-juntion they may be damage of the juntion also

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I want to have a clear idea whether fashion designing and technology is regarded as an engineering branch and if discussions regarding such topic is allowed here. There's a much...
The tag of the newest budget smartphone on the block goes to Karbonn Titanium S205. Priced at Rs. 6790, the smartphone is up for competition against the likes of Xiaomi...
Researchers at the University of Colorado Boulder, in collaboration with the University of California, Berkeley and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) have been successful in developing microprocessor chip that...
Bharti Airtel has launched a new games subscription service that will let its users play over 2000 paid Android games for free on their devices by paying a nominal subscription...
Early today, China launched its most sophisticated observation satellite, Gaofen-4 as a part of the country’s HD earth observation project. At 00:04 am local time, Gaofen-4 was launched from the...