LED-fication of Buildings

Can anyone help me regarding LED-fication of Buildings. Where to purchase in bulk quantity? What is the max rating? Can we use it, both indoor and outdoor?

Replies

• KenJackson
    KenJackson
    IEEE Spectrum has had quite a number of articles on LEDs in recent years. All quite fascinating.

I couldn't find what I was looking for just now, but I remember reading in the print version that LED manufacturers have made very steady and excellent progress improving brightness, efficiency, and spectral range while reducing cost over a 30-year period. And that matches what I've casually observed. Good grief, even the traffic lights are LEDs now.

-------------------

Ah! #-Link-Snipped-# may have been it.
    With every decade since 1970, when the red LEDs hit their stride, they have gotten 20 times as bright and 90 percent cheaper per watt; the relation is known as Haitz's Law, and it applies also to yellow and blue LEDs, which were commercialized much later. ...

They now have everything they need to dominate lighting, except for a low enough price. But that, too, will soon come.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    As said by Ken you've so many choice for LED selection. In india i prefer everlight. And regarding your poll sure LED can replace CFL.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    @GF: The concept is new to me. What is this LED-fication exactly? Does it simply mean replacing lights with cheaper and efficient LEDs?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Issue
    @GF: The concept is new to me. What is this LED-fication exactly? Does it simply mean replacing lights with cheaper and efficient LEDs?
    Some work is going on in LED glow panels in which a flat panel flush with the wall or roof surface glows. The effect will be a shadow free illumination like day light. I do not know what this would do to circadian rhythms of the body. Biologically we need to differentiate between day and night. Otherwise it will create sleep problems, which may not mean much to CEans, who are already down the tube anyway.
  • KenJackson
    KenJackson
    bioramani,

Are you saying that a ceiling of uniform glow panels would be worse for the body than today's common rows of florescent tubes? I'm skeptical. Is there more information?

Some florescent tubes have a very limited spectrum. I think LEDs offer a greater potential for a fuller spectrum, or as you say, illumination like day light. I would expect that to be a good thing--a very good thing.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    KenJackson
    bioramani, Are you saying that a ceiling of uniform glow panels would be worse for the body than today's common rows of florescent tubes? I'm skeptical. Is there more information?
    There is no health hazard. All I meant was that such an illumination, though shadow free and easier on the eyes, will give an impression to the brain of a longer daylight period and therefore modify sleep behaviour. I am personally in favour of such lighting.
    I dislike fluorescent lighting.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Civilisation 2012 is a Civil Engineering Fest organized by CEG, Anna University, Chennai. It is an invitation to your ideas and explore the new era of Civil Engineering. It acts...
Techbazaar 2012 is a Technical Innovation Competition organized by BITS Pilani. It privides a platform for talented innovators to showcase their ingenuity and use technology to solve the problems of...
I wish to say that after taking the crash course from Study Smart, Guwahati I was able to clear the exam without any difficulties. Thanks to all the teachers of...
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
One simple interview question is: Introduce yourself or tell me about yourself. This is a very simple question, but it creates a mindset for interviewer about you. I want to...