Learning English

Hello Engineers,

While I was surfing the net I found a blog in which English was fluent in all the posts. There are many new kind of words which I referred Google for the meaning. But that's not the matter. What my desire is that I too want to know such English. I want some eBooks now from which I can learn something new about English and can speak with such fluency πŸ˜€thumbsup: with some new and different wordsπŸ‘).

Note: Please don't refer "Dictionary" please β˜• !!! I need something new!! new!! new!! for my ENGLISH thirst !! 😁

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I used to think if I used complex words in my written/verbal communication in English, I'd make a great impression. But the problem with such usage of English is that people don't understand it.

The beauty of communication lies in expressing things in a way people can understand it. πŸ˜€
  • gowthamanbu
    gowthamanbu
    But I need to know about it.. Though I will not use complex words but I need to know. So suggest something to improve my vocabulary!πŸ˜‰
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Start reading novels and newspapers regularly. When you come across a new (complex) word, try to figure out its meaning in the context of the text written around it without looking at the dictionary. Most GRE -aspirants follow the same practice. If you keep doing it persistently, after a while you will be amazed by the number of words you know and they will automatically appear in your writings and speech.
  • gowthamanbu
    gowthamanbu
    #-Link-Snipped-# Will do that soon!πŸ˜€
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    gowthamanbu
    #-Link-Snipped-# Will do that soon!πŸ˜€
    You must read these two small books:
    1. The Elements of Style by William Strunk Jr.
    Available here: Strunk, William, Jr. 1918. The Elements of Style
    2. The Complete Plain Words by Sir Ernest Gowers
    Available here: dl4all.com
    I read them often. Invaluable for engineers.
  • prashpan
    prashpan
    Read Unabridged versions of classical novels. You will have to keep a dictionary handy in order to make any progress.
    Examples Frankenstein, Moby Dick, Jane Austen, Dorian Grey, Dracula, By Mark Twain, Etc...
  • gowthamanbu
    gowthamanbu
    #-Link-Snipped-# Thanks a lot sir!πŸ˜€

#-Link-Snipped-# Will do it man!!!πŸ˜€
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    The best way would be to practice. Now you'll ask how?

One idea could be starting a movie or game review blog. Write reviews about new games/movies and you'll notice with every post, you'll learn something new.

Just reading something regarding any topic doesn't work unless you apply that knowledge practically. My friend, practical world is much more different than the theoretical world...πŸ˜‰
  • gowthamanbu
    gowthamanbu
    #-Link-Snipped-# Something Different You're πŸ˜€
  • vamsi kancharla
    vamsi kancharla
    gowthamanbu
    But I need to know about it.. Though I will not use complex words but I need to know. So suggest something to improve my vocabulary!πŸ˜‰
    the best method is to go for reading news papers of low level language and next high standard english paper and carry a small dictionary with you i helps you a lot
  • sumit Biswas
    sumit Biswas
    that's a right method and also start watching english movies alongwith subtitles it will help you a lot...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Gereenindex measures and monitor the progress of consumers from different countries toward environmentally sustainable consumption. This survey results are rolled out by National Geographic society in association with GlobeScan. The...
Just now a friend told me that CDAC's C-CAT Result is announced today. She has a difficulty in calculating the percentile. Did anyone here take C-CAT 2012? What is your...
I wanted to do projects on control system, to understand it fully.. Please help me about the ideas..
now here is another automatic scooter from hero (formerly known as hero-honda). this one looks like quite the rip-off of the honda activa. now this is the second such a...
Hi Friends, I need to buy a new Portable External HDD (1Tb), but after reading reviews at many sites for Seagate and WesternDisk(WD), I am in confusion. I want your...