Launch fast & iterate fast OR wait till we think we're ready for launch?

So, we've been working on an interesting new thing here on CrazyEngineers. Launching it would mean we expose our ass to the world for flowers and/or rotten tomatoes - meaning the real world may accept it and enjoy using it or just reject it badly.

On one thought, we are wondering whether we should launch it and keep making changes to it based on user feedback and on the other hand we want to wait till we are happy with it and are launch ready.

What do you think is a better strategy to launch?

Replies

• Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    At the end of the day users are going to be the ones who decide the success or failure of the feature. So I would like to suggest that you launch the feature and call it as "Beta" so that people know that is just a test and not the final product and keep making changes based on user feedback and once both you and a majority of users on CE are happy with the feature make it a permanent one.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    We're incredibly concerned about the user interface and have no doubt about the usefulness of the product. The need exists; but the fear of rejection is only because of the User Interface. A good product may go down because of a user interface that people don't get it 'immediately'.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Launch it, the world is going agile. Let me tell you the projects currently i am working on are all on Agile, people use it give feedback and then we do it what they want.

Trust be, even if the UI is not that great it evolves. If you think the product is good to use then launch it, we here will give you what to change..
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Quite interesting feedback! 😀

I always thought that the first version shouldn't really be embarrassing because negative feedback can blow up a really great product.
    But I guess the modern mantra is "Deploy, Deploy, Deploy!"
    Shipping is the key. If we have a really good product, but it is kept in the shell, it is no good.
    It would be good to hear more responses on this one.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Actually this is how it goes as per me. You have a product in mind which you think is awesome , and the like minded people around you think the same.

You develop it, and you want people to use it and like it, so you go into minute details for all the defects and rich UI experience etc.,

But when it comes to the actual users, you might be missing some basic functionality they are expecting and you get feedback on that, and you need to change your design.

So let the UI have minor issues and let it not be so rich, just show it people will use it , will suggest and after that the product will be awesome.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    If you are going to use your prime audience for testing, be ready for brick-bats. Testing should be tiered. Start with good set of QA testers, then have acceptance testing followed by beta testing.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @#-Link-Snipped-# - We've already done the testing and are pretty confident that the system works well. The only botheration is the UI; which we aren't very happy with. Of course everyone will have their own opinion about the UI; and our concern is that the UI shouldn't kill a highly useful and functional product.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Select Beta users to get early review then beta to all users 😀
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    +1for Anoop Kumar
    waiting for announcement
  • Megha S
    Megha S
    I think it also depends on how long the wait is for you to feel launch ready. I never feel a job is 100% perfect, at least not by everyone involved. So whenever you launch, you will need to be prepared for feedback/changes. Pick the option that works better for both user and developer. you can also launch, upgrade and revert changes if needed. If an early launch makes more sense for users, try it!
    In today's world it wouldn't hurt.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @#-Link-Snipped-# - We've already done the testing and are pretty confident that the system works well. The only botheration is the UI; which we aren't very happy with. Of course everyone will have their own opinion about the UI; and our concern is that the UI shouldn't kill a highly useful and functional product.
    If you are worried about UI, launch some teaser ads (with pics ofcourse) to gauge audience's reaction.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Write & what do you think about olx.in. How does OLX make money?
Did a quick search on various popular eCommerce websites but couldn't find a good 802.11ac Wi-Fi adapter. If you have any recommendations for one; please let me know. I'd like...
New York City's Metropolitan Transportation Authority has started testing four different systems which would detect people who have accidentally fallen on subway tracks and trigger alarms to warn subway train...
Nokia is building a smartphone featuring Android OS and if certain reports are to be believed, it may be launched as early as 2014. Nicknamed Nokia Normandy, this is going...
Quote: Macro photography excels at bringing out amazing details in things too otherwise tiny to appreciate. 'Tis the season, so what better time to see what snowflakes really look like?...