Latch vs flipflop - differences

someone say latch work without clock, some says it is level triggered....lot of confusion..
in interview they said tell something else about latch and flipflop....

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Latch is a form of Flip flop which does not use the edge of the pulse as triggering center

It needs a levelled input to trigger

Whereas a flip flop uses only the edges for triggerring which makes it more advantageous to use it than latch in many applications
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Flipflop have clock and latch domt have clock. NEVER SAY THAT IF THIS QUESTION IS ASKED!

Difference is, what Jeffery said, in simple words, flop is edge triggered while latch is level triggered.
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    exactly all are above are saying right.latch is level triggered and flipflop is an edge triggered.but both are considered as logical device to implement the task.
  • pratap singh, upendra
    pratap singh, upendra
    to add to the above remember that a latch is the basic structural unit of a rather complex flip flop(just like cells in our body); flip flops with different functionality could be developed by logically connecting latches and then supplying a clock source at the input ends. in addition flip flops can also be level trigered though they are not usually put in that configuration, the reason being that they are sophisticated and require finite timing sequences to change their states.

every latch is a flip flop but the converse is not true.

however both remain digital logic implementing circuits/devices
  • solar morpher
    solar morpher
    proffy
    every latch is a flip flop but the converse is not true.

however both remain digital logic implementing circuits/devices
    Even the forward is not true as every latch is a flip flop until a first transition occurs in the output. But due to races the statement is not widely used. But to an extent we can say it is a reality

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey, I'm planning to interface a webcam with a phone using bluetooth module. The phone must be able to capture and save the image. All these assembly must be portable....
Hello, I am Tarun and I am studying electronics engineering. I want to know what is the actual meaning of peizoelectric effect? Please explain it in simple words.
Hi , Finally we decided to make a final year project in Electrical Control as " Plastic Thermoforming Production Line " , I arranged the processes as follow : 1-...
This style of drawing is a tribute to xkcd. You all know what that site is about 😀
Can a non Android mobile be used to access CE website with all its functionalities