Lasers big enough to destroy missiles and small enough to power handheld projectors?

Hi All, I am pretty new to the forums and I am not an electrical guy. In fact, I am a computer guy. But for some reason I am fascinated with lasers and I thought that this might be the place to find my answers? I know so little about electrical engineering that I could be totally wrong.

I have been seeing laser are getting very advanced. I read in the news last week that there are now lasers that they attach to airplanes that can shoot down scud missles! That's crazy! They said there are many different types in the works. I feel like real life Star Trek is right around the corner.

Next I found out they are using little tiny lasers to run handheld projectors. Talk about the opposite end of the spectrum! How in the world do they pack one into such a small case (smaller than most cell phones) and put up such big pictures? (example: AAXA L1 SVGA Laser Pico Projector Review )

Well, that's my rant for now. I think it is crazy how advanced these guys are getting. What's next?

Replies

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ
    Re: Lasers big enough to destroy missiles and small enough to power handheld projecto

Once the price on blue laser diodes come down and they figure out hot to make commercially viable green diodes in quantity then we will be seeing these laser projection built into a kind of devices from phones to digital cameras. Looks like the AAXA L1 has already made a big step in that direction.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

how can i compute the flow rate with a pressure of 30 PSI on a 1 inch pipe? is it possible? i dont know how to get the velocity, or...
Can you guys help me how to solve the Flow rate if i have 1 inch pipe with a 30 psi pressure,... actually my problem is how to get the...
Following Pakistan, Bangladesh too has banned Facebook. The reason being a page on Facebook that's asking users to draw images of Islam's Prophet Muhammad. Chief telecommunication regulator Zia Ahmed said...
Yahoo exodus continues and gets worse. Tapan Bhat, the designer of Yahoo's famous (and useful) front page is leaving the company. Its not certain what Mr. Bhat plans to do...
IIT JEE Results were declared on 30th May 2010. This years Topper AIR 1 is Jithendar Reddy Anumula from NARAYANA. Congratulations to Jithendar for his Success. 😀