Laser System Scans Road Accurately Even At 100 kmph

Germans take the roads seriously - and have developed a new high-speed laser scanning technology to survey the roads for evenness & overall quality. Research engineers at Fraunhofer Institute For Physical Measurement Techniques (IPM) in Freiburg have developed a high-speed laser scanner to be approved by the Federal Highway Research Institute for measuring the evenness of the roads in Germany. A single laser scanner can survey a 4 meter wide road effortlessly even at 100 kmph.

slide

The scanner itself is of the size of a shoebox fixed on the vehicle at about a height of 3 meters. A mirror assembly guides the laser across the width of the road at 90 degrees to the direction of the vehicle. An acquisition angle of 70 degrees is enough to scan th entire width of the road up to 4m wide. The signals that reflect from the asphalt in the road are captured and are fed to a scanner. The scanner then determines the time it took for the signal to return and performs calculations related to the evenness of the road. The accuracy of this machine is impressive - ranging between 0.15-0.30 mm.

The research team says that the external light conditions have no impact on the measurements and the operations can be performed with a vehicle moving at 100 kmph. The machine has already passed the initial field tests. IPM has scanned 15k kilometers of highways and other major roads across Germany.

Source: Surveying roads at 100 km/h - Research News April 2013 - Topic 4

Replies

• Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Engineering ideas at its best! Kudos to them as It's the idea that mattes.

I was just wondering, what would have stopped them that they have chosen to take limited the area to 4 meters in width?

They could built up auto intelligence in system that while surveying a big area, it could find out how much part of the road is constructed to calculate the evenness (or if they are surveying non-road area) depending on surface type.

-CB
  • rocky14321
    rocky14321
    nice thread this can be implemented in india too

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Have any one used new QTP version 11.5 that is also named as UFT 11.5? Sometime back, HP released the long awaited new version of QTP which is now called...
is there any indian standard or code for lock out tag out procedures? there is a mention in the indian electricity rules and also somewhere in the factories act but...
Ok,so finally I have started learning java..and I have some newbie doubts which can annoy the answerer(they can be a lil dumb)..Please help me out CEans!😀 1.Can we not define...
Hello everyone.. My name is Himanshu Juneja and i am new in this forum. I want to share my knowledge to everyone and also get some knowledge from you guys....
Hi guys, I am Calvin Brave, newbie is here. Looking forward to discussing stuff with you all.I have just discovered this website and I hope to contribute a few of...