Large Hadron Collider (LHC)

Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is going to be started on 10th Sept 2008. Its prepared by CERN (Europian Organization for Nuclear Research).

Read the news here...
#-Link-Snipped-#

More about LHC is here...
#-Link-Snipped-#

More about CERN is here...
#-Link-Snipped-#
Cern

--Differential

Replies

• JTankers
    JTankers

Abstract below from Dr. Rossler's plea to the world, copy and links available at #-Link-Snipped-#

"A nightmarish situation, that can still be hoped to be averted in time through communication within the scientific community, is drawn attention to. Only a few weeks remain to find out whether the danger is real or nothing but a mirage. After this time window is closed, it will take years until we know whether or not we are doomed. The story line has all the features of a best-selling novel. The reader is asked to contribute constructively."

Quote from Dr. Otto E. Rossler, Professor Theoretical Biochemist, visiting Professor of Theoretical Physics, inventor of the Rossler Attractor, founder of Endophysics, winner of the 2003 Chaos Award of the University of Liege and the 2003 Rene Descartes Award.
  • THEFIFTHKNIGHT
    THEFIFTHKNIGHT
    It is just a matter of time, before we see where this race is leading us. There is a band of scientists, physicists, and mathematicians scattered worldwide, that believe this (especially the ALICE heavy Lead (Pb) ion collisions) will create a Mobius Rip in Time, a Black Hole, or even an expanding Quantum Wormhole! They have been out-cast, gag-ordered, and left without a patform 'voice', against a predetermined scientific verdict. Denied and swatted down, all because their views flew in the face of the current interpreted 'Standard Model'. This does not make them right, but neither are the scientific communities correct to deny their right to be heard! So I say: Lift the gag-orders now, and let them be heard, without additional punishment!

CERN LHC/ALICE/ATLAS
  • SaneScience
    SaneScience
    [SIZE=-2]Man's technology has exceeded his grasp. - 'The World is not Enough'
    Zealous Nobel Prize hungry Physicists are racing each other and stopping at nothing to try to find the supposed 'Higgs Boson'(aka God) Particle, among others, and are risking nothing less than the annihilation of the Earth and all Life in endless #-Link-Snipped-# hoping to prove a theory when urgent tangible problems face the planet. The European Organization for Nuclear Research(CERN) new Large Hadron Collider(LHC) is the world's most powerful atom smasher that will soon be firing subatomic particles at each other at nearly the speed of light to create #-Link-Snipped-# producing #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-# and other potentially cataclysmic phenomena.
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-2] Particle physicists have run out of ideas and are at a dead end forcing them to take reckless chances with more and more powerful and costly machines to create new and never-seen-before, unstable and unknown matter while #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-#
    The LHC is a dangerous gamble as CERN physicist Alvaro De Rújula in the BBC LHC documentary, #-Link-Snipped-#, incredibly admits quote, "Will we find the Higgs particle at the LHC? That, of course, is the question. And the answer is, #-Link-Snipped-#." And CERN spokesmodel Brian Cox follows with this stunning quote, "#-Link-Snipped-#."
    The CERN-LHC website Mainpage itself states: "#-Link-Snipped-#,..." Again, this is because they truly don't know what's going to happen. They are #-Link-Snipped-# with forces they don't understand to obtain results they can't comprehend. #-Link-Snipped-#. Some people think similarly about medical Dr.s but consider this by way of comparison and example from JAMA: "A recent Institute of Medicine report quoted rates estimating that #-Link-Snipped-#." The second part of the CERN quote reads "...but what's for sure is that a brave new world of physics will emerge from the new accelerator,..." A molecularly changed or Black Hole consumed Lifeless World? The end of the quote reads "...as knowledge in particle physics goes on to describe the workings of the Universe." These experiments to date have so far produced infinitely more questions than answers but there isn't a particle physicist alive who wouldn't gladly trade his life to glimpse the "God particle", and sacrifice the rest of us with him. Reason and common sense will tell you that the risks far outweigh any potential(as CERN physicists themselves say) benefits.
    [/SIZE]

This quote from National Geographic exactly sums this "science" up: "That's the essence of experimental particle physics: You smash stuff together and see what other stuff comes out."
    Find out more about that "stuff" below;
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Popular Mechanics - "World's Biggest Science Project Aims to Unlock 'God Particle'" - #-Link-Snipped-#"
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Whoa, scary stuff! Mini big bangs? Black holes?

Moving to the Infocus section πŸ˜€
  • gohm
    gohm
    Granted there are some possible side effects and possible dangers with the LHC, it is not possible for it to create black holes, worm holes or other science fiction type scare tactics. There is simply not enough matter and energy involved to develop and maintain something of that magnitude. Society is naturally fearful of new and unknown technology so all kinds of crazy assumptions are made. Like cell phones causing cancer. I think we should relax, learn about the function and science of the LHC and familiarize ourselves with the real possible negative aspects of the device not the scary stories.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    But Gohm, the fact that CERN scientists themselves are not sure of the effects is still a concern. When involving high energy particles, you can create quite a large output. While we cannot assume big bangs and black holes will happen (yeah I agree, its quite fantastical), but can neither neglect possible side effects.

Think of nuclear energy.
    Controlled = Nuclear Power Plants
    Uncontrolled = BOOM

Regarding cellphone causing cancers, thats still an on going debate. You'd need decades of studies to acertain the results. For sure cellphones (and their respective base transciever stations) give out radiation. But how much it'll effect the human? *shrugs*

At least there are strict regulations on RF power output, and devices are requiring less transcieve power the better technology improves.

It is better to assume the worse and work towards finding solutions or alternatives πŸ˜‰
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Well,i think sceintist are not that stupid abt not knowing the effects,and why they are doing on this planet when they themselves aint sure abt its consequences???Its all bull-shit,human instinct never allows to destroy there homes.
  • Differential
    Differential
    Here is a link that will tell more about LHC.........
    #-Link-Snipped-#

--Differential
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Oh boy, has the machine started yet? I'm already bit nervous.
  • Differential
    Differential
    The_Big_K
    Oh boy, has the machine started yet? I'm already bit nervous.
    πŸ˜›
    Not yet ! It will start approx at 12.30 pm (IST)
    For more info, please check this out !
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    B O O M !!!

Hopefully Malaysia is away from the blast / black hole radius πŸ˜›
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Some relief -

[youtube]o4C8WeAAjN8[/youtube]

😁 Hurray!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    lol πŸ˜› Love his shirt!

If you are bored, you can find out the live status of the LHC here:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • gohm
    gohm
    Yep, successful test. I've got more important things to worry about than a sci-fi wormhole created by the lhc allowing prehistoric aliens from another dimension on earth... laugh.
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    Oh this all looks like a farce. Albeit, if they prove they are really going to find Higgs Boson.

They just let the first proton ray through the LHC yesterday. They will try to collide the two rays on 21st October when the LHC will be officially unveiled. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Not because its going to cause a catastrophe, because I'm not sure about the success of the experiment. :hehehe:
  • kedarjk
    kedarjk
    I think that LHC project will be a success and whole world will be benefited from it.
    After seeing yesterdays videos, I think they will make it because well begun is half done.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello, i need some topics for projects in mechanical engineering field
Hello All, I'm extremely proud to write here that Abhinav Bindra has won India's first ever gold medal in the history of Olympics in an individual event. 😁 Check the...
I really want to know that is there any previous check that can be done on the people taking loan from the company who might cause a risk to the...
Hi again.. Does any one among you know VBA? Actually I am writing a Macro for Ms Word, and am stuck up. If any one knows VBA please let me...
Hi Everyone, Yesterday I met with an accident and by the help of God still alive and writing this thread.😎 Yesterday I was walking to my house. Since It was...