Laptop recommendations : Normal Use, Rs. 30 K Budget, HP or Sony?

I want to purachase a laptop for normal use. I have option either sony or hp .which brand is best for normal use.......?

Replies

• Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Ajay Pandey
    I want to purachase a laptop for normal use. I have option either sony or hp .which brand is best for normal use.......?
    Please tell for what things you'll be using your laptop, it would help to suggest the best one in your budget.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    It's difficult to advise because the use is going to be Internet Browsing (mainly) and document editing. If you're looking for a gaming laptop, let us know. It'd also help if you could tell us whether you want to go with default Windows installation or want a plain machine on which you can install any operating system of your choice.

HP or Sony may not be the best of a choice. I'd recommend reviewing with your friends who offers better customer care.

A general advice would be to buy a system with at least 4 Gigs of RAM and at least 500 GB of storage. I'd also recommend buying a plain machine and then install Linux flavour of your choice. It's a huge cost saver.

Also consider battery life of the models, it's one of the most important feature that's often ignored.
  • Ajay Pandey
    Ajay Pandey
    I am working as JAVA Developer so I need to install eclipse, netbeans, for Struts, Hibernate, Spring, Oracle, MySQL. I never play game but watching movies, listening music and browsing.
    Earlier I was purchased Dell laptop but my experience is not very good. I am looking another brand.

Thanks
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Go to near Lenovo AUTHENTICATED dealer see if you can find configuration for yourself.
    Never buy laptop with graphics card in this range it will eat up your chipset and life will be short.
    preferably go with Core i5 (3rd or 4th generation)

PS: Netbeans sucks. Try Intellij Idea Download IntelliJ IDEA: The Capable & Ergonomic Java IDE by JetBrains.
  • pradeep.pawar
    pradeep.pawar
    Ajay Pandey
    I am working as JAVA Developer so I need to install eclipse, netbeans, for Struts, Hibernate, Spring, Oracle, MySQL. I never play game but watching movies, listening music and browsing.
    Earlier I was purchased Dell laptop but my experience is not very good. I am looking another brand.

Thanks
    As per your software requirements you need a better hardware and so the mentioned budget is not enough you will need to invest few more bucks.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I agree with @#-Link-Snipped-# You'll have to determine your hardware configuration based on your software requirements. I think for all the applications you mentioned, a system with minimum 4GB of RAM, 500 GB HDD, Intel i5 and higher should suffice. Even if the budget exceeds by a few thousands, I'd recommend opting for a capable machine; because it will serve you for 5 years at least.
  • Ajay Pandey
    Ajay Pandey
    Last time wn I was in my college, I purchased costly Dell laptop with Graphics (GPU) which dead within 3 year . So please suggest me such laptop that can have at least 5 year life span .now budget is no issue.

Thanks
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    If Budget is no issue, I'd strongly recommend a Macbook Air. You can't go wrong with Apple's products and I'm sure OSX would run all the software you mentioned.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Ajay Pandey
    . So please suggest me such laptop that can have at least 5 year life span .now budget is no issue.

Thanks
    If you want life span then buy business series of HP/Lenovo you wont disappoint with performance and rigidness.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    If you are a developer, GPU is a secondary consideration. Focus on getting max. RAM, HDD, CPU cores. IDEs are getting heavier by the day and app development usually involves running an eco-system of apps.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @#-Link-Snipped-# - do you think 4GB would suffice for his requirements? I've absolutely no clue how much memory does Windows 8 consume and whether it'd slow down the things when Eclipse and one more IDE / Compiler is running.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    I've a Dell latitude E5410 running win7 with 4GB memory. But for development, I use a desktop with 8GB memory - sometimes in combination with the laptop with heavy app. servers running on the desktop.

With opensource development, one has an option to choose linux which significantly improves the mileage one gets out of the hardware. But for proprietary app. development, windows is the only option.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Right. I was wondering if uBuntu would be the most ideal OS to run on 4GB machine for pure dev use. @#-Link-Snipped-# - are you comfortable using uBuntu?
  • Ajay Pandey
    Ajay Pandey
    yes ,I am comfortable using uBuntu.......................
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    I think 4 GB would be sufficient take at least core i5 3rd gen or similar processor get a small dedicated graphic also for videos etc.

Don't go for heavy graphics they shorten the battery life.

And yes, prefer a DOS machine, you'll save around 5-6k bucks, which you can invest in hardware, so that it would be used for at least 5-6 years without making you feel to throw it away.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi all, Starting today, I've started working full time at the CE Headquarters. (Yep, for the past one year I was only here part time.) I am declaring December 2013...
Hello, I want to get a broadband connection in Gananjay Society area of Kothrud in Pune. I have seen plans from many ISP's and talked to many people in area...
Hi, My name is vishal and I will be heading to B'lore for a winter internship in Aerospace Engg. Can anyone help me regarding pg accommodation from Dec 10 to...
MEGA, the app that was launched this summer on Android is now on iOS. The secure cloud storage service that the MEGA app provides comes as a follow-up after the...
Micromax, the big gun in the Indian mobile industry, is here with the launch of a new smartphone called the Micromax Bolt A61. In the range of phones below Rs....