Laptop overcharge?

Will I reduce the battery life of the laptop if I continue to plug it in the wall even when it reaches 100% ?
Should I remove the battery when it's fully charged?

Btw, I'm having a Dell Studio 1555.

Replies

• Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Keeping your laptop plugged in for long periods of time will harm it in the long run. You should calibrate your battery at least once in three months to make sure your battery is in shape. Follow this procedure :

1. In Windows, right-click the Desktop and select Properties in the menu list.
    2. Click the Screen Saver tab and then click the Power button.
    3. Under Power schemes, select Always On in the drop down menu.
    4. Under Settings for Always On power scheme, select Never in each of the drop down menus. [Optional] : Use the save as option to save this power scheme as calibration scheme.
    5. Click OK on the Power Options Properties window and then click OK on the Display Properties window.
    [SOURCE : #-Link-Snipped-#

Now, plug-in your laptop and fully charge your battery. Next, remove the AC power adapter and discharge your battery completely, till the time your laptop automatically shuts down. Now recharge your battery. That's it you're done. visit the link above for more tips on how you can increase your battery life.

[EDIT]
    While you're doing this, make sure you are not working on anything important as the computer will shutdown without a warning!! The best thing you can do while waiting for the battery to discharge is to watch a movie on it or listen to songs!! Also, you can plug-in as many USB devices as you have, these draw considerable amount of power and will help in draining the battery faster.
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Nice tips.

Was just wondering that next time when i'll try to boot up my system and it will check for resuming the session and system file checking. I will keep my fingers crossed that no file gets corrupted and system boots properly.

Also, would not like to try this trick on on systems with linux.

-CrazyGirl.
  • saurabh2486
    saurabh2486
    well well its just like overcharging ur mobile battery it will reduce the life of ur battery my friend and yaa these tips are really useful 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello everyone. This is priyadharsan, Mechanical Engg. Im struggling to start designing a blower system, hope i ll find a idea/solution to start and finish it up soon. here it...
"F" My Life!! What's your confession of the day? Did anything bad happened to you and for what you don't give a damn?? Post it here. Idea originated when I...
hi frnds i am an final year electrical student, plzzz somebody suggest me some projects and seminar topics
hi every body, I want ur help engineers I want to ask what is the program to compile NesC and from where can I download it? And what about TinyOS?...
Quick Heal CEan of the month July 2009 is... 😁CEan - Godfather😁 ​ CEan Godfather aka Er. Harshad Italiya is one of the seasoned members of CrazyEngineers, actively involved in...