Laptop for engineering students : Windows 7 on i5?

Hello,
I am an engineering student and thinking of buying laptop for project work. I am thinking of i3 or i5. But i5 leads to very high costs. And heard that windows 7(32 bit) got some issues on i5. Also windows 8 is unstable and has few software issues. Please guide me and which are the laptop configurations best suited for engineering project work.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think you don't have to worry about the processor. Windows 7 would run fine on i3 and i5 and I'd recommend going with what suits your budget. No need to spend extra for i5. However, everything needs on your needs. Answer these questions -
    1. What type of work will you do on your laptop: Apart from Internet & Programming?
    2. Do you wish to play video games on it?
    3. Do you wish to run graphics intensive software on your laptop viz. Autocad, CAD / CAM software etc.?
    In 99% of the cases, students typically use their laptops to browse Internet (facebook,gmail) and play games. Students from CS/IT background would use it for coding - and I'm sure an i3 is much more capable than what you need.
    Windows 7 OR Windows 8 - does not matter as long as you have all the software available. If you are buying a laptop with pre-installed operating system, chances are that you'll get Windows 8. All of the open source software (that you'd use for coding and programming) should run well on it.
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    patil.ashu01
    Hello,
    I am an engineering student and thinking of buying laptop for project work. I am thinking of i3 or i5. But i5 leads to very high costs. And heard that windows 7(32 bit) got some issues on i5. Also windows 8 is unstable and has few software issues. Please guide me and which are the laptop configurations best suited for engineering project work.
    Why not go for Linux! I am sure #-Link-Snipped-# can give you better opinion in this regard๐Ÿ˜€
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    It's quite tough to encourage people to move to Linux,because of the misconception that Linux is not user-friendly.
    We don't have to manually compile the kernel source after every kernel update now - Those days are gone !
    Linux is very user-friendly,It's just not ignorant friendly.

Anyways, #-Link-Snipped-# I see you are a CS student,so I will recommend you to buy a laptop with good configuration (i3 is more than enough if you're not planning for gaming) & boot Linux.(Ubuntu or Linux Mint will be easy for new linux user)

Just google : "Ubuntu" OS.If you like Ubuntu (Sure you will) & if you are planning to use it as primary OS,then do reply here we would be glad to help you out.(From installation to every possible thing)
    Did I said that Ubuntu (or any other Linux based OS) is(are) FREE!

#-Link-Snipped-# thanks mate for tagging me.
    But hey, Are you using Linux ? ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    Abhishek Rawal
    But hey, Are you using Linux ? ๐Ÿ˜‰
    I had used different versions of Ubuntu dual booting with Windows (had to format due to bootloader problems ๐Ÿ˜ ),but then solved that problem and kept using dual boot system, then tried Linux Mint ,Red Hat and finally returned to Ubuntu๐Ÿ˜€.
    Right now using only Windows..๐Ÿ˜”, would return to Linux world soon..๐Ÿ‘

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

One idea can change everything. This simple pot acts as an electricity-free refrigerator that allows hundreds of thousands of people to keep food fresh. The elegant concept, developed by Mohammed...
Gallium is a metal that can melt in your hand. Via Science Is Awesome โ€‹
Mathematics is the language of the universe. Image: Nikki Graziano via From Quarks to Quasars โ€‹
Engineer meets Naturalist โ€‹
Do you think it would be cool to drive off the freeway into your office building? Gate Tower Building in Osaka, Japan The Gate Tower Building in Osaka, Japan is...