Lamp in our house, but giving light to the neighbours. Is it justified?

The topic of this debate is directly imported from the Indian Movie "Swades"

What I mean to say is, a person is born and brought up in his/her own country.
But, after growing up, he/she starts doing work to develop other country.

Is this justifiable? Don't we have anything to give back to the nation which provided us with shelter, food, clothing...to the country whom we can call ours in every sense?

It's true that when a lamp is lit, it is bound to give light in it's surroundings.
But when the people who put oil in the lamp are in dark, where is the lamp spreading it's light?

What's your take on this?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Those who haven't seen the movie, let me tell you the plot in brief: A successful engineer working with NASA returns to India to take his mom to USA. After staying in USA for a long time, he begins to see his homeland in a new way - he sees problems, poverty. Situations make him offer solutions to the problems and ultimately, he uses his engineering knowledge to bring electricity to the village despite many challenges.
  • gohm
    gohm
    It's a good film. Yes, it is justifiable. I'm proud of my nation, however it is a mostly theoretical concept. Myself, my family and my community provides me with shelter, food & clothing; not my government.
  • vishnu priya
    vishnu priya
    Exactly Gohm,.I second it!
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I'm proud of my nation, however it is a mostly theoretical concept.
    Well, how can the feeling of being proud about our Nation, be just a theoretical concept?

Another line from the same film is, "Who will dirty one's hands in the cleaning of our own house?"
    If everyone finds shelter in some another country, who will help our own country rise and shine?
  • gf321
    gf321
    Atleast today in the era of globalization there is nothing called one's own country
    a country is nothing but a bunch of lines drawn on a paper anyways..
    a country is still a bigger quantity i wonder why people dont say that people born in a town should work for the development of that town only, afterall this statement also goes by the same logic as presented in the opening post.. when we have developed enough and are thinking about the development of country instead of town, then the next logical step obviously is to think about the development of the whole world and not any perticular country.

I guess we should forget about this age old notion and work for the development of mankind wherever we find the opportunity

Just my 2 cents...
  • Neema Ambhurkar
    Neema Ambhurkar
    I agree! Our government system is indeed very corrupt and unpromising. There's hardly any scope for any researches, innovations. The process itself takes very long. First you have to submit an application, then it is looked on after long time. After that, the materials you need to be supplied for your project or research or whatever is even more delayed. This is the most common reason (I think) for people to work in foreign countries(even if they want to live in India).
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @gf321:

The whole concept of Globalization is misunderstood by the masses. When we develop our country we develop the world, the globe.

When there are 1000 of resources and great minds, already available in other countries, our contribution there, is of little importance.

While, even a small bulb lit in our own country, makes the whole nation proud and takes the country one step forward...

It's just that, it takes a lot of passion and guts to spread light in total darkness...
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    I have seen 100 times people talk about the lamp in our house giving light to the neighborhood but I havn't seen much person talking about the moles (politicians) in our house who are eating up our property. We should be more concern about removing these moles then the lamp which is atleast giving light to someone.
    I have already written much about my view about country & world so plz go here & read -> #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Rucha Wankhede
    Rucha Wankhede
    Not at all justified. You were born here which of course you didn't choose. If its about helping mankind everywhere and anywhere why not start with the closest and the most relevant one. Why would anyone want to go run for Himalayas to save forests there when the trees in your own neighborhood could be saved first.
    Not working for anything is just a convenient excuse to absolve yourself of all the responsibility and run for the greener pastures away. It outright selfish under the garb of personal fulfillment and progress.
    Get down to work here instead of wearing your ass off for some far flung already rich country, which can well do without you but your country can't afford the luxury of losing bright resource as you. It is worth every bit every ounce of your energy because you make a difference where it is so painfully needed which alone justifies it, a thousand times more.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Why do many Indians want to leave India to settle abroad?
    An argument thrown is "it is slightly easy to establish yourself abroad with lesser population, more resources, enough encouragement and a lot of support."

There are so many people out there who are some of the finest minds in the country, who leave India only to return as the VPs and Presidents of big corporations all in a span of only 15-20 years. Once you get to that level, you have a lot of doors open in India. You not only have the status and expertise, but also the resources and contacts to make things happen here.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    The light, if it is helped to grow to its fullest luminosity by an external power source (a line with higher power output), has a responsibility to shine in that house at least for some time. Remember, those who have gone abroad to study, owe their technical expertise to the superior educators abroad. As such, evsn if for a short while, they owe that country their intellectual output. Remember, ultimately the bulb realized greater levels of luminosity by getting connected to that line. The bulb got technically enriched. In the long run, it should however decide to bring light to ots own people.

That being said, tell me how a technical person is supposed to become a technologist in this suffocating back pffice culture promoted by the outsourcing giants, those who pay engineers a decent sum of money and make them do jobs where all their potential is slowly murdered. After a few years, they are not even confident enough to tackle the unknown. note, I am not talking about everyone here. In such a scenario, of a person decides to go abroad and gain education and superior technical work experience, I do not see how that becomes giving light to the neighbor. That neighbor gave you the best they had, technically. Again, that being said, the person should definitely return to the motherland and MUST use that experience to pay the dues owed to the motherland. But one does need to have that confidence, built upon solid technical expertise.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Rucha Wankhede
    Not at all justified. You were born here which of course you didn't choose. If its about helping mankind everywhere and anywhere why not start with the closest and the most relevant one. Why would anyone want to go run for Himalayas to save forests there when the trees in your own neighborhood could be saved first.
    Not working for anything is just a convenient excuse to absolve yourself of all the responsibility and run for the greener pastures away. It outright selfish under the garb of personal fulfillment and progress.
    Get down to work here instead of wearing your ass off for some far flung already rich country, which can well do without you but your country can't afford the luxury of losing bright resource as you. It is worth every bit every ounce of your energy because you make a difference where it is so painfully needed which alone justifies it, a thousand times more.
    With all due respect, get down to work, and be what exactly? An engineer who works in the ODC of a company which has 25000 employees in the same campus, 15000 of which are as engineer as you, and working on developing utilities for the very same already rich MNCs? Does that not go against your primary line of reasoning already?

If by that you mean startup something of your own, do you intend to imply that one has the necessary technical expertise for doing that? Right after that so coveted BE?

The problem is that all those who did not go abroad think that those who did, went for $$ only. No. A lot of them went because it gives you a chance to stand out and actually realize your potential and be a true "engineer". An engineer is not one who has 8 paper pieces at the end of 4 years. An engineer is one who can tackle technical problems based on individual expertise and experience. And if you have a chance to get that abroad, I say you have every right to go for it. What I do not support is the idea that people want to settle there citing problems in India. No. Unacceptable. Go there, educate yourself, gain experience and then come back to develop India. The problem is that everybody has an opinion. It is very easy to extrapolate when one does not have enough data.

P.S: This is not true for everyone, but lets not draw sweeping conclusions. There are two sides to everything.
  • Charan V
    Charan V
    Well it is not like people are not proud of their nation. The flexibility with which Technology is implemented in the West is what attracts Engineers. Most researchers tell that Professors in India are concerned about their ego than discussing ideas about Technology. Do things get resolved with dialogues as shown in Swades ? no way.

USA which is the majority migrated country is known as 'Get in once, can't afford to go back again'. There are many personal issues related to migration. Current technology has its origin in the West many things were invented in their labs that attracts Engineers and researchers. India should start solving its own problems with such kind of rational thinking.

E. Sreedharan had to cut lot of politics to develop Konkan Railway, DMRC etc. This is the only way to develop India. Though India is doing a very good job with the huge population, it has a long way to go. Technology reaches India 3-4 years after it becomes popular in the west. The first and foremost thing for India is to make R n D a viable career.
  • Rucha Wankhede
    Rucha Wankhede
    The problem is- the people going abroad for dollars or green card is a norm not an exception. Statistics prove that, so obviously its' no extrapolation based on insufficient data'. Only a handful percentage of them return if ever, and even if they do, only strong desire to do something worthwhile for the country keeps them rooted. Otherwise a host number of reasons crop up as children not being able to adjust to environment here or it was so better abroad that all the sense of little hope here vanishes too. We will always be groaning and complaining because none of us is ready to start from scratch.
    A million population of country is supposed to depend on bunchful of NRIs who they dont even know will ever come back with their so called expertise and be of some help as one hopes with increased luminosity.
    I have nothing against them personally per se. Just that the scale on which it is happening is frightening, it sets an example to people which of course is imitated further creating a vicious circle. If one can help it, one should. Besides people here are struggling for basic knowledge, it does not require a Harvard returned blue-eyed guy to develop an app that would help farmers with Agricultural and market info.
    The precedent at which our own generation is setting this example before the younger ones is what I don't agree about. There is one entrenched notion that no talent can flourish in this country owing to our research or technological or Infrastructural backwardness. Its time we get down to work and try to build it. Because none others/outsiders are going to do it unless there some element of profit seen in it of course.
    It is just a question of where one's priorities lie.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    And you claim the statistics based on what? Personal experience? Just look around, look at all the startups, read their "about" pages. Youll see many of the founders are ones who got educated abroad and returned to apply those skills they learned in India. Thats what we need. Do not make unsupported claims.

It does not take a "blue eyed" Harvard educated guy to build an app. But it is not just the app that needs building- the technology it provides access to does. To be a leader in technology needs people who have worked at the frontier of technology. Think over that. Do we want to be a nation of copiers of already successful technology or be the nation that wields the bleeding edge?

And I personally know a few people who ditched green cards and Dollars to build exactly that. In India. You must have come across the term reverse-brain-drain. Guess what, it is happening. Put that against the people who are draining out to the west, and you have a reservoir of highly talented people who have come back.

You talk about stopping the cribbing about the lack of research infra in our country and start building it. How do you think that would get done, by who? By the technical people who have never had an opoortunity to experience class research first hand? Who have never worked at leading RnD labs? We need people with experience. And for that we need to experience research. Let us not make this sound like a catch22.

Sure there are avenues for top notch research in our country, but those come by a few in between. There are a number of Mohan Bhargava's around you, hidden in plain sight driving the engines in India.
  • Akshay Singh
    Akshay Singh
    I am thinking to build a generator with both rotor and stator rotating in this way relative speed between rotor and stator I.e N increase hence more electrical power
    Please help me get help
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Well, I'd just say that we need to agree to disagree here. Some people dont just go abroad for green cards/$$. Nothing I said earlier should be taken personally. Cheers!
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    this discussion makes it look as though all anyone is doing is learning everything from India and creating magnificent things abroad which i dont think is true. i am somehow confident that any person who has done a good job in universities aborad would attribute their success to the education they get overseas and not from Indian university. just saying..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Dual Degree Scheme is applicable to BITS Pilani , Goa and Hyderabad Campuses. All MSc. (Hons) (and not Tech) will get an assured BE Degree, alloted to them at the...
This question arises in everybody's mind before applying to BITS. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]My suggestion is, BIT-SAT isn't that tough, especially if you are already getting a coaching for IIT-JEE. Stick to the...
The BIT-SAT takes know that they have the option to solve extra 12 questions. But there is a confusion whether to attempt them or not? 😕 As per the Brochure:...
As per the popularity these are the few names that give coaching for AIEEE in Delhi. 1) Narayana IIT Academy 2) Gurukul 24X7 3) Einstein Classes 4) Anuraj Institute 5)...
Space launches can be made an eco-friendly and a daily event with low cost of launching using space elevators.Its a structure that can transport materials from a celestial body surface...