Krita's Kickstarter Goes Live!

Quoting Krita's History

The origin of Krita can be traced to Matthias Ettrich’s at the #-Link-Snipped-#. Matthias wanted to show the ease with which it was possible to hack a Qt GUI around an existing application, and the application he choose to demo it with was GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program. His patch was never published, but did cause problems with the GIMP community at the time.

Not being in a position to work together, people within the KDE project #-Link-Snipped-#Development focused on an application that was part of the #-Link-Snipped-# by #-Link-Snipped-#. Renamed to KImageShop, this was the start of Krita.

At the 31st of May, 1999, the KImageShop project officially kicked off with a #-Link-Snipped-#. The basic idea back then was to make KImageShop a GUI shell around #-Link-Snipped-#. It was going to be a corba-based application with out-of-process filter plugins, compatible with GIMP plugins, which are also out-of-process, though of course not corba-based.

The name KImageShop fell foul of trademark law in Germany, and KImageShop was renamed to Krayon, which also appeared to impinge on an existing trademark, so Krayon was finally renamed to Krita in 2002.

Initial development was slow, but picked up strongly from 2003, resulting in the first public release with KOffice 1.4 in 2004. In 2005, Krita gained support for CMYK, Lab, YCbCr, XYZ color models and high bit depth channels, as well as OpenGL support.

From 2004 to 2009, Krita was strongly focusing on being a generic image manipulation/painting application in the style of Photoshop or GIMP. Since 2009, the focus is squarely on painting: the Krita community aims to make Krita the best painting application for cartoonists, illustrators, and concept artists.

From 2009 onwards, the Krita Team Seeking Sponsorship to Take Krita to Next Level | KDE.news to work on Krita by way of student jobs, in addition to development funded through Google Summer of Code. This experiment has resulted in a huge jump in stability and performance.

In 2013, the Krita community #-Link-Snipped-#, to provide more support for development.
Even your one Euro donation will help Krita to be better designing software than Adobe Photoshop.
Please donate.

Here's link : #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - I really like the sound of 'Photoshop' alternative or 'killer'; and that's the reason I've been using Pixelmator on Mac. It does the job very well and is a worthy competitor to Photoshop; but still 'NOT PHOTOSHOP'!

Have you tried using it yourself? How's your experience?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Have you tried using it yourself? How's your experience?
    Yup, I have tried Krita. What I haven't tried is Photoshop. So, I am unable to compare between them. I am not designer guy, so I can't comment much on that part, but all the small things I need related to pic editing is easily done with Krita.

In the end of kickstarter page of Krita you'll see some awesome artwork which shows the great potential of Krita. More to that it is opensource, so it is pretty much hackable/tweakable and free and secure, unlike Photoshop.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi everyone, Is anyone working in mobility testing. If yes please provide suggestions to automate the testing without using frameworks. I am running GUI testing(which is manual testing) and I...
The Aero Friedrichshafen aviation show in Germany had pretty awesome machines on display; and 'Carplane' was one of them. The Carplane does exactly what its name suggests - it can...
Samsung and Samsonite are working together to develop the luggage of the future; and we call it 'Smart Luggage'. Equipped with all the sophisticated electronics and computer algorithms, the smart...
I am currently using BSNL broadband, however the speed is dead slow. I saw EVDO plans and it is surprisingly cheap and faster with no FUP. Now, I am too...
Today I had checked ma number in one of friend's mobile with True caller. The number displyaing with ma name correctly but the profile picture is one of ma other...