Know Your CEan - xheavenlyx aka Varun

YeY! CrazyEngineers came again with an Awesome and Awesome interview with one of our CE – Stars. He is #-Link-Snipped-#, a Crazy Electronics and Instrumentation Engineer who has contributed about 680+ valuable posts to CE. CEan – xheavenlyx aka Varun D was very active, left, came back, active, left again. And Now He is back again. Varun is passionate about Electronics, Design, Videography, Psychology, Human Machine Interface and interested in Gaming. We are Very Glad to present his words here…

Pallavi : Hi Varun, you are a Crazy Electronics and Instrumentation Engineer, tell us more about yourself.
Varun : Okay 😀

Pallavi :
How did you get introduced to CrazyEngineers (CE)?
Varun : It was back in 2006 while looking for an online forum to discuss "nerd", I came across CE. It felt good to be around people with common thinking. At that time I was also a member of other forums but got out because of some 30 year old jobless pretensions pricks who thought they were gods as all they did was sit on the forums answering questions.

Pallavi :
Why did you take up this particular engineering trade? What do you like the most about it?
Varun : I choose Electronics because I was curious by birth and not having people around to take apart, like in psychology, I took apart electronic devices around the house.

Pallavi : What is your favorite pass time?

Varun : Siting alone and watching House M.D. with a KFC dinner meal.

Pallavi : Seems you are Interested in Gaming; what kind of games do you play?

Varun : I started with the classic PC 286 with Windows 3.1 and played F1, Duck Tales and Prince of Persia. Then Doom, Duke Nukem 3D (HOT!) and Wolfstien 3D. I had an Atari 2600 too, ah the memories! Then Sega 8bit, Playstation, PS2. Some of my favorite games are:
Parasite Eve, Chrono Cross, Xenosaga/gears, Final Fantasy (7,8,9,10), Silent Hill 1,2,3,4 (the only game that can scare the shit out of me evennow), Metal Gear Solid 1,2,3, No One Lives Forever and a lot more unimportant ones.

Pallavi : Who are your idols or inspirations?

Varun : Richard Branson. He started his own magazine at a very young age, bought a car when he didn't have a license. Later started a record store and a record label with a recording studio at an abandoned villa, hot-air ballooned around the world and now owns has his own airline.

Pallavi : What is the biggest achievement in your life so far?

Varun : My biggest achievement has been getting through college without a single back-log while having a physical disability.

Pallavi : You are interested in Philosophy! What do you say, If I ask you to tell two good words for our CEans ?

Varun : Believe in what you want to get across to people and make it happen. Everyone has ideas, the very same ideas you think no one has ever thought about. Only difference is that some make it happen some just dream on.

Pallavi : You are from BITS – Pilani, One of the top universities in India. Let us know the Quality of Education, facilities they provide for BITS students compared to the other Universities!

Varun : Not to blow anyone's bubble but it was the same as any other university. In India engineering universities are like factories training engineers like in a production-line for multinationals to use as slaves. There is no research, no independengt thinking. Very rarely if a student really wants to do something different, he or she gets shot down by professors. This is a small problem subset of a larger one. Anyway, everyone who is in university rite now, remember one thing; experiment all you want! This is the time to live your life. Think big and just believe in what you want to do it. If you fail, learn and try again. It's a cliche, but it works.

Pallavi : You have a work experience in different fields; you kept on shifting your jobs! What job do you like the most?
Varun : Over the years I have worked as a telecom engineer, as a trainee at a paper and packaging factory, a robotics research assistant and as a beer dispenser at a concert. The best experience was as the beerdispenser . That is where I came to know how it feels to die a little of exhaustion. Respect for the people who do this full time.

Pallavi : You would love to own more than 2 companies unrelated to each other, one electronic consumer devices and the other an advertising agency with a movie production branch. Why So? How are you preparing to achieve your dream?

Varun : That's a very good question. Frankly, I am not doing anything rite now for the two or it seems to me that way. It's internal. Electronic consumer devices for the passion I have and movie production to support the arts. I would surely inform CE community when any of the two come to life.

Pallavi : Its really great that you have started two good projects in our CE-Labs section; CE – BOT and Local movie catalog using IMDB. Tell us your experience working with our CEans J
Varun : Ah you have done your research for this interview 😀 Well, it has been a good experience so far. One problem we face is location. Many members live spread around the world so it's difficult to collaborate on projects. Another thing is many members are students who do not have time to join in so we end up with about four or five who are really interested in a project. CE-Bot got on hold because of location and cost problems. Movie Database is going well, but for now it's only me. Waiting for more to join in. Take part in it at: #-Link-Snipped-#

Pallavi : What is the difference you found on CE compared to other techno forums?

Varun : The difference is in the kind of education and experience. Other forums have people who are not engineers but just interested in technology, robotics and DIY. On CE we may have a mix of students and enthusiasts where many students are looking for easy solutions and ready-made project files because of our education system. At the same time we have members who are very interested to learn more and expand their knowledge.

Pallavi : What changes you found in yourself before and after joining CE?

Varun : It did teach me one very important thing. To take lead of things and realizing that people are everything to a project. Without team effort (and a good team) we have nothing.

Pallavi : If you are given a chance to take a role in CE, what would you like to have and What would you do for CE?

Varun : I would like to have a regional office in Dubai for CE. Work as a Marketing and Strategy Manager and form an umbrella support group for engineers in the region. Have conferences for the members by calling in local professors to cover latest technical topics and encourage growth.

Pallavi : Your blogs are so good. What made you to blog?

Varun : Really? Are they good? These days technology allows us to share our knowledge with everyone around the world. It feels good knowing you are introducing someone to a new idea. The attention we get from a blog is good too. 😀

The CE Quickies aka Rapid Fire:

1. Who are the best CEans according to you?
Varun : All CEans 😀

2. Why your id is xheavenlyx, very different?

Varun : Yup and it's pronounced ex-heavenly-ex.

3. If you were given a chance to be a One day admin of CE…

Varun : ...will delete all the accounts. The people who really care will join back.

4. Tell us any 3 things that annoy you the most?

Varun : Stupidity, religious hypocrisy and the question "What's your favorite Movie?".

5. Define yourself in a single word

Varun : I (...hate this Q too)

6. Your biggest blooper till date is?

Varun : In university I set up a mystery crystal maze style game to find a box of chocolates for valentines day by solving clues. It was elaborate and took me a week to set up. The end was telling the correct CODE word to our receptionist to get the box from her. The girl who I wanted to give the game to never took it...walked away saying I should "forget it". The game ended with my best friend solving it and us having the box of chocolates over the next week. (They were Ferrero Rochers!)

7. A moment you can never forget.

Varun: You know, I never understood this. Do I be very honest or politically correct or think about the kind of audience. If I have to think about the audience then you should not have asked this question. If you expected that I was just another boring person who would answer like everyone else, then I am offended. If you really want to know, I will answer it. But then don't censor it...I will be offended again.

8. 5 years from now, you will …
Varun : ...be in a kitchen trying to cook something for my wife because I pissed her off by not talking to her about something she wanted to and I was too tired to listen to her. After the dinner I would wash the dishes and watch a movie of her choice while massaging her feel and pamper her in other ways too explicit to write here.

9. If you were a politician, what will your 5 year plan look like?

Varun: Wow, this might be the the other best question. You are really good Sahithi. I would increase the local police budget and get them international training. Hire the best people (some from CE), engineers for civil works, science majors and literature majors after a tough interview process. No bookish knowledge but real life experience. Encourage growth for entrepreneurs and investment opportunities. Increase the minimum teacher and professor salaries and introduce more creative and fun training for them. Make a 20 year plan.

10. What do you want to say about CE?

Varun : Thank you...thats all.

CrazyEngineers wishing Varun All the Very Best! Hope you have a Good Future And we are proud to have you on CE 😀

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Superb Interview Pallavi and Varun aka ex-heavenly-ex. 😀
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    nice interview guys 👍
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    one of the best interviews till now

Really an interesting read 😀
  • Farjand
    Farjand
    Really xheavenlyx, you have great experiences under your belt. I really like your replies. Really cool.

Good job Sahithi. 😀
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    That's an awesome interview👍👍
    Good job SP and nice answers Varun!!👍
  • MegaByte
    MegaByte
    Thats a nice Interview!

Good to know about you, xheavenlyx
    And Great going, Pallavi! 😀
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Good work Sahithi!

Not to blow anyone's bubble but it was the same as any other university. In India engineering universities are like factories training engineers like in a production-line for multinationals to use as slaves. There is no research, no independent thinking. Very rarely if a student really wants to do something different, he or she gets shot down by professors. This is a small problem subset of a larger one.
    I hope Indian education minister reads this.
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    good to know about you 😀
    very nice answers... xheavenlyx
    SP: good set of questions 😀
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    sahithi pallavi
    Pallavi : What is your favorite pass time?
    Varun : Siting alone and watching House M.D. with a KFC dinner meal.
    Wow!! That is one of my favorite pass time too! 😀

Nice to know about you Varun..
    And good interview Sahithi!!
  • Reya
    Reya
    Nice answers varun. I enjoyed while reading your answers 😀 Good work sahithi!!

Specially i loved these answers 😀

Varun : Believe in what you want to get across to people and make it happen. Everyone has ideas, the very same ideas you think no one has ever thought about. Only difference is that some make it happen some just dream on.

Varun : ...will delete all the accounts. The people who really care will join back.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Hey very good interview XHX!!! besides I want to congratulate you heartily because a few days ago you cracked a facebook worm.
    One question from my side, When you could have easily ignored that worm still you tried to decode it, Why? I am really impressed with your dexterity.

Good questions Sahithi. 😀

@ AKD:
    Not to blow anyone's bubble but it was the same as any other university. In India engineering universities are like factories training engineers like in a production-line for multinationals to use as slaves. There is no research, no independent thinking. Very rarely if a student really wants to do something different, he or she gets shot down by professors. This is a small problem subset of a larger one.
    Nope he won't, he is busy doing other politics. Just kidding. 😛 😛 😛
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I too watch House 😁. Impressive interview 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    One more question from me: Back in 2006-07 discussions on CE were more focused on engineering & technology. Do you think that the focus has shifted a bit to more general topics than engineering? How can we bring back more technical discussions and also get our old-timers back to actively participate on CE?
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    CE in the real world

Ah thank you everyone and Sahithi for the amazing questions! Wow, it feels really good to be back on CE.

@Biggie
    One more question from me: Back in 2006-07 discussions on CE were more focused on engineering & technology. Do you think that the focus has shifted a bit to more general topics than engineering? How can we bring back more technical discussions and also get our old-timers back to actively participate on CE?
    Yes biggie, I have seen that. I keep wondering where are all the people and then sometimes drop by on the Chit-chat and other general forums just to have a look. I think after a while all forums come to a point where they go into general social topics since members are much more comfortable with each other. Many other forums I have been on have gone through this.

I really don't know how we can come back to technical discussions. One thing is that this is a text-only medium and online. Doing physical projects would have to be individual effort and thus, mostly a lonely process because everyone's needs are different. Unless someone starts a project and keeps sharing their progress, no matter how little attention they get, then maybe we can get more participation.

Another solution would be to form local chapters and push and push with the marketing.

For example, a chapter in Bombay:

1. They have two meetings every alternate Sunday of the month (2 meetings). They figure out the place and time.

2. They decide on a small projects in the beginning. IT or Electronics or anything, even charity for a related cause.

3. Recruit more students from local universites by telling them about CE.

4. Have very clear goals:

"We are a group of engineers who want to change the world step by step. We have meetings every alt Sunday and we work on projects for the next two weeks together for learning and experience. You can join in, there is no fees for joining. You have to register at the website and work with us. Are you interested?"

5. Having a common and a 'tight' goal for the chapters. Have a chapter Vice President and a Marketing Manager.

6. Work on a project. Even if something simple as "Write an introduction to Bombay Universities". Post the done project on CE.

7. After enough members are present, call on guests to give lectures, just like CEVoice, but live. Get the money for location and logistics from members. One time payment for a lecture. They will be interested if it's someone interesting. No loss in trying.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know this is just talk rite now. But it's a start. Nothing can be done online unless it is translated to something solid in the real world. That would be a huge step but it starts with a small step of forming a local chapter.

I hope something useful comes out of this Biggie.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Those are very good suggestions. I believe we should make local chapters and make 3-4 people responsible for running those chapter for at least 1 year before the new members are elected for that chapter. I think this should be on our 'to-do' list.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Really Nice Suggestions! How productive Our Oldies are....this is a live example! Its good to have you back on our CE!

And It was very good to interview you, Varun! I like all the answers! Thanks for answering all my questions with your good patience 😀

And Thanks everyone!
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Wow... Awesome Interview... I liked this:
    Varun: Okay 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

HI,.... Currently im building a robot to participate in robowar. I need your suggestion,.... speed of motor torque which metal should i use to cover the robot If anyone knows,...
Here is a short description of how DHCP works. DHCP stands for dynamic host configuration protocol. It's a protocol that lets network admin to automate the assignment of IP addresses...
An International Conference on Control, Communication and Power Engineering is going to be conducted during Nov 07-08, 2011, in Pune, India. The event is organized by Association of Computer Electronics...
Electricity Board supplies electricity, here as 220V and 11kV. The later is again decreased to 220V and then used. My question is what is the need for 11kV supply. I...
hey friends, suggest me where to start from as i am just a beginer in this subject...How to proceed n which websites to follow to take some help??