KFC Vs Indian Idli

KFC is the second largest chain of fast food restaurant which specializes in fried chicken. Also it has made a great marketing in India.

I doubt, why Indian Idli, which is considered as a healthy food, never tried to compete with KFC.

Do, Indians lack in marketing?

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Idli, can be made in home 'easily', but fastfood available at KFC is hard to make.
    (PS : I am vegetarian, so I never tried any food of KFC)

aarthivg
    We better not talk about marketing.There's market of everything.Market for pet psychologist, market for shitfetish video, market for chocolate covered cockroaches, but you'll never find marketing for good things in the world.
    The product which is marketed most is the whack product ever.My favourite example : Microsoft.

BTW I will never visit a food-shop to eat an 'idli'. I would prefer Vada-pau,Pau-bhaji,Grill-sandwiches as fast food over idli or any available fast-food.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I have seen Dosa house in New Jersey, where we get awesome Idly and dosa.

As Abhishek said, we can make them easily at home and in hyderabad every 2 kms you find a stall selling idly and dosa in the mornings till 11 AM. So if they start marketing and start good looking stores then they will have to hike the prices..
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Indian shops are not meant for high end buyers alone as the population of high end regular customers is not really that high. And so keeping in mind the revenue the shop has to make and also the stiffer competition they face Shop upgradation is out of the window.

Thereby there is no KFC idly shop in India
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    More than 'marketing', I think it's presentation. The western markets are all about selling things that can sell. My grandpa told me that during his childhood days (pre-independence), eating at restaurants was looked down on. You'd only go to a restaurant when you had no other place to eat.

It's obvious that you can make a better burger than MacDs or better pizza than Dominos. But the food business is 'secondary' to these brands.

The real business is 'real estate'! The major business of these food chain seems to be acquiring the top properties in the cities - and that's how they grow their assets. But that's a different topic (what am I writing? heh! ๐Ÿ˜• )

You've gotta glamorize the food and then sell it at 10x the cost of making it. That's the way to make the Indian food items popular. And I think that's already happening. A LOT of people around the world absolutely love the Indian food.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    No Indians dont lack marketing.They have an affibity towards packaged or garnished foods.
    Eating in a Kfc or Dominosor pizza hut was nowadays considered as a status symbol.
    We can eat Idli daily but not chicken everyday as it will be harmful to health.
    No match for Idli and Sambar.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    CSK AUTO
    Eating in a Kfc or Dominosor pizza hut was nowadays considered as a status symbol.
    Perfectly right...
    1st market it as status symbol and till people figure out it not health through a new product saying DIET COKE.

I would anytime prefer good idli rather than junki fast food.
  • mail154
    mail154
    CSK AUTO
    No Indians dont lack marketing.They have an affibity towards packaged or garnished foods.
    We can eat Idli daily but not chicken everyday as it will be harmful to health.
    No match for Idli and Sambar.

Exactly. It Is A unfair competition. One the Healthiest Food. Other not like that. People are proud to say the others that they ate at KFC. more than half were there to get a good status. But Health wise its not that actually.
  • vijay deva
    vijay deva
    aarthivg
    KFC is the second largest chain of fast food restaurant which specializes in fried chicken. Also it has made a great marketing in India.

I doubt, why Indian Idli, which is considered as a healthy food, never tried to compete with KFC.

u r right...
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    aarthivg
    At terminal f , Mumbai airport you find all fast food franchisees. Alongside KFC and Dominoes there is one 'Idly Sambar'. Usually stocked out as this item is very popular.
    They also sell other south Indian snacks.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    In Pakistan, I once ate at KFC- Karachi Fried Chicken ๐Ÿ˜

While Idli is nice, its still just considered "snack" food right? Unless you have a franchise that provides whole healthy meals, then they are in totally different markets. Dunkin Donuts would be more comparable perhaps?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    ash
    In Pakistan, I once ate at KFC- Karachi Fried Chicken ๐Ÿ˜ While Idli is nice, its still just considered "snack" food right? Unless you have a franchise that provides whole healthy meals, then they are in totally different markets. Dunkin Donuts would be more comparable perhaps?
    The South Indian Idly can be a whole meal. It has a nice combination of rice and black gram pulse. Black gram is considered to be the meat of the vegetable kingdom for its superb protein.
    With appropriate side dishes one can make a full meal off idlies. I and a colleague lived for months on idlies at IIT Madras.
    An interesting side note on idlies. Despite the carbs in it, the Institute for diabetics at Madras found this the most suitable food for diabetics. The director of this institute told me at a medical conference in the 80s that black gram has a protein fibre (0.1 mm if I remember right) that triggers insulin production and controls post prandial glucose spikes in blood.
  • mail154
    mail154
    A.V.Ramani
    The South Indian Idly can be a whole meal. It has a nice combination of rice and black gram pulse. Black gram is considered to be the meat of the vegetable kingdom for its superb protein.
    With appropriate side dishes one can make a full meal off idlies. I and a colleague lived for months on idlies at IIT Madras.
    An interesting side note on idlies. Despite the carbs in it, the Institute for diabetics at Madras found this the most suitable food for diabetics. The director of this institute told me at a medical conference in the 80s that black gram has a protein fibre (0.1 mm if I remember right) that triggers insulin production and controls post prandial glucose spikes in blood.

Great Sir..But I Don't Know How They Consider Idli as "snack" food? ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    I grew up in Kuwait and over there the scenario is different. KFC is found everywhere (just like Idli Sambar) but Idli Sambar is not so common. My parents used to take us kids to a hotel called Udupi Hotel (which is very famous and runs a limited 3 or 4 restaurants all over Kuwait) where we'd get used to most of the Indian delicacies (mom doesn't make every kind of delicacy at home). I used to love eating Puri and Battura from Udupi very often. But from the time I got to my hostel in Tamil Nadu, I started hating the word Puri as it'd remind me of all the puke I puked at the hostel.

So Idli ya KFC? Idli for me!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

UK's government wants to speed up the travel and don't want you to wait hours in flight while traveling from UK to Australia. They want to shorten the travel time...
hi friends presently am working on Mentor Graphics PADS ,as i installed on Windows Xp its working coming to Win7 getting licence issue, any body know what to do ?....
You might be unaware of a management domain - called laboratory animal management. But this robot seems to have a Ph.D in it. The robot developed by Nikkoyo Technos and...
I am looking for a list of websites from where I can download 2d drawings with dimensions of mechanical parts like engine, robot, car etc... for 3d modeling practice.
Hello, I am computer science student, just completed 2nd year. (languages known:c,c++. and I have studied microprocessor 8086 ) How to start writing driver software?