Just upgraded Galaxy Note To Android 4.0 ICS

Just upgraded Galaxy Note to Android 4.0 ICS, but it doesn't feel like a major OS upgrade at all. First of all, everything else just looks the same with just few UI tweaks and updated apps.

The upgrade wasn't available OTA, so I had to install the Kies latest version. But that didn't solve the problems right away. The firmware stopped downloading at about 36% first. It downloaded 100% in the next go; but the phone failed to fetch it from the computer. It only worked in 3rd attempt; but I lost about 2.5 hours in the process.

I like the updated S-Note app and it adds lot of exciting new functionality with the animated playback tool. Overall, happy; but not excited, about the new update.

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    congrats...😀 .
    I find kies is a bad PC suite, It didn't recognise my phone *most of times*.
    whereas Nokia PC suite is awesome.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I agree. Kies always had problems recognizing when a phone is connected to the PC. I had to turn the phone off and on several times before I could get it to work. Samsung really needs to focus on developing a quality desktop software.

By the way, the Kies Air works fine; but it does not allow firmware upgrades directly.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    yup .. Kies air works good for browsing contents..
  • VeluKar
    VeluKar
    The_Big_K
    Just upgraded Galaxy Note to Android 4.0 ICS, but it doesn't feel like a major OS upgrade at all. First of all, everything else just looks the same with just few UI tweaks and updated apps.

The upgrade wasn't available OTA, so I had to install the Kies latest version. But that didn't solve the problems right away. The firmware stopped downloading at about 36% first. It downloaded 100% in the next go; but the phone failed to fetch it from the computer. It only worked in 3rd attempt; but I lost about 2.5 hours in the process.

I like the updated S-Note app and it adds lot of exciting new functionality with the animated playback tool. Overall, happy; but not excited, about the new update.
    Thanks for the update. So whats the final recommendation...
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    VeluKar
    Thanks for the update. So whats the final recommendation...
    Recommendation? Well, update it anyway. I think the ICS improves the battery life a lot. That's the most positive difference I've noticed yet. Also, the 'My Story' app promised by Samsung in the advertisements of the premium suite is nowhere to be seen. I guess they're yet to release it officially.
  • VeluKar
    VeluKar
    Yep... updated to ICS.... Note works like a breeze now... though not much of a difference in the UI or the overall design... but not sure about the battery life... seems battery drains faster...
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    My experience is the reverse : Batter life seems to be improved. Maybe because I always keep the phone in 'GSM Only' mode and keep the 'packet data' setting off. That saves lot of battery, in my opinion. Do give it a try.
  • VeluKar
    VeluKar
    Oki. Need to check that out... but keeping data on is a must in my case due to mail requirements.... Let me try out keeping the data off during the weekend.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Sify Videomeet ( https://www.sifyvideomeet.com ) is Sify's new conferencing service sold as 'conference-as-a-service' for startups and emerging businesses. The service costs < Rs. 3 per minute and offers variety of...
I am Praveen kumar , 2nd year (yet to be start )mechanical engineer student of BIRLA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY ,main campus MESRA ,ranchi.... My aim is to become a IAS...
Using a bucket of propylene glycol, this video shows how a fiber optic cable works and how engineers send signal across oceans.
What are the government sector jobs for electrical and electronics engineering and Is gate scores are necessary for it?
Akash Missile was today test-fired successfully from the Integrated Test Range at Chandipur, Orissa in India by the Defence Research Development Organisation (DRDO). Read the complete report from VoiCE here...