Joints

As we all know joints form an important component of an automobile.Joints are needed to hold parts together,to transmit power and various reasons as we all aware.
So directly coming to point,let us now discuss various types of joints.

But before discussing joints let us talk about:
Drive Lines:
A drive line is actually an assembly of various joints like universal joints,slip joints and drive shafts.A propeller shaft is a simple example if I am not wrong.
Vehicles with front wheel drive usually have trans-axle assembly mounted transversely.Also short drive shafts extend from trans-axle to front wheels.

Universal joints:
Whenever two shafts are inclined at an angle we can easily transmit power from one shaft to another by using a Universal joint.(For reference see an image of Cardan universal joint).
In this joint to Y shaped objects called yoke are connected to each other with the help of a cross shaped part also called as 'spider'.The driving and yoke force the spider to rotate.When two shafts are at an angle with each other,the needle bearings permits the yokes to swing around the trunnions with each revolution.
Eg: Spider and two yoke universal joint.

Slip Joints:
A slip joint has splines on its outer part and matching internal splines in a mating hollow Yoke.When this assembly is assembled these splines cause the shaft to rotate together while they can move back and forth.Hence the length of drive shaft changes.

CV joints
Actually the full form of this joint is constant velocity universal joint.A common example of CV joint is double cardan joint.It is nothing but two universal joints put together.They are linked by ball and socket joint which splits the angle between two shafts.This causes both the shaft to rotate at same speed.
The various other types of CV joints are:
1.Outer CV joints
2.Inner CV joints
3.Double-Offset CV joints
4.Plunging-Tripod CV joints

Can any one add value to this article?
Waiting for your replies...

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey ppl! Dis is Sai Nivedita from Chennai.:smile: Doing my second year Engineering in Information Technology! 😁 Glad to be a part of dis!! 😁
I know most of you are addicted to Facebook. So, here is what I wanted to know. Navigate to your profile page, there you would see something called has worked...
Hi guys!! This time I am back with phishing 😉 this video shows you how phishing works!! this is for education purpose only....... NOTE: THIS IS FOR AWARENESS AND EDUCATION...
Our present need for internet connectivity is so profound that secondary devices like the Nextep Computer are bound to happen. Developed to be worn as a bracelet, this computer concept...
Now you can make coca cola at your home 😲 . "thisamericanlife.com" has revealed the 24 hour guarded coca cola recipe via old photographs. Here's the secret recipe of Coca...