Job Related Confusion

hi,
after Long time posting something.
Actually i joined wipro technologies on 17th Jan 2011. Got 3 months initial training on .Net . after that due to shortage of project i was on bench for 2-3 months and after that got a telecom project (Intelligence network of AIRCEL). Here in this project i just used to use ready made unix scripts i.e its just a support kind of project with shifts too.. Now i am bored of it and worried about my future. Can i switch another company with new technology (like java , .net etc). do they treat me as fresher inspite of having 1.5 yrs of exp? and what about package(expecting increment ) ?

Replies

• vinci
    vinci
    first i would like to ask you are you not satisfied with .net platform?and ofcourse you will be considered as a fresher,most probably when you switch to any other technology .Rather try something better in .net platform in some other company
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I just checked your profile and found out that you joined us on Apr 30, 2010! Wow! Welcome back after a long time and thank you for remembering us. We hope you'll be active again.

There's no reason for any company to treat you as a 'fresher' (or an engineer with no real work experience). It's not your fault that your present employer does not have good projects to offer to you. Before switching your job; I'd recommend you to spend some time identifying and brushing up your knowledge on the languages, tools & technologies you are interested in. Recruiters would typically know what kind of work is offered in other companies and are willing to consider applications based on 'potential' of the candidate to perform.

Give yourself a time of 2-3 months and prepare on the technologies you are currently working on and be excellent in them (involves lot of self-study; but it'll be worth it at the end). Start applying for job in the companies of your choice.

Regarding the package; you should expect the industry average increment. You should also consider joining a less famous company that offers you some real work & challenges. It'd be better for your career in the longer run. All the best and keep us posted about your decisions.
  • jain249
    jain249
    @ BIG_K...
    Give yourself a time of 2-3 months and prepare on the technologies you are currently working on and be excellent in them (involves lot of self-study; but it'll be worth it at the end). Start applying for job in the companies of your choice.
    You mean to say prepare myself to technology i am currently working (i.e telecom support)on or on the technology i wish to switch into (i.e development).?
  • jain249
    jain249
    @vinci..
    first i would like to ask you are you not satisfied with .net platform?and ofcourse you will be considered as a fresher,most probably when you switch to any other technology .Rather try something better in .net platform in some other company
    Vinci i think u didn't got me.. i just got 3 months training which is provided 2 new campus joinees.. and after that moved to telecom support project which have no link to languages... from my point of view been into support job is not good.. i wish to switch to development work... and just asking is it fesible?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    jain249
    @ BIG_K...
    You mean to say prepare myself to technology i am currently working (i.e telecom support)on or on the technology i wish to switch into (i.e development).?
    Telecom support isn't a technology. But you can definitely work on mastering UNIX so that if your future employer checks your knowledge of UNIX you shouldn't disappoint them. You could even brush up your skills on .Net and work on the technology that you wish to switch to.
  • jain249
    jain249
    But you can definitely work on mastering UNIX so that if your future employer checks your knowledge of UNIX you shouldn't disappoint them. You could even brush up your skills on .Net and work on the technology that you wish to switch to.
    You mean to say that brush the skills of UNIX (so that new recruiter can test my knowledge of my past experience) and learn skills of language i wish to switch into.
    is it right?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yes, that's right.
  • jain249
    jain249
    ok i will... n ask you some more confusion if i had... meanwhile if you have knowledge about unix can you tell me what all should i atleast know about. and any source you can suggest to learn.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    jain249
    ok i will... n ask you some more confusion if i had... meanwhile if you have knowledge about unix can you tell me what all should i atleast know about. and any source you can suggest to learn.
    Our #-Link-Snipped-# Engineering section is the best resource for all things CS/IT/Networking et al. UNIX is vast and since you're using UNIX; you should at least know the commands for regular tasks and the scripts that you use. If you have specific questions about UNIX, ask in CS IT section.
  • vinci
    vinci
    i got the point dear as i too have passed by the same situation .In such cases company ignore your previous work experience if you are going to join something other than previous technology like you had experience in .net and wish to switch to java or unix ,so in view of a company your experience in unix is zero or negligible .Although you need to prepare yourself upto the mark that the new technology requires but still company says having experience in same technology is considered as work experience else they need to tech you from the beginning.So tell me why thy consider your previous experience since it is useless for them ?why do they consider your experience in java when your previous job was in .net?
  • vinci
    vinci
    thanks big_k.Hope you understand my words and company's consideration .It wont run on our understanding or experience rather it has policies to follow and execute .
  • jain249
    jain249
    so vinci you also suggest what should i do...?
  • vinci
    vinci
    i suggest you go in .net in depth with whole heart seriously .See, one company dont provide you the opportunity you expect doesn't mean the world ends there.Beyond the whole world is full of opportunity .Go with .net , with your experience in some other company . As you said you worked with wipro ,so definitely a positive impact would be on your knowledge & value .In case you find interest in some other technology ,it would be difficult to expect such package (in terms of salary) as you would be fresher then .So wisdom is to stay in .net ,expose your skills wherever you may go give your best . ๐Ÿ‘
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    OFF-TOPIC
    @vinci, You always convey the right message in simple language. ๐Ÿ‘

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Google's just released 'Chat For Google' official extension that lets you keep in touch with your contacts in your 'Google+ Circles' & Gmail contacts even when you are not in...
Several blogs have been writing about the possible kick to London based DataWind - the company that manufactures Aakash tablets to be sold at a price of 2500 - 3000...
ASUS promised the latest Android treatment for the TF101 Transformer tablet and now it seems that the ICS update is rolling out. Taiwan will be the first country to receive...
Eluga means 'Elegant' and not 'Ugly' ๐Ÿ˜. Panasonic has just revealed the tech specs for their upcoming smartphone named Eluga. Let's take a quick look at the Eluga Tech Specs-...
Looks like I'm the only one passionate about gadgets here ๐Ÿ˜