Job or MBA?

at present i am pursuing Bachelor in engineering Electrical in 4th sem in a good government college. my family financial condition is not too good. i am not much interested to go for M.tech or MS but slightly interested for MBA. what should i plan for future? 1) search a job and get settled in india. 2) MBA in india? 3) MBA and job in foreign countries? which countries shall i look for?
PS - CPI - 7.5 (average stud not too brilliant)

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    If your financial condition isn't very good; you should simply focus on getting a job in India. Work for a few years. Unless you've specific reasons to opt for MBA / MS - you can make a very good career in India.
  • Dhruval Patel Dhr
    Dhruval Patel Dhr
    ok i got your point but i can manage to spend some money for getting better career. which is better option from 3 above mentioned? 1) search a job and get settled in india. 2) MBA in india? 3) MBA and job in foreign countries? which countries shall i look for?
    will i get better salary after BE+MBA than only BE?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Patel Dhr
    for getting better career
    This may not look very obvious, but you need to have a clear picture of what a better career means for you (Fun Read: Your Expectations From Your Career Are WRONG! ) . You can spend money provided you know exactly what you are getting.

Again, no one can pick up one option for you based on the information you've provided. Also, keep in mind that BE + MBA = More salary is a myth! 'More or Better' are relative words - and you need to be fully aware of what you really want. For example, do you simply want more salary than your batchmates? Do you want better lifestyle than someone who you think as your role model? How much salary do you think would make you happy - and what are the job profiles that offer that salary? The clearer your vision about your future is, the better are your chances of making a good decision.

That's why I said, you need to have a solid reason to opt for MBA.

Think about it: If you want to do MBA thinking you'll get more salary. For that you will need to get into a top rated MBA college, which is quite hard. Which means, you will have to spend about ~2 years and ~2 attempts at CAT (or similar exams). Then you'll have to spend ~2 years studying and if you're lucky to top your batch - you'll get the top-line salary. Financially - you'll be looking at loans amounting to several lakh rupees.

...and the top-line salary means you can pretty much say good-bye to 10-5, tension-free job; which is what, I believe, most engineers dream of. But if you're prepared for it and 'want' that lifestyle; you should definitely go for MBA. Keep in mind that MBA from a not-so-known college is purely waste of time, money and other resources.

You could achieve the same result by working hard your existing job and maintaining good relationship with your bosses.

The choice SHOULD be YOURS. Don't let anyone dictate your life.
  • Dhruval Patel Dhr
    Dhruval Patel Dhr
    ok i got u. that's what i wanted to know. "better career" for me means a well settled job with better future promotion prospects. i do not claim to want only money or highest salary than others.
    just one last question plz - as per suggestions given by others.. there is "better lifestyle" and "more scopes" in foreign countries! shall i look to go to foreign (few years or permanently)? is it advisable? which countries shall i look for? (my engineering discipline: electrical)
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Patel Dhr
    shall i look to go to foreign (few years or permanently)? is it advisable? which countries shall i look for? (my engineering discipline: electrical)
    Only if you think foreign countries will offer a better 'lifestyle' to you. It's something you'll have to research on your own. All the best!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello guys . Can any body give me some innovative poster design concept or idea because I have a poster competition few days from now
What is the notion of variable free programming (the context is JAVA)?
Project Abstract / Summary : The main objective is to gain and transfer domain knowledge widely from specialized persons. The query posted in the website are mapped to specialized persons...
After launching its smart rice cooker, Xiaomi has launched the updated version of the Redmi 3. The smartphone titled Redmi 3 Pro was launched at the same event as the...
Researchers from Finland's Aalto University have developed a fabrication method for electrochemically active thin films using Organic Lithium electrodes. This innovation succeeded in greatly boosting the efficiency of micro batteries....