JAVA or RUBY?

If you had to choose between Java or Ruby, which one would you choose?

And why?

Replies

• PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Ruby:
    1. Web 2.0 Compatible
    2. Runs without any additional configuration
    3. Better than Java
  • K!r@nS!ngu
    K!r@nS!ngu
    Since i don't know much about Ruby, I will choose the one and only "JAVA" 😁 .
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Dancer_Engineer
    If you had to choose between Java or Ruby, which one would you choose?
    And why?
    I'm not a programmer, but I did study Ruby long time ago just out of Interest. The language, when used with Rails framework offers a rock solid tool for rapid application development. There are several tutorials on the Internet which will make you familiar with Ruby programming language. Ruby is much younger and has picked up the 'best things' from several programming languages.

Java is still rock solid and has a strong community around it. I bet there are more Java resources on the Internet than Ruby. However, the choice of language would strictly be dependent on the kind of application you're aiming. If you want to learn a language out of interest - I'd recommend Ruby. It's fun πŸ˜€
  • K!r@nS!ngu
    K!r@nS!ngu
    Found this website useful for those who are in early learning stage of ruby like me....πŸ˜‰
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Reya
    Reya
    Ruby is simpler and faster than Java.You can run directly without compiling!

Wondering,what made you to compare a scripting language and a programming language!

@Praveen: No matter what language it is,if it is compared with Java,you always stand opp to Java, GeekyπŸ˜‰
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Praveen-Kumar
    3. Better than Java
    Okay, now that you said it - you should point out at least 3 areas where Ruby beats Java. β˜•
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Ok.
    Thank you guys! πŸ˜€

Reya
    Wondering,what made you to compare a scripting language and a programming language!
    I was reading an article yesterday, titled 'The future of Ruby is Fail'.
    Then looked for it on Google, found Ruby then ROR. And at the same time posted my query here.

K!r@nS!ngu
    Found this website useful for those who are in early learning stage of ruby like me....πŸ˜‰
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Thanks Kiran.
    I came across this link on the official Ruby website.

Ok, I think I will give Ruby a try today. πŸ‘
    The_Big_K
    Okay, now that you said it - you should point out at least 3 areas where Ruby beats Java. β˜•
    Boss! Still am not a Ruby fan... Coz this rake and rakefile makes me mad! πŸ˜› Fine, since you asked for:
    1. Many predefined modules are there.
    2. Built in support for AJAX (Partials).
    3. Agile Development.
    Peace! πŸ˜€
    Reya
    @Praveen: No matter what language it is,if it is compared with Java,you always stand opp to Java, GeekyπŸ˜‰
    Well, you are kinda right... I hate Java, but still I don't have a clue about Ruby... Lemme try another time to learn it again and get back to you guys! πŸ˜› It is hard-coded that "I hate Java" and "I cannot learn Ruby"! πŸ˜”
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    AJAX could just prove to be an added advantage. I wish I get some time to get back to programming πŸ˜€
  • vinci
    vinci
    i go with java as it is still stronger ,no idea about ruby but good to know from you guys
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    Just that these languages are similar to weapon in warrior's hand, capability of the warrior and comfortability of warrior with the weapon is much more valuable than the weapon alone.
    I second vinci's post though.
  • eternalthinker
    eternalthinker
    Praveen-Kumar
    It is hard-coded that "I hate Java"
    I second that πŸ˜€
    It got hard coded when I did one of my projects in Python and another in Java !
    eternalthinker
    I second that πŸ˜€
    It got hard coded when I did one of my projects in Python and another in Java !
    Awesome!!! We travel in the same boat! πŸ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    By the way, what's the conclusion of this thread? Java or Ruby? πŸ˜‰
    The_Big_K
    By the way, what's the conclusion of this thread? Java or Ruby? πŸ˜‰
    Er... There is something like jRuby, which is a mix of Java and Ruby! πŸ˜›
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I don't know much of ruby.
    But I think Java is best for enterprise application and ruby for websites.
    Any banking website and business module / transaction are handled by j2ee.
    Also I worked on one of world's best Loan management software which is developed in java.

I agree that in starting java seems very difficult and for small projects its seems that something that is developed in java, can easily be handled in some other language.
    ianoop
    I don't know much of ruby.
    But I thing Java is best for enterprise application and ruby for websites.
    Any banking website and business module / transaction are handled by j2ee.
    Also I worked on one of world's best Loan management software which is developed in java.

I agree that in starting java seems very difficult and for small projects its seems that something that is developed in java, can easily be handled in some other language.
    Er... We have our whole portal of knowledge bank running in Ruby on Rails! Yeah, the main one runs on J2EE and Oracle! πŸ˜›
  • sunilrk
    sunilrk
    It does not matter which programming language we use but how efficiently we write the program mattersπŸ˜‰

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

One check on the kind of blatant exercise of political clout to entrench incumbent business models represented by the so-called Stop Online Privacy Act is that both of the key...
PLZ give an idea about how i can setup a server where a C/C++ compiler compiles and debugs programs uploaded by remote users.One might have seen this in Bitwise-IIT Kharagpur.
WASHINGTON: The United States is investing in long-term strategic partnership with India, the Pentagon said on Thursday in a new defence strategic document which puts Asia on a bigger priority...
any body 've an idea of measuring fluid flow through an orifice plate (wit multiple holes)...? and can we do it wit multiple stages(orific plates arranged more than one)....?actually where...
I just found a company that designs totally awesome office spaces. See: https://i29.nl/projects/slideshow-of-projects/2 What say you? We're going to be in one of the world's coolest office soon 😁