Java Media Framework (JMF)

Hey guys, I have been googling about the Java Media Framework that allows video, audio and other time based media to be added to java applications. We can capture webcam streams and stream the same over internet. It can even be used for simple motion detection and similar tasks.
I am looking forward to learning more but not getting the right sources for a beginner. Can you guys suggest some good sites or books that might help ?
Also I am considering using this technology for my final year computer engineering project. Any suggestions for the same are welcome...

Thank you.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Interesting. Wondering how it's different from the MS Kinect toolkit. What idea do you have in your mind for the project?
  • shreyasstar
    shreyasstar
    It is possible to detect motion and also simple shapes (by specifying what color we want to track)...so i was thinking about a simple game (like ping pong or ice-hockey) that could be controlled using simple hand movements in front of the webcam.
    Or even a virtual paint application where we paint using just gestures will be good...
    These are just ideas for now...will have to do some digging in this context...
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Interesting ..Never heard of them. There some libraries like OpenCV for C/C++ and JavaCV using java can be used for motion detection.
    you can search Motion Detection using Java Libraries for more material about it.
    I just searched and find following links may be it can help you-
    Chapter VBI-4. Motion Detection
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • shreyasstar
    shreyasstar
    #-Link-Snipped-# thanks bro. The first link is quite good, got some crazy ideas in there.
    Also i would like to get it clarified : Is JavaCV an alternative to JMF or these two technologies are to be worked together ? Haven't really got much on JavaCV, so i ask...
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I also have to look more about it. Didn't know anything about it.
  • shreyasstar
    shreyasstar
    This will be a good read if you are interested :
    PDF
  • shreyasstar
    shreyasstar
    As it appears, JavaCV is a wrapper for OpenCV (Open source Computer Vision) developed by intel for use in applications where the systems has to virtually see or track down objects or colours and then process them.
    It is much better than JMF as JMF is very old.
    It allows the tracking of certain objects and then when we obtain the co-ordinates of this object(eg. our finger tip) we can use those co-ordinates to control something else (like the mouse pointer) thus controlling the mouse with our hands via webcam. Sounds fun, doesn't it ?
  • K!r@nS!ngu
    K!r@nS!ngu
    shreyasstar
    As it appears, JavaCV is a wrapper for OpenCV (Open source Computer Vision) developed by intel for use in applications where the systems has to virtually see or track down objects or colours and then process them.
    It is much better than JMF as JMF is very old.
    It allows the tracking of certain objects and then when we obtain the co-ordinates of this object(eg. our finger tip) we can use those co-ordinates to control something else (like the mouse pointer) thus controlling the mouse with our hands via webcam. Sounds fun, doesn't it ?
    Yeah... Didn't know about that ...
    Thanks for posting in detail....

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Just wondering whether we should offer dedicated sections for more engineering disciplines? For example, there are a lot of instrumetnation, product design engineers signed up on CE and they may...
Hello everyone, I would like to know if it is possible to transmit a signal through air without having to use electromagnetic waves. And why are electromagnetic waves so commonly...
Mark Z announced today that you can now add that you’re an organ donor to your timeline, and share this your story about when, where or why you decided to...
After watching the Sherlock series on BBC; I searched a bit for the science of deduction and whether there are anyone existing theories that let you do the effective deduction....
The Verge's Paul Miller has vowed to leave the Internet for one full year and if things go right; forever! Miller pulled the plug on May 01, 2012 and won't...