Japan's Buildings

Japan is a country where there is always an earthquake, am I right? Even though there's always an earthquake in this country they manage to build high rise buildings and homes.

I'm just curious how Japanese engineers build structures that can resist these earthquakes. Are they using Dampers on their buildings? more rollers??or others??

Replies

• maria flor
    maria flor
    They said that one of the reasons why buildings in Japan didn't collapse during the 9.8 magnitude earthquake is because the engineers prepared them to bend, but not to break. So my question is how did engineers build this???
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    i don't know about the high rise buildings but what i heard about some homes in japan is that they are not made of concrete as it will make the structure heavy. they use stuff like sandwich panels which provide the necessary strength and also is light and fire resistant. but this is only as far as the houses upto G+1 are considered. not the high rise... 😀
    anyone knows about high rise buildings?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What if I want to build a house near a river??? What things I must consider about the foundation, the design,materials and others ???
guys....can u pleez tell me best answer for this interview ques dat "which ws ur fav sub in electrical engg nd ezplain one topic frm dis" i hav dne btech...
history: buildings were once constructed on cellars. there was no such thing as piles or raft foundations then. but these cellars were not intended to be living spaces. they were...
Hi, I have got this assignment from one of my friend who studies in kingston university. This relates with the subject of automatic control. That friend has given me this...
i had recently been to the IITM tech fest called CEA Fest'11. there were many events but the thing i thought worth covering for CE was their project on display....