It’s Official: Satya Nadella Is The New Microsoft CEO

After weeks of speculations, the Group of Directors at Microsoft have appointed Satya Nadella as Chief Executive Officer and member of the Board of Directors. He will be third CEO of the company after Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer. Nadella has been working with the company since 1992 and until recently he held the position of Executive Vice President of Microsoft’s Cloud and Enterprise group. Bill Gates has stepped down as the Chairman of the company and will be going for a new role on the Board of Directors as Founder and Technology Advisor.

Satya Nadella

Nadella was born in Hyderabad, India and he pursued Electrical Engineering at Mangalore University. He then went ahead and fulfilled his wish of learning computer science by obtaining a master’s degree in Computer Science from University of Wisconsin. Since he describes himself as a learner he went ahead with a master’s degree in business administration from the University of Chicago. He started working with Sun Microsystems and in 1992 and made his way to Microsoft. After joining the company he worked on making major strategy and technical shifts and his most impressive achievement includes the company’s foray in to cloud and development of infrastructures to support services like Xbox, Bing, Office and other services. At his appointment his colleagues, ex-CEO Steve Ballmer and Bill Gates have posted videos #-Link-Snipped-# where they talk about this incredible guy. Readers can also read #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-# and the #-Link-Snipped-#.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I hope he does some wizardry and gets Microsoft back on the track. Satya would be remembered forever in history if he makes Microsoft 'the cool company' again. It's a job next to impossible, actually.

Maybe they need to invent a new line of products that will define the next wave of computing.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I hope Mr. Satya will scrap-out Internet Explorer. That day I will buy MS Windows and Office both. ☕
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    LOL. Internet Explorer cannot be removed. Its a crucial system utility. A lot of services will go down. It can be revamped. They need to promote freelancers and developers for their contribution. Make some stuff open source.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    In a letter to the Microsoft employees, as has been the tradition, Mr. Satyanarayana Nadella writes -

Who am I?

I am 46. I've been married for 22 years and we have 3 kids. And like anyone else, a lot of what I do and how I think has been shaped by my family and my overall life experiences. Many who know me say I am also defined by my curiosity and thirst for learning. I buy more books than I can finish. I sign up for more online courses than I can complete. I fundamentally believe that if you are not learning new things, you stop doing great and useful things. So family, curiosity and hunger for knowledge all define me.

Why am I here?

I am here for the same reason I think most people join Microsoft — to change the world through technology that empowers people to do amazing things. I know it can sound hyperbolic — and yet it's true. We have done it, we're doing it today, and we are the team that will do it again.

I believe over the next decade computing will become even more ubiquitous and intelligence will become ambient. The coevolution of software and new hardware form factors will intermediate and digitize — many of the things we do and experience in business, life and our world. This will be made possible by an ever-growing network of connected devices, incrediblecomputing capacity from the cloud, insights from big data, and intelligence from machine learning.

This is a software-powered world.

It will better connect us to our friends and families and help us see, express, and share our world in ways never before possible. It will enable businesses to engage customers in more meaningful ways.

I am here because we have unparalleled capability to make an impact.
    The letter is quite big. This is an excerpt that speaks a lot about his views.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    This guy is gonna take Microsoft back up to glory. I have a gut feeling.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    On a related note - I think a big deal is being made out of he being an Indian. I mean - why are Indians excited about Satya becoming MS CEO? He's been in the US for 22 years and is an American.

Nayan Goenka
    This guy is gonna take Microsoft back up to glory. I have a gut feeling.
    Nope. I've a gut feeling.
  • prahu mac
    prahu mac
    let's hope he brings back the old microsoft!!!!!!!
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Kaustubh Katdare
    On a related note - I think a big deal is being made out of he being an Indian. I mean - why are Indians excited about Satya becoming MS CEO? He's been in the US for 22 years and is an American.
    Its not only about him being an Indian, of course that is a factor. But he has shown results. Microsoft has the best cloud infrastructure, a division he was heading earlier. Also he is responsible for generating 25% profits alone from his division. When it comes to product and technology collaborative work, Satya has given outputs. No one imagined Hyper-V could give strong competition to linux based cloud and virtualizations. He brought back the charm of Windows servers. A lot of more countless things. Skydrive, Exchange Server etc. So he has the ability to revamp Microsoft. With Bill Gates and Steve Balmer both out, there are going to be a lot of obstacles. Bill Gates it feels as if he is done with Microsoft now.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    What would be the new product or service that we can expect from satya?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    What would be the new product or service that we can expect from satya?
    Vacuum cleaner

Nayan Goenka
    Bill Gates it feels as if he is done with Microsoft now.
    What ? 😨
    He's still with MS as new role : 'Technology adviser'
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Abhishek Rawal
    What ? 😨
    He's still with MS as new role : 'Technology adviser'
    His involvement is been less is wat i meant
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I agree, starting from last night news channels in India have started making his appointment as CEO a headline. Calling him Indian-born, Hyderabad based, Manglore University student doesn't hide the fact that is now an American citizen.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    three-ceo
    Photo Credits: GeekWire

This the the photo of the day!

Bill Gates, new Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella and outgoing CEO Steve Ballmer at the company campus in Redmond on Tuesday morning.

Question for you all -
    What do you think each man is thinking?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Rich | Poor | Rich
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    The first thought that pops up after looking that picture -
    That's the maximum number of Nokia phones I've seen in one place than I've EVER seen in the wild.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Bill: So, You're Next. 👀
    Satya: Geez! I've never been clicked so much. ☕
    Steve: Ah! Good old days! I will miss being in limelight. 😐
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Just curious, in back of Nadella, why those people taking photos, 😨.

Gates: I hope, I am not choosing a Marissa Mayer.
    Nadella: If Marissa Mayer can survive, I can do better job 😁
    Balmer: Hell ya, I didn't become another Gates but made loads of money. Job well done 😁
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I hope he does some wizardry and gets Microsoft back on the track. Satya would be remembered forever in history if he makes Microsoft 'the cool company' again. It's a job next to impossible, actually.

Maybe they need to invent a new line of products that will define the next wave of computing.
    He'll get fired if he does that. Remember what happened to Vikram Pandit of Citibank!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Anand Tamariya
    He'll get fired if he does that. Remember what happened to Vikram Pandit of Citibank!!
    Gets fired for making a new line of products? Why?
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Gets fired for making a new line of products? Why?
    Gets fired for making it successful. Another expample - Steve Jobs. As someone said, success is a bastard and failure is an orphan.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Abhishek RawalAnd another update : It's been five years of Tux3 development, and still it is not mainlined in Linux kernel. Well, you have to wait some more time since...
Can someone help me understand to how exactly C tags parses function names from c files?
Hi Friends, I have 4+ years of experience in software testing(manual) and now I would like to come out of testing field. I am also not interested in programming/coding. Please...
Is it just me or has the grammar gone down the hill in recent times? I regularly come across people that have a hard time forming simple sentences - these...
We are happy to announce the launch of our new website: https://forbixindia.com We manufacture electronic automation and lighting products. All our products are indigenous designed and manufactured in Bangalore India,...