1. Home >
  2. Apps >
  3. Groups >

IT Jobs For Mechanical Engineers

Question asked by Ankita Katdare in #Mechanical on Aug 8, 2011
Ankita Katdare
Ankita Katdare ยท Aug 8, 2011
Rank A1 - PRO
One of my friends asked me today about what kind of jobs are done by mechanical engineers in IT industry. 😐 I said, why do you want to go for IT job when you studied all the mechanical subjects for 4 years. She said because very few core companies visit the campus for placements, so she will have to opt for an IT company only.

I was speechless. What do you think CEans? Posted in: #Mechanical
ISHAN TOPRE
ISHAN TOPRE ยท Aug 8, 2011
Rank A2 - PRO
To stay simple: Computer engineers require brains but no brawn unless they are developing softwares which are high on marketing.

Core industries require a constant nagging behind workers unless you are not interested in research.

We require both. You cannot get your laptop if you are not in production field. However your laptop will show a blank screen until you have a operating system installed in it.

My experience in core industry whatever little it might be is as follows-

For 2-3 years I visit industries in MIDC area just for fun (many time project purposes) . There I met an *employee* who was working in a small scale industry which is also an ancillary unit of Mahindra and Mahindra. He is brilliant, with his brains he has transformed that ancillary unit to a considerably big unit. However he is stagnating there.

Why doesn't he go for another good opportunity?
The friend which AKD mentions might not have selected mechanical as a choice but because she was forced to.

Indian Youth are nowadays more attracted towards money. There have been many cases that software professionals get HUGE success within a shorter duration of time but provided you should be in business and you are *not an employee*

Getting placement is good just to ensure that our future is secured at least for a while until we decide what we want to do after graduation.

For some people,the answer may also be *Family reasons!* ๐Ÿ˜‰
Chandramouli Ghosh
Chandramouli Ghosh ยท Jul 19, 2014
Rank E2 - BEGINNER
being a mechie myself.. i had the same problem!!! tried real hard for a core job.. dropped CVs in several companies.. tried some PSU or govt jobs exam.. the thing is the core market is now really down..and hardly any company is interested in offering freshers a job.. whatever the salary may be..and thus we have to opt for some IT job!!
supriya VN gowda
supriya VN gowda ยท Feb 21, 2020
Rank C2 - EXPERT

Mechanical engineers have more programming knowledge than computer science or information science students. And if they know any programming languages they will get jobs in companies like TCS, Wipro, Infosys, capgemini, congnicent. One of my senior even that brother was mechanical engineer and now he was working as testing engineer and he told what we study in college is different from what we do in company.ย 

If you know basics of programming then you can get jobs in IT sector. One of my classmate who thought of studying mechanical engineer unfortunately because of their parents force he took computer science and he has more coding skills than my teachers and his coding way is too complicated and all my teachers ask him to explain his code but he was studying computer science because of his parents. So if you think you can work in IT field then you can choose testing, working on selenium, agile process it will be little easier to learn.ย 

You must log-in or sign-up to reply to this post.

Click to Log-In or Sign-Up