Is Your EGO an Asset or Liability? **A Must Read**

Is Your EGO an Asset or Liability?

By: #-Link-Snipped-#

Let's be careful about making generalizations in the workplace. Don't conclude that co-workers, employees, or even managers who have been beaten-down during their careers will become anxious if EGO rears its head. In fact, they might do some of their best work.
As a student of human psychology, I would offer that people tend to become insecure, jealous and vengeful (when wronged) to begin with. But it seems that when we look at great achievers throughout history, their motivation or drive was a setback - or just being told they couldn't do something. This pushed the achievers to allow their EGO to express itself.

Henry Ford's Engineers

I'm sure you all know a story or two about some engineers who were told that building a certain something was "impossible." Yet these inventors made it happen. For example, Henry Ford's automotive engineers designed some amazing 6-cylinder and 8-cylinder engines.
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't EGO the very essence of those who transform ideas from imagination to reality? Consider the following.

· Even though we hear the doubters, EGO is what allows us to ignore them.

· EGO is what tells us we can when everyone else says we can't.

· EGO is what causes us to create visions of grandeur and develop god complexes.

· EGO is what allowed the U.S. consumer and the U.S. economy to achieve tremendous levels of material success, and is now causing it to fall apart at the seams. (It's the wakeup call to reality that's so hard to digest.)

· EGO is what creates greatness, and too much of it is what destroys greatness.

The Tipping Point

EGO is a good thing - a very good thing. But that's true only until EGO reaches a tipping point. Then it becomes a bad thing - a very bad thing.
So what if you had the choice of having an EGO and all the volatility it entails, or not having an EGO and just going through the motions? Well, I'd choose the former. It makes life worth living! EGO provides energy and excitement, as well as success and failure.
To control EGO, we learn to turn it on when it helps and put it in a box when it does not. We also realize that we all get another chance to learn from our mistakes, and to try it all again.

Dr. Doug

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

It really made me see the world in a different way.
Thank you Dr. Doug. 😀

Replies

• Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Very nice articles Kashish. Noted a few points in my notebook. Keep posting such a good articles.

-CB
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Good article.

The point we should not forget is we should be able to control our ego.

To control EGO, we learn to turn it on when it helps and put it in a box when it does not.
    This is very impotant.
  • safwan
    safwan
    Always we should have good EGo than bad. above articles means (what i understand is ) we should keep our EGO in positive or in a good manner then Negative manners.
  • skipper
    skipper
    Hmm. I would add that meditative states (as in, yoga) are also a good idea, since if you "descend" into such a state you don't find any "EGO" in there; this leads to the "enlightened" opinion that "EGO" is something you invent for the "outside world", which doesn't in actuality exist, except in some mental state (which you can see clearly from a meditative state of mind).

Maybe we should all meditate more. It used to be called contemplation, it was something that creative and achiever types generally included in the day-to-day business of "being intelligent"; think Newton, sitting in an orchard, or Einstein, sitting in a patent office, and so on.

I think real achievers aren't that interested in their ego, they're too busy thinking. Though by all accounts, Newton had a hissy fit or two, he was possibly over-intelligent so banged up against that "personality impaired by a large IQ" that such unusual minds so often do. Ego is no big deal, it's just what you or anyone thinks they need to have, in order to defend their ideas. Everyone has ideas, some have better or more insightful ideas than others. Me, I generally react these days to being informed I "don't know what I'm talking about" with ignorance (I ignore them). Then my ego isn't concerned since "I don't know what they're talking about"
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    safwan
    we should keep our EGO in positive or in a good manner then Negative manners.
    Exactly

skipper
    I think real achievers aren't that interested in their ego, they're too busy thinking.
    Completely agree.
  • kashish0711
    kashish0711
    skipper
    real achievers aren't that interested in their ego, they're too busy thinking.
    that's an amazing thought. Will be my next t-shirt quote lolz

#-Link-Snipped-#: I have been reading your replies and I have got a fan of you and the way you see things around, its fantastic, I learned a lot from you. Thank You. 😀
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    Good article kashish,
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    skipper
    Hmm. I would add that meditative states (as in, yoga) are also a good idea, since if you "descend" into such a state you don't find any "EGO" in there; this leads to the "enlightened" opinion that "EGO" is something you invent for the "outside world", which doesn't in actuality exist, except in some mental state (which you can see clearly from a meditative state of mind).

Maybe we should all meditate more. It used to be called contemplation, it was something that creative and achiever types generally included in the day-to-day business of "being intelligent"; think Newton, sitting in an orchard, or Einstein, sitting in a patent office, and so on.

I think real achievers aren't that interested in their ego, they're too busy thinking. Though by all accounts, Newton had a hissy fit or two, he was possibly over-intelligent so banged up against that "personality impaired by a large IQ" that such unusual minds so often do. Ego is no big deal, it's just what you or anyone thinks they need to have, in order to defend their ideas. Everyone has ideas, some have better or more insightful ideas than others. Me, I generally react these days to being informed I "don't know what I'm talking about" with ignorance (I ignore them). Then my ego isn't concerned since "I don't know what they're talking about"

Man, Skipper Superb..

I completely agree with you 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello,i m abhinav agarwal doing 3rd sem in electronics and communication in pilani.i need some project to work upon.could u guide me out.can u give the name of the sites.
This thread contains solutions to interview questions discussed in the thread https://www.crazyengineers.com/forum...r-education/26844-cs-interview-questions.html Hope this thread will helps to a New members of CE and those who is preparing for interview....
hey CEans from chennai lets organise a CE meet in chennai for the first time.... all the CEans from chennai count on.... waiting for your replies...
CCFL 2.0 "The Ashes" Australia @ England​Hi all crazy CEans across the world! Welcome to another fantastic & crazy season of * Crazy Cricket Fantasy League - CCFL 2.0* This...
Hi! I'm on my last semester as a Mechanical Engineering undergrad and I'm looking for a nice topic for my thesis. We have 3 months to finish it doing simulations...