Is There Any Room For Innovation On The Internet?

The Internet is so crowded. Every day a new startup pops up in some corner of the world that offers a new service on the Internet. With everyone going online; I'm wondering whether there's any room for Innovation on the Internet.

It looks like seemingly stupid ideas are getting very popular. Twitter, which I personally think is a stupid idea, is extremely popular. I still believe that no one is interested in knowing what I'm up to or what's hot in my life every minute. But Twitter's got millions of users!

All the innovation I see today is in the hardware and the innovation in software is just following it. Apple develops iPad and then software makers start creating software for the iPad. Can the trend be reversed? Think about it.

Replies

• rishi0922
    rishi0922
    It's really a very innovative topic to have a debate on it ........./
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Well, I dont think the trend can be reversed.
    In fact, I think it's correct for software to follow hardware.

I'm not aware or any case of such a huge software success
    that hardware innovations were specifically made for utilizing the
    success of that software. It has almost always been hardware improvements
    followed by corresponding software, I think.

Wat do you all say?
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    I'm wondering whether there's any room for Innovation on the Internet. Twitter, which I personally think is a stupid idea, is extremely popular.
    yes, there is a place for Innovation on the Internet Biggie. Ofcourse some social networking sites are there, But in the same way we have some sites, forums and communities which focuses on stuff etc. are there Biggie. But, what the problem is we have less people join on forums compared to social networking sites.

All the innovation I see today is in the hardware and the innovation in software is just following it.
    Its correct Biggie. I think software should follow hardware or software and hardware both are made at the same time but I don't think that the trend can be reversed.

correct me if am wrong.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    I think hardware and software are related.So its not a big deal if hardware is getting improved first.

And as far as we think of internet there is always new to do.We can consider example of Gojiyo.com.There were a lot of social networking sites but they came up with an idea of including 3D world in it. Before this also we had virtual world...but i don't think that they were so effective.

Correct me if i am wrong.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I think we drifted a little off the topic. :neutral:

There indeed is a big room for innovation on Internet.

Take the example of Youtube. Nobody had ever thought that posting videos online for free*
    would be that big for a venture idea.

But, it happened. And now people would think that nothing innovative can happen in this area.

But, that's just so not true.
    Imagine a service where people put videos in their own language and they get automatically subtitled into english. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

I am not sure if that is already implemented. But, yes there definitely is a wide scope for innovation on the Internet.
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    Ofcourse there will be great scope for innovation on the internet. It a bottomless ocean according to me.

The internet's widespread reach has enabled us to transfer most of our daily services online. So there is simply no limit to what the internet is capable of.

One thing we could do is to make the internet a medium for home automation
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    is the discussion about the real network architecture or the services provided over internet?
    As far as core network is concerned, yes, there is a lot more to do. For example- the internet usage has sky rocketed in the past 5-6 years , we need better switches and routers in fact new technology to mitigate the bottle necks of slow running devices for better internet experiences.
    The more the data is sent , the more reliable the network needs to be be it encryption or quality or transfer speeds
  • Neema Ambhurkar
    Neema Ambhurkar
    The virtual world is so vast and there will always be a room for innovation in this world. Today, because of the internet we have access to almost every corner of the world. Also, there can be innovations BECAUSE of the internet! ;-)
  • tashirosgt
    tashirosgt
    There is lot's of room for innovation on the internet, but the innovation requires hard work. For example, wouldn't it be nice if I could look up my car on the internet and have an interactive display of its parts that would let me simulate taking it apart. It could tell me what size wrenches and sockets I would need etc. It could be a nice clear 3D color picture instead of a photograph of greasy grubby machinery.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    @ durga
    I guess optoelectronic circuitry will still take time to be commercially viable ๐Ÿ˜› Though while data rates are increasing exponentially, I do hope researchers are still seeking ways to push even closer to the Shannon Limit.

@tashirogst
    Good idea! If you check out the Google SketchUp 3D warehouse, there are many users who have uploaded free 3D models of various items that are somewhat close to the manufacturing specifications. Open these models up in the software, and you can rotate and take them apart. With some standardization and automation process, I guess car owners or enthusiasts (armed with some CAD and Flash/HTML5 knowledge) can set up an open repository where anyone can view their cars in 3D.

Wont be long before we'll have those holographic displays like in the Iron Man movies, hopefully ๐Ÿ˜€
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    @ash ๐Ÿ˜›, yup.I was particulary interested in the network enhancements , as to be able to provide better and new services, I feel its important for network to be capable off.

just as another example ,i had an opportunity to listen to one of the presentations, where few guys were trying to integrate the car internal communication system with that of a home network . yup! to have an advanced car, everything around you needs to be advanced but it was too innovative i felt, like checking if all the doors of house are locked ? if electric devices are off if not switch them off form within your car, or open the garage door as you near your house .. nice stuff

*i still am amazed by Shannon law, no one could disprove it till date*

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

With over a billion people (and the growth doesn't seem to decelerate) India is fast becoming world's #1 mobile market. India's cellular subscriber base is set to rise to 1.159...
Source: The Hindu Business Line : Tata Motors' turnover doubles in Q4, but net profit remains flat Tata Motors' standalone fourth quarter net profit was almost flat from a year...
Via: Bharti starts fund-raiser to buy Zain's African assets - India Business - Biz - The Times of India "Further to our announcement dated March 30, 2010 regarding the proposed...
Airtel Press Release: Bharti Airtel enters into a strategic partnership with Novatium to help expand the broadband market Launches Net PC Plus on Airtel broadband for customers in Chennai -...
Former VP Engineering at both Yahoo and Inktomi, and director of search @ twitter, Dough Cook has left twitter. Twitter has confirmed the departure of Dough Cook. The apparent reason...