Is there any phone / tablet manufactured entirely in India?

Just curious to know whether there's a phone or tablet that's all made in India? I used to think that companies like Micromax, LAVA, Spice and so on research and develop their gadgets in India; but later discovered that like most of the companies (Apple included), they get their products manufactured in China and then brand them with the company name and sell in Indian markets.

Is there any truly made in India gadget available? If yes, please name!

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Maybe Aakash tablets ??
    The Wikipedia shows that it is manufactured in India by a company named "Quad" which is established in Hyderabad.

And here it is another link saying it is partly made in china.
    India's Aakash tablet computer partly made in China

Tell us the truth, Tuli brothers & Kapil sibal. 😕
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Not really. Have you checked this : #-Link-Snipped-# ? Aakash tablets have been made in China and IITs didn't play significant role in development. 😕
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    The "Made in China" tag is actually misleading. Its generally not "Made in China" but "Assembled in China" (N/A for cheap unbranded products. They are made in China.)

On topic, what you mean by manufactured in India? Considering we don't have any Fab in our country (hence no semiconductor production), there can't be any "Made in India" electronics. ATM, the most we can have is "Assembled in India" but that wouldn't make sense because Chinese will do that work in 10X less price than Indian, hence, I don't think there's any electronics made in India. Though I am not 100% sure, its just I haven't seen any and according to my knowledge and beliefs, there can't be one considering the present scenario.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : I totally missed that point. Thanks! Yeah, I realised that most of the electronics gadgets are assembled in China. China may not be an electronics manufacturing hub; I guess it's the Taiwan that has most of the electronics factories (right?). China does have a huge manufacturing base though.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Taiwan does have a world's one of the biggest Fab, the TSMC, so yeah, at the component/ASIC level, they do manufacture a lot ( which is what exactly MADE in XXXX means). Lots of big market names gets their job done there. However, I am not sure if they have most number of electronics factory. I think China would take a lead in that as Assembling as well is considered an electronics factory, not sure though.

There's very less India could do unless we've our own Fab. That's the way we can truly have "Made in India" product.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am using paid antivirus and my friend using cracked antivirus. he told me that he is getting also internet update. if he is getting all services without paying any...
The Indian Government is quite innovative in terms of the new ideas they come up with. The latest update is that the GOI is planning to offer Aadhaar enabled smartphones...
i am in the final year.. i dont know which is the best field in ece to do projects like vlsi, embedded, etc.. and also what are the other fields...
I'm looking for a list of the ongoing mega-infrastructure projects in India. The list may include airports, railway-stations, bridges, stadiums and so on. I checked an old list on Rediff,...
Hello friends. Just signed up on CE.Hoping to have a nice interaction with my fellow engineers. Now I am a second year student of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering from Pune...