Is the life of electronic goods going down?

I believe this is an interesting debate topic. This evening, my father mentioned that the radio his father had bought lasted for about 22 odd years. However the modern electronic goods don't last for more than just 3-4 years.

Do you agree?
Do you think the life span of electronic goods has reduced?
Do you think it's deliberately being done by the electronic goods manufacturers?
Do you think there are other factors responsible?

Debate On, folks! ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

Replies

• tashirosgt
    tashirosgt
    I think the expected life of electronic goods is going down because electronics technology changes so quickly. People don't want to pay large amounts for a device since it will be obsolete in a few years, even if it still works. The manufacturers respond to the demand for inexpensive electronic products. In that sense, they do deliberately make the goods less durable because cheap materials are used. But I don't think the manufacturers are in a conspiracy to do this.

It would be interesting to compare electronic goods to some other goods where technology is stagnant. But what goods would those be?
  • jhbalaji
    jhbalaji
    Yeah mate The Technology get improves day by day and the manufactures try to reduce the price and life too mate..
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    tashirosgt
    It would be interesting to compare electronic goods to some other goods where technology is stagnant. But what goods would those be?
    Most likely things like vehicles. I wouldn't say the technology is stagnant, but still not as exponential as electronics. We still see decade old planes, ships and cars still in operation. As such, they are pretty durable ๐Ÿ˜€

Of course, rare electronic exceptions include military and space grade devices. Durable and expensive ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    There are some rare electronic devices which last for years, for example a television. However I agree with tashirosgt. The electronic technology is ever changing... and the prices keep going down with the advent of some thing new. So I guess the quality goes down too. No body wants to maintain the quality intact, since they want people to keep buying the higher versions every year or two. Look at laptops... they become redundant, like every year and a half.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    All of you, go and see #-Link-Snipped-#

Its not that life of electronic goods is going down, its just perceived obsolescence ๐Ÿ˜€
  • safwan
    safwan
    well, I believe is Today consumer market is composed more of middle class then upper and lower class ( we may take it as our nation India). Now , in this Manufacturers they try to built ranges types of quality.If we take example of Mobile. look , we have best quality of Hungary ( Nokia ) and we also have Chinese phone. of cores their is no doubt china has exploited market in such way that in every goods they wants to compete Good quality manufactures .Today consumers also have developed such Habit that they want short term enjoyment then long term.Their are some stuffs which are built to last as our some of CEans has identified ( planes/ships) and their are some which are just sometimes we cant trust its like Games .
    ( Its like proverb in Hindi " Chala to sal tak verna sham tak" which means if it works then it will be working till years else, till evening)

I too agrees that life of electronic goods going down.๐Ÿ˜€

But what could be reason for this??๐Ÿ˜• ๐Ÿ˜”
    It may be due to :

1 consumer Preference

2 Low quality used in manufacturing to bring down cost .

3 May be the policy of manufacturer to increase their sale .
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    kidakaka
    All of you, go and see #-Link-Snipped-#

Its not that life of electronic goods is going down, its just perceived obsolescence ๐Ÿ˜€
    Thanks dude, thats quite an eye opener! Well, its a good thing most engineers would reuse most of the components or materials of things they buy for other DIY projects, hehe. Of course, no matter how much effort is done to recycle goods, the amount of waste at production level is still quite staggering!

Looks like we need to look into the whole chain of production, especially extraction and disposal, if we wish to have sustainability and environmental protection.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Folks, In this thread, I'll ask questions about CE and you have to answer them. This thread is just a fun thread and meant to make you more familiar with...
Hi All, The efficiency of algorithm is defined in terms "O" notation. I am clear to some extent but i have some doubts too. If for a particular algorithm, i...
It would be handy for a logged-in user to have quick links to: "View my posts" and "View unanswered posts". I often use this feature on the SOS Mathematics Cyberboard...
This one is for the website owners. Don't panic if you get a mail like this one - We are Shanghai Chooke Network Information Technology Co., Ltd, which is the...
This one is for the Quality Assurance Engineers on CE: I've seen that lot of people are not aware of the difference between load testing and stress testing. Can someone...