Is the 'game over' for Blackberry?

Once the darling of smartphone & email lovers, the hot favorite of high flying business executives is now looking for a buyer. The company that's solely responsible for introducing & popularising smartphones to the world is no longer relevant in the game. Companies like Samsung and Apple have emerged as the two big bullies that have been eating almost every tiffin box in the class. Nokia already called it off and decided to go in the hands of Microsoft but Blackberry is still looking for a buyer. Who will buy Blackberry is still a mystery; but not a thing looks positive for the company these days.

The company recently tried to make a big comeback with Blackberry 10 operating system and the Q10 phone; but both failed to impress the blackberry loyalists. The Q10, though an excellent phone, messed it up with the BlackBerry Q10 Pre-Orders Begin In India - Here's An All You Want To Know.

I think Blackberry will ultimately find a buyer, but it'll be a brand irrelevant in the industry. Owning a Blackberry isn't cool anymore. Even if the new buyer tries to revive it with right pricing and features in the BB OS, I doubt the company will bounce back.

Do you think the game is over for Blackberry?

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Never.You may be correct on the the pricing criteria but if we consider its class, I bet Blackberry is having very less opponents to compete it. If pricing is corrected, BB can comeback.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    Never.You may be correct on the the pricing criteria but if we consider its class, I bet Blackberry is having very less opponents to compete it. If pricing is corrected, BB can comeback.
    Could you please justify those statements? - 'Blackberry is having very less opponents to compete' and 'correction in pricing can help BB make a comback'?
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    I think Yes, the game is over for BB, as they are also releasing BBM for Android and IOS users, then I wonder, why would someone opt for BlackBerry.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Could you please justify those statements? - 'Blackberry is having very less opponents to compete' and 'correction in pricing can help BB make a comback'?
    BB has the best in class business usage utilities and considering its reputation,I still believe its a master in its class : Especially for business usage.I agree that Z10 and q10 are overpriced but dont overrule a giant.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    BB has the best in class business usage utilities and considering its reputation,I still believe its a master in its class : Especially for business usage.I agree that Z10 and q10 are overpriced but dont overrule a giant.
    I think even business man would prefer Android or IOS over BB.

The galaxy series of Samsung, has much more to offer than BB, and Apple's IOS is always on the top.

I think both of these offer very nice features also for business class people, and official update for BBM would be there for both these OS, so I wonder, why would anyone go for BB.
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Yes, the game is over.
    The problem with Blackberry was that it never tried to penetrate the overall market. Their products always catered the needs of businessmen who just needed their smartphone to do office stuff like send mails. The broader audience however demanded much more; they need good cameras, popular games and bigger screens. Blackberry also faced problem with its app eco system as well. People do not want a Rs. 10000+ phone that cannot play all the games and apps that other people were running on their phones. When people have access to cheaper and better alternatives why would they go for Blackberry?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Right. If I were to think of buying a new phone and willing to spend over Rs. 30K in India - I'd look for options from Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple. Blackberry doesn't even come to my mind. They've reduced their ad spends in the last few months which might be a sign that Blackberry itself isn't hoping for a comeback. The Q10 did rise my expectations and I still believe that there's enough market for the phones with physical keyboards. But apart from that, there's no real advantage Blackberry offers over its rivals.

Blackberry's game was to keep the corporate users hooked by offering best in class security services; but that doesn't bring the 'coolness' factor with it. Over a period of time, Blackberry got its fame as 'phone for the suit & tie people who mean business' and not for the regular phone users. It did try to change it with the 'Blackberry Boys' campaign, and it worked for some time; but not anymore.

I think the Apple and the Samsung have become synonymous with the high-end smartphones. It's going to be very difficult for the new players to break into that league.

Surprisingly, Indian smartphone importers like Micromax have been giving tough time to both these biggies in India. Interesting games ahead.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Hasve anyone listen heard latest news about BlackBerry, It's going to be sold ๐Ÿ˜˜
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ianoop
    Have anyone listen latest news about BlackBerry, It's going to be sold ๐Ÿ˜˜
    Yep, and its co-founder seems to be interested in buying back the company latest by end of the year. I really wonder what mega plans the buyers will have for the company. Reviving any uncool brand is going to be a HUGE challenge.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    And Finally BB sold for 4.7 Billion.
    Fall Of Titans : Nokia & Blackberry.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Abhishek Rawal
    And Finally BB sold for 4.7 Billion.
    Fall Of Titans : Nokia & Blackberry.
    ...and a Hyderabadi bought it! ๐Ÿ˜€ Let's see what comes out of Blackberry now.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ...and a Hyderabadi bought it! ๐Ÿ˜€ Let's see what comes out of Blackberry now.
    Read following in Hyderabadi ๐Ÿ˜
    Prem Watsa : Tension nakko lo miya, BBM to iOS aor Android pe pakkaaaa aainnga..... thoda sabar karne ka...
    (Don't be panic, BBM will surely come to iOS and Android. wait just a little)
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    I am sorry to sound old fashioned at this time, but for the past couple of days, I've been hunting olx.in to see all the old models and their current price ranges - and I realized how much I miss those models. RIP Nokia and Blackberry!

Wish that there are more Bar model phones with some heart filling designs and cool software compatibility to blow my mind off. Totally bored with touch phones although there are lots of useful things I can do with those!

P.S.: My Mobile-Use-Chain over the years:

Nokia 3310 > (used 3 different models of this one - gave all 3 to some relatives)
    Nokia 3330 > (Dad still has this one)
    Nokia 2600 > (Got totalled after a ride inside the washing machine)
    Siemens C5 > (Gave it to an uncle)
    Nokia 6230i > (Still available with Dad)
    Nokia 6680 > (Still with me)
    Nokia N79 > (Gave to my cousin brother)
    Nokia 603 > (Gave to my sister)
    Samsung Ace > (Gave to my mom)
    Samsung S3 mini > (Took it from Mom but now gave to my dad after he exchanged his with mine)
    Samsung Note 2 > (Dad gave to me cause he doesn't like the size and now I'm stuck with it)
    Samsung C3322i - (with me as a secondary phone usage only)

The fact is that I've had a sentimental feeling for N79 and those phones before that. Now I'm in the mood to find the next phone and totally in a dilemma. Crazy feeling!๐Ÿ˜–๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿ˜”

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Molten air batteries have been demonstrated to offer highest ever energy storage capacities, making the competition look dwarf. For the first time, researchers have been able to manufacture molten-air batteries...
I just installed a free version of google play book from play store.It was used for reading books both online and offline.i selected a freebook from it and decided to...
Hello all I would like to know what is an ad hoc variable. Can you put in some examples too? Thank you in advance
The Indonesian International Motor Show 2013 has witnessed the launch of Honda Mobilio the LMPV or Low Multi-Purpose Vehicle globally. The Honda Mobilio, as the company puts it has been...
hi this is pankaj and i am a 2013 btech passout in ece ... i am having doubts about a thing ... someone suggested me that i should fill up...