Is SQL knowledge must for a test engineer?

For system testing is it mandatory to know SQL....?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    tanvi91jain
    For system testing is it mandatory to know SQL....?
    Nope, it's not a must. But is incredibly useful if you ever get into database testing.
  • tanvi91jain
    tanvi91jain
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Nope, it's not a must. But is incredibly useful if you ever get into database testing.
    ok... as compared to developer opportunities for test engineer is less???? i m hardly getting calls according to ma profile.....😔
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    tanvi91jain
    ok... as compared to developer opportunities for test engineer is less???? i m hardly getting calls according to ma profile.....😔
    Where you get a call or not will depend on several factors. Your skills set; location, experience etc. Keep updating your skills set and be prepared for the next opportunity that knows your door.
  • tanvi91jain
    tanvi91jain
    thanks...
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Companies looking for a tester for either a database or for a heavily data driven application will look for your SQL knowledge.
    It is entirely project based.
    If it is a database project, you should be comfortable with writing queries including JOINS, UNIONS etc.
    You should also have a good understanding of what some of the different performance implications are around inserts and updates, how indexing works for the various database platform they are using and that sort of thing.

PS: Any kind of knowledge can't go to waste. Try to improve your skills in related areas when you have time at hand.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    tanvi91jain
    In a typical development team of 9 people, there's only one tester. After all, development of a piece of functionality takes more effort than testing the same.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Anand Tamariya
    In a typical development team of 9 people, there's only one tester. After all, development of a piece of functionality takes more effort than testing the same.
    Disagree. Testing is an ongoing , continuous process.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Kaustubh Katdare
    When did I say it's not an ongoing process. I was just talking about the team composition.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Anand Tamariya
    When did I say it's not an ongoing process. I was just talking about the team composition.
    I disagree that development of a functionality takes more time than testing it. There cannot be a set standard for this.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I disagree that development of a functionality takes more time than testing it. There cannot be a set standard for this.
    How many testers vs. developers does CE have?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    In our team we have equal ratio of tester and developers.
    Developer job to code and well unit test and tester job is to test and take responsibility of functionality, testers also take responsibility of other project activity because they have some extra bandwidth than developers.
    And any wrong/delay happening is always responsibility of team not the developers.
    Anand Tamariya
    In a typical development team of 9 people, there's only one tester.
    This way too less ration and I don't think proper documentation being done on testing.
    So if anything goes wrong you will blame the developer right? and when this will happen, in final stage or after delivering the project.

Any software you are developing should have proof that you have coded and executed the test script which should contains all the test scenario mentioned in Use Case (requirement). this requires to code test scenarios/writing test scripts.
    These script are validated against requirement.
    If anything goes wrong or in dispute this executed script are validated to ensure that software developed exactly as per requirement and script executed and find out where things went wrong.
    This ensure the project quality and validate all requirement. As much as developer responsibility to code , tester responsibility to ensure the quality and all requirement met with proof.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Anand Tamariya
    How many testers vs. developers does CE have?
    One developer and 5 testers.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Kaustubh Katdare
    (bow) to mighty developer 😀
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thanks for the information. We are probably placed on the opposite side of the spectrum!!
  • tanvi91jain
    tanvi91jain
    Kaustubh Katdare
    exactly... a test engineer starts working,d moment requirements come.....as he reads,reviews n then starts preparing the test documents....
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm against generalisation. This platform, called 'xenforo' itself is being developed by two developers and tested by a strong community of over 500+ people.
  • Mrinmoy Swarnakar
    Mrinmoy Swarnakar
    Well in my experience (I have worked in mini projects and there) testing played an important role as after coding is successful only after a successful testing.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Things aren't just as boring as they are, when viewed in slow motion. This video created by UltraSlo has been shot at 400 fps (aka frames per second). It shows...
Do not freak out if your gadgets' screens get tinier than the usual ones. The findings of researchers suggest that the LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes) have successfully assumed the smallest...
Ahead of New Delhi Auto Expo 2014, Hyundai Motors India Ltd (HMIL) launched its latest Grand i10 sedan-Xcent on Tuesday. The new car is expected to strongly compete with Honda...
Say hello to Accucraft S150 - the 'Made In India' 3D printer, created by Mumbai's 'Divide By Zero Technologies'. Headed by Mr. Swapnil Sansare, the company wants to be one...
Amazon had announced for pre-order its latest Wi-Fi enabled Kindle Paperwhite earlier this year, and the e-reader is now officialy available for Rs 10,999 across several Indian retail stores. The...