Is Publicly Displaying Your Photos On Social Networks Okay?

I remember the times (in 2002-2004) when uploading your real photographs on the Internet was a taboo among many people. Lot of people feared that their photos could get manipulated on the Internet and misused.

However, the times seems to have change now. I see many people upload all their photo collection on the Internet and knowingly or unknowingly make it available for everyone to view and download.

Do you think it's a good thing? Do people do it consciously or it's just ignorance to "Online Privacy of Personal Information"?

Share your opinion.

Replies

• Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    well i think people have become more showy these days, they feel proud on boasting about their life style, they think it gives them popularity among their friends.
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    Yeah. Now a days friends remain in contact with social networking sites only because of tight work schedule. Sharing photos makes them feel like seeing each other. I know how my friends share there each and every event snaps on Facebook just to get a comment or compliment from others.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    goyal420
    well i think people have become more showy these days, they feel proud on boasting about their life style, they think it gives them popularity among their friends.
    I agree with what Goyal has quoted.
    I think it's ridiculous. People are getting under sheer peer pressure and uploading photos (to not appear un-cool)
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    In my opinion ,people are sharing their pics with friends and relatives and can't meet them in real .so is the best way to share the pics, I am not in favour to display to anyone but some which are very close to you.
  • Reya
    Reya
    Publicly displaying the photos on social networking sites has become an habitual thing for most of the people.They want others to give compliment and comment on their photos.That is the reason behind it.They dont think that if they upload it in facebook or some other social networking sites even people who are not their friends can access their pictures.I dont understand whether people are doing wantedly or unwantedly.How insane people are now??

@CD:If they want to share their pictures with relatives and friends why should not they mail the pictures to them??
    @Goyal:Well said manish!
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    AbraKaDabra
    I think it's ridiculous. People are getting under sheer peer pressure and uploading photos (to not appear un-cool)
    To your kind attention akd,
    goyal spoke the truth. And some truths may appear 'ridiculous'. But they are true, even if the supreme call them ridiculous. You know one thing, the word 'ridiculous' is the perfect word to hurt someone who says the truth, who said the truth after a lot of thinking and analyzing. To be frank, I am not perfect in any way to say this, but its not an appropriate word. This (CE) is a world stage, and one word can hurt a lot of people. I am not denying that some people do get under sheer pressure, as you told, but most of them, including girls are posting their photos due to the reason stated by goyal (At least 98 percent of who I know).
    Few people say that I give very long lectures about anything I speak. I hope this is short.
    Hope I am not hurting anybody. Please take this in good sense.
    Sorry and Thank you(Good think that the English people have made these words ๐Ÿ˜‰)
    AJ
    PS-Please remove that word akd, and I will remove this post too.
  • Neema Ambhurkar
    Neema Ambhurkar
    Publicly displaying photos on social networking sites is yet another trend in today's date. Someone started it and everyone else followed.
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    praveena211
    @CD:If they want to share their pictures with relatives and friends why should not they mail the pictures to them??
    I think for most of them to downloads the attachments is verytime taking and then viewing it.and by sharing and get some comment by their relatives feels you that you are very close to them though virtual but in a real way.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    aj_onduty
    To your kind attention akd,
    goyal spoke the truth. And some truths may appear 'ridiculous'. But they are true, even if the supreme call them ridiculous. You know one thing, the word 'ridiculous' is the perfect word to hurt someone who says the truth, who said the truth after a lot of thinking and analyzing. To be frank, I am not perfect in any way to say this, but its not an appropriate word. This (CE) is a world stage, and one word can hurt a lot of people. I am not denying that some people do get under sheer pressure, as you told, but most of them, including girls are posting their photos due to the reason stated by goyal (At least 98 percent of who I know).
    Few people say that I give very long lectures about anything I speak. I hope this is short.
    Hope I am not hurting anybody. Please take this in good sense.
    Sorry and Thank you(Good think that the English people have made these words ๐Ÿ˜‰)
    AJ
    PS-Please remove that word akd, and I will remove this post too.
    I guess you took it in the wrong sense.
    I quoted Goyal's post, because I totally agree with him. His words are absolutely correct. And the concept of 'displaying photos' is ridiculous. Not Goyal or You.

PS: So many words in that post. Did you get a new keyboard?
    Ridiculous.
  • Reya
    Reya
    @CD:why do they people dont think that those pictures can be viewed by others?
    why should not they send their pictures privately and get the comments about it?Why they dont think about the consequences they face if they post it?
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    AbraKaDabra
    I guess you took it in the wrong sense.
    I quoted Goyal's post, because I totally agree with him. His words are absolutely correct. And the concept of 'displaying photos' is ridiculous. Not Goyal or You.

Ridiculous.
    The one fault you did was quoting the words of goyal. That made a few CEans read as if you are telling that goyal's words are ridiculous. The next time, please use the words accordingly when you post something. because people look at what you quoted before they read the post.
    Not Goyal or You.
    Whoa, where do I come in picture? Did I post something before post no.4 (your post) so that anyone can even think about me? How will the reader ever find that I can be ridiculous, I have to comment something to make myself look ridiculous. Analyze the matter to know who is really getting ridiculous.
    Ridiculous.
    Now how is so many words in one post getting ridiculous?

Dear akd, for your knowledge-
    Ridiculous-Involving or expressing ridicule.(courtesy-thinkexist.com)
    ridicule-speech or action intended to cause contemptuous laughter at a person or thing; derision.(courtesy-dictionary.com)

Its true that we may not know the exact meaning of each and every word we use, but we do have an idea of what it may mean. That is, we know how much it may make sense in the sentences. Well, don't look at me, I am not a grammar teacher. I am weak in English. ๐Ÿ˜
    Well, I am using my old, dust-filled keyboard still, keyboards don't matter as long as you work out and have a healthy body.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    No comments.
    Let's stick to the topic here.
  • gohm
    gohm
    My opinion is simply that they are your photos and as long as they do not infringe on or negatively affect someone else, you are free to post or not post as you see fit, it is your property and not my business. The internet is "buyer beware" territory so if someone posts something that could affect them negatively professionally or personally by being viewed by the wrong person, that's their own fault.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    gohm
    My opinion is simply that they are your photos and as long as they do not infringe on or negatively affect someone else, you are free to post or not post as you see fit, it is your property and not my business. The internet is "buyer beware" territory so if someone posts something that could affect them negatively professionally or personally by being viewed by the wrong person, that's their own fault.
    I suppose posting pics of cars and bikes is safer than people ๐Ÿ˜›
  • gohm
    gohm
    ๐Ÿ˜ Ash! Now I'm clearly visible if you look hard through the helmet.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    gohm
    ๐Ÿ˜ Ash! Now I'm clearly visible if you look hard through the helmet.
    Yes, don't you think your "dangerous" autocross antics will negatively affect your professionalism? ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Watch this video:

[video=youtube;H5XZp-Uyjsg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5XZp-Uyjsg[/video]

Think before you post on facebook.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @AKD: That's one of the reasons I don't use any social networking sites. I truly believe they are waste of time and I'm certainly not interested in letting people know what I'm up to every minute. What Obama says is just common sense.

There are lots of great things to do on Internet. You just have to find them.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @Biggie: I want everyone to know about this. This awareness needs to spread like wildfire. People are so ignorant about personal safety. ๐Ÿ˜
  • Neema Ambhurkar
    Neema Ambhurkar
    The_Big_K
    @AKD: That's one of the reasons I don't use any social networking sites. I truly believe they are waste of time and I'm certainly not interested in letting people know what I'm up to every minute. What Obama says is just common sense.

There are lots of great things to do on Internet. You just have to find them.
    Exactly the reason why I am also not registered in any of the social networking sites.
    People chat to people that they have spent the entire day with and put up silly comments on the photos(which are also silly).

Social networking sites have good uses too but more than using it for a good reason, people are just wasting their time on it doing nothing!
    I may sound harsh but it's the truth!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Or what you do to look good. ๐Ÿ˜ Share your secrets of being healthy and beautiful. I use to drink lots of water. Drinking water can clear up your skin...
CEans, It had been an old idea and we're seriously talking about implementing it. The most common problem faced by many engineering candidates is that they are totally unprepared for...
Happy christmas Week . May this festival bring you ray of hopes and happiness to your lives. Wish you peace๐Ÿ˜€
Can anyone tell me what is screen editor and why it is use for. I have to create some tabs(screens) names using screen editor. How can it be useful ?
I have just joined One big IT company and my project revovles around servers. for accessing our server we have to enter passcode every time. beacuse firewall do not allow...