Is networking field good for girls?

Is networking field good for girls? If yes what track or specializations they should take in CCNA and CCNA?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    sanjanaaa
    Is networking field good for girls??? If yes what track or specializations they should take in ccna and ccna...??
    I'm not sure there is any exception; but no engineering related profession these days differentness between male and female engineers. The answer to your first question is 'yes' - networking is a good field for girls; and boys too. Just make sure that you first understand what kind of jobs networking domain offers. It will ensure that you will enjoy working as a networking engineer and develop relevant skills set.

I'm tempted to tag #-Link-Snipped-# who should be able to guide you further.
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    sanjanaaa
    Is networking field good for girls? If yes what track or specializations they should take in CCNA and CCNA?
    Any field is good if you enjoy it. IMO, CCNA will be a good start and then you may aim for CCNP, for specializations, first get in the field. See which part includes most of your work and then get specialization in that sub-field.
    Good Luck!
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    networking is an amazing feild for anyone. It is further more amazing for girls for below reasons:
    1. you might not have feild work, if you do , then u get to travel places
    2. you will not be put in night shifts, but if you were - you are safe for the rest of the night in your office premises
    3. you get to show that you have great brains and can handle problems which you generally cant see- like a inconsistency in routes etc
    4. good engineer get recognised- be it male or female
    5. you will also be proving all the naysayers - who said networking is not for girls wrong

now that we have convinced ourselves that networking is amazing feild for girls, go ahead and think what interests you- are you interested in wireless technologies, Datacentres, routing and switching , security , virtualisation and check the certification pyramid for that feild.
    Certifications are not really tht important after you start, but then you still kinda need certs in case you are starting afresh.if you do an amazing job and want to pursue higher certs , you can always gwt your employer to sponsor
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Check #-Link-Snipped-# too. For Indian students, the price has dropped from $499 (INR 30K) to mere $79 (INR 5K). This course is self-paced, so you can do alongwith other course too and it will surely help you a lot if you're planning to be SysAdmin.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    If you just had to pick one, I would suggest to try the network security track, especially on implementing/auditing information security policies.

Start off with CCNA Route & Switch, then CCNA Security, then CompTIA Security+. By this point you'll have a good feeling of what direction to take from there before progressing in the InfoSec career.

Good luck!
  • ramya Sree
    ramya Sree

Can electrical student take CCNA course

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-# - yes, electrical students can take CCNA course. However, you'll need some basic information about computers and networks. It'd help in completing the course.

• Rahul Jamgade
    Rahul Jamgade

I have been Head of IT department for different companies. I had few girls that work under me. I would like to share my views here.

1. Girls are welcome in this field, but you find minimal percentage in the actual field as compared to other fields like Databases, Quality engineers, Developers etc...

2. When you talk about networking fields, it is important to understand that you have two segments, Systems and Networking.Hence you need to understand difference between them.

3. If you talk about CCNA and CCNP track, then you become restricted to pure networking and not "Systems". This becomes a big bottleneck as you have very less requirement for pure networking and has to play role during establishment of infrastructure of company at the initial stage. 

4. One does not have much work unless you have any issues with Network such as Network Done, Slow speed, Internet issues as Network and Internet is supposed to be stable with SLA around 99.8 percent.

5. If the Network has issues than one has to be available  anytime even during midnight as the entire workforce is dependent on the network and hence by morning everything should be up and running.

6. Also there is a field work (though) within the premises of the office and has to handle lot of pressure as Network affects everyone.

7. There are very less ISP's and hence job opening with them in limited. Hence shifting the job is also restricted.

8. To me one should have a combination of Networking and Systems so that you are not restricted due to your skillsets.

9. It has nothing to do with Boys vs Girls, but to make you aware that issues may arise at later stage  and needs to be understood before taking jump.

10. I appreciate that you have shown interest in the networking field .

I will be happy to answer if you have further queries on the points that I mentioned here.

All the best.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A compilation of ideas to celebrate engineers day at your college or at workplace. You may organize these simple events, competitions, quizzes and challenges easily.
These days due to global warming we are not left with an option and we have to get our rooms fitted with air conditioners. It has been several years that...
Guys, I have some trouble in finding a certification course in Networked video transmission If anyone has by any chance idea of any such courses pls share in this thread?...
Today our CEan @Gurjeet Singh and @Nayan Goenka celebrating their Birthday. Wish you many many happy returns of the day.
OPPO India has launched a new smartphone called the OPPO R5s that features Android 4.4 KitKat OS layered with the company's own interface design called ColorOS 2.0.0i . Running atop...