Is Modern Internet Flooding Us With More Useless Information Than Useful One?

This is the topic for CE Weekend Debate #4. Description of the topic is as follows -​
Description:​
There were times when Internet had simple informative pages which you could access and get information. But Internet has evolved and we're fed with huge amount of mixed information: Right from whether your friend's cat has pooped on sofa to life saving emergency numbers during earthquakes.​
The debate is scheduled between 3-4 PM (IST) on Sunday, 19 May 2013. This thread will be made open exactly at 2:59:59 PM (IST) on 19 May 2013.​
You're advised to prepare for the topic and back your arguments with facts, figures, your own thoughts etc. 😀​

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    This debate is now live. Start!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Looks like a lower turnout day. 😀
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    Yes, the modern internet has now become a destination for useless information.The reason is e-business .Money making through web has become a great success in recent time. There is a need to block such sites & links.
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    It( modern internet ) needs to be filtered out to outlay such malicious content. A difference has to be created between the socializing medium & the informative (knowledge related to education).
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    At times we need vital info. which is very imp. But, when we open the sites it is more of flooded with advertisements than the subject we are searching for.
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    A special cell has to be built up likewise the cyber contents monitoring unit which could keep an eye on such useless contents & remove them so that the necessary informative contents are not merged up with the useless one.
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    Now a days when we google up for a certain sets of info. Many links are on screen some of them are spam some are even not trustworthy. I feel that triggers irritation when we are need of something imp. & when we search for it we reach to a site which is something out of it.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Agree whatever is said, that internet is feeding us with huge amount of information, but again my point is when should we say that it is excess... more than we required?

We people are posting more and more queries, do we every think that this is not the question we should ask on internet, we are the ones who is making it flooded.
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    we already have social networking sites like facebook, twitter were we just hangout with our friends share things, comment, like ,pull each others leg but when it comes to searching info a stream of pages sre in front of us which actually confuses us & takes lot of time going through all the pages & finally getting the proper one.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Now a days when we google up for a certain sets of info. Many links are on screen some of them

Many links are spam, but many are useful as well, you go to internet to look for useful ones, right?
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    crazyboy
    Agree whatever is said, that internet is feeding us with huge amount of information, but again my point is when should we say that it is excess... more than we required?

We people are posting more and more queries, do we every think that this is not the question we should ask on internet, we are the ones who is making it flooded.
    excess info. doesn't matters what matters is right & trustful info.
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    crazyboy

could u plz elaborate how we are making it flooded.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Every good thing is bound to followed by the bad ones, In early 2000 internet started as a boon to the technologists than sooner it became necessity for a normal human being and today it reached a position when it is flooded.

But again, that was bound to happen, so depends how we use it.
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    crazyboy
    Many links are spam, but many are useful as well, you go to internet to look for useful ones, right?
    yes exactly. so there is a need to abandon such useless sites.
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    crazyboy
    Every good thing is bound to followed by the bad ones, In early 2000 internet started as a boon to the technologists than sooner it became necessity for a normal human being and today it reached a position when it is flooded.

yes the requirement is to drop the bad ones .
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    could u plz elaborate how we are making it flooded.
    We are the ones who post questions and things like
    your friend's cat has pooped on sofa to life saving emergency numbers during earthquakes
    . Do you think all our queries make sense??
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Let me say something, not to pointing out something.

here we are doing some productive discussion, may be many of the folks will think that we are filling web with Junk?? Possible right?

So it depends who think which information is useful and which is not.
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    how
    crazyboy

to judge which site is the best ????????? among all these sites how would i know which is the accurate site which is free of useless info . Some sorts of certification or indication should be given right???????? iam asking for that certification or filtration u can say.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Advice: Please get back on the track, please.
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    if al
    crazyboy

if already there is a link that share the same info. now u open up the other link which has the same copypasted content what's the use of it can't a single link isn't enough??????????
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    divya nair
    sorts of certification or indication should be given right???????? iam asking for that certification or filtration u can say.
    Is that feasible task? an how to draw the line.

Take an example, I found a website that discuss about time machine, at this point of time I am sure they are talking about hypothetical topic. I will report that as absurd or timepass. But that would stop a topic that may turn as reality some day, right?
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Today, with the evolution of Social Networking sites, most people are busy in just twittering, facebooking, etc.

and less useful searches are made.

The internet has surely some useful information but most of it is not needed.
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    flooding the sites with same info. is something which is called useless if the site offers something exclusive, better or interesting then it's good for all .
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    crazyboy
    how can one determine the best site ? by opening or going through all those sites???????? never such a waste of time & energy.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Moreover, The major problem I and many of us as students faced is, whenever we are searching of some useful information, we are given a lots of advertisements.

While these are a major drawback, some of them contain explicit content, which creates turmoil.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    I agree, we can say that Internet is flooded with more and more information (probably more than we required). However saying that useless would be harsh. As it is really hard to demarcate the line that what is useless or what is useful.

Info useless for you can be useful for me.
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    this se
    crazyboy
    Is that feasible task? an how to draw the line.

Take an example, I found a website that discuss about time machine, at this point of time I am sure they are talking about hypothetical topic. I will report that as absurd or timepass. But that would stop a topic that may turn as reality some day, right?
    ction has to be moved in recent developments in future not mixed up with other sites. A marginal line has to be drawn right to judge the useful one.
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    Sanyam Khurana
    Today, with the evolution of Social Networking sites, most people are busy in just twittering, facebooking, etc.

and less useful searches are made.

The internet has surely some useful information but most of it is not needed.
    sometimes we do need useful search at that time what we do is opening up all the links one by one right?
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    But some of the sites often give very useful and moreover free information to help students.

As a CSE student thenewboston.com offers great tutorials for me,

People often get paid tutorials from site like torrent but these inspite of giving useful information are flooded with unnecessary information, which does more bad then good
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    crazyboy
    I agree, we can say that Internet is flooded with more and more information (probably more than we required). However saying that useless would be harsh. As it is really hard to demarcate the line that what is useless or what is useful.

Info useless for you can be useful for me.
    agreed. but iam saying that 2 sites sharing the same info that is matching word to word would that be useful to u rather than flooding internet?
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    Sanyam Khurana
    Moreover, The major problem I and many of us as students faced is, whenever we are searching of some useful information, we are given a lots of advertisements.

While these are a major drawback, some of them contain explicit content, which creates turmoil.
    yes that advertisements has to be removed.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain

Absolutely agree that it is frustrating at times and some spammers (Bad elements) are worsening the situations by spreading virus, spams and advertisements.

However, Look at the brighter side of it. Many a times, you got to learn so many things that you were not intended to search. right?
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    divya nair
    sometimes we do need useful search at that time what we do is opening up all the links one by one right?
    yes of course we do it, but it's also a bitter truth that most of it are not needed useless info.

Search any topic, but this is the truth that you get much useless info rather than getting useful info..

The amount of Useless info is much more than the useful one.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    These sites should be surely restricted, and moreover with the advancement in internet, now the crimes are increasing virtually rather than physically.

Spammers just take out all your info, (now even by tracing your clicks on advertisements) and steal your cookies.

This in turn is targetted at you, and you are spammed at a high rate.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    agreed. but iam saying that 2 sites sharing the same info that is matching word to word would that be useful to u rather than flooding internet?
    Have you ever heard a world without a bad element.
    Those are spread across the physical or web world. and on web good cops are doing there best that piracy and plagiarism can be stopped. There are millions of bad elements and few hundred cops. Things would take time to improve.

Till that we need to bear with that.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    While we were just trying to get some useful info, what we get is

> We get malicious and Explicit content.

> Targeted by hackers and spammers

> Leads to misery.
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    crazyboy
    Those are spread across the physical or web world. and on web good cops are doing there best that piracy and plagiarism can be stopped. There are millions of bad elements and few hundred cops. Things would take time to improve.

good always comes with bad but the weightage of this bad is increasing day by day which may turn out to be a problem for all of us
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    crazyboy

I agree at this..
    World both virtually and physically cannot be somewhere we will find all good.

Now less good is there and more malicious content are faced by us.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Probably we all are trying to discuss how much is the limit..
    Probably "Information Overloading" is the right term for the discussion, but again this is offering room for interpretation.
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    A set of setting should be done that if a person is searching for a topic then the recent, updated trustworthy site should be in the 1st order after that if a individual is interesting in seeking more info. then they can go back for it.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    I am not against internet as a bad element, it provide us with good and useful info , but at the same time the bad impact of it cannot be ignored .

And now, with the more evolution of technology, we are facing more bad than good.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    and information Overloading is not a new phenomenon. Take it in WWW, or any other things. a year back I was reading a survey, that every day 1000 books are published across the world, and every 5th year the information written in the books are doubled with plagiarism.

So information overloading is the pain not only faced by web its a bitter truth, and has to be interpreted indifferent ways.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    crazyboy
    Probably we all are trying to discuss how much is the limit..
    Probably "Information Overloading" is the right term for the discussion, but again this is offering room for interpretation.
    Well information overloading may be the wrong term here.

As it can be used for only one sided info either good or bad.

But today, we are getting loaded with more useless info than what we need.
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    crazyboy
    and information Overloading is not a new phenomenon. Take it in WWW, or any other things. a year back I was reading a survey, that every day 1000 books are published across the world, and every 5th year the information written in the books are doubled with plagiarism.

So information overloading is the pain not only faced by web its a bitter truth, and has to be interpreted indifferent ways.
    so the info. needs to be updated with the old one.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    crazyboy

Yes, this is indeed true fact.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Internet is flooding with information because of its read/write nature.

I learnt something, I expressed something what i interpreted after learning that and that interpretation can be right or wrong. Similarly there would be hundreds who would read that and will express their view. This way read/ express / write nature of internet is making is flooded with information.
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    information is there in internet jammed up by advertisements, malicious contents, spammers.Some sites even unnecessarily ask for personal info. like phone no. email id's e.t.c. what's the need of that?
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Useless information is made intentionally, just for some money and fun.

and it's really painful for the people who are in need of some info, and they can't get it, just because of the over flooding of useless information.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    divya nair
    information is there in internet jammed up by advertisements, malicious contents, spammers.Some sites even unnecessarily ask for personal info. like phone no. email id's e.t.c. what's the need of that?
    Well, they are simply cyber criminals and getting money is what all they need.

so people are asked for the info.

Well, many of us may don't know, but this info is sold , the databases are sold to various companies (all with personal info) and they make good bucks.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    This is a bitter truth of the cyber world. 👎
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    iam
    crazyboy
    Internet is flooding with information because of its read/write nature.

I learnt something, I expressed something what i interpreted after learning that and that interpretation can be right or wrong. Similarly there would be hundreds who would read that and will express their view. This way read/ express / write nature of internet is making is flooded with information.
    iam not against the freedom for expression but the medium of that expression shouldn't be mixed up with the useful contents & should be separated.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    I absolutely agree with the fact, that "The backlash against the excessive information loading of the modern Internet era is getting stronger every passing second."

we are helping it to make stronger. The questions is how that can be stopped? and is that going to burst a day?
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    crazyboy
    I absolutely agree with the fact, that "The backlash against the excessive information loading of the modern Internet era is getting stronger every passing second."

we are helping it to make stronger. The questions is how that can be stopped? and is that going to burst a day?
    this could be stopped only if we are aware of the sites that are useful & to determine it cyber security & help should be provided.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    crazyboy

Well if and only if people are stop getting greedy, and do harm to people , there is no way we can get rid of useless informations.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Last year, I read a book ..
    The Information: A History, A Theory, A Flood
    Amazing book, probably author was not hinting towards Web, but he explained each and every aspect of information overloading. Today, I can relate that how web is also going towards that. However the fact is that is very interpretive for each and every individual. For me, its not at peak and still manageable for you it may be at its peak.

If we want to help WEB, there are ways to save your self and give a helping hand to slower its speed, is are no way to stop spreading Information overloading in a day.

-CB
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    if things will go on like this then one will hesitate & think a while to search a topic which could be lethargic & monotonous. Can't things be made easier?
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    We are the one's to spread awareness about this, if we enter the information on trusted site (with verified certification) and when only they are needed, it's a step to become more safe in the online world.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    The fact is .. there is TOO MUCH TO KNOW.. again a wonderful book to read on the same topic.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thank you everyone for participating in this debate. Posts after this won't be considered as a part of the contest. As always, the result will be declared on Monday.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Even when we get some useful information, we get more information with it, it's generally flooded, more and more. The reading of long information, makes us lethargic.
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    this
    crazyboy
    Last year, I read a book ..

Amazing book, probably author was not hinting towards Web, but he explained each and every aspect of information overloading. Today, I can relate that how web is also going towards that. However the fact is that is very interpretive for each and every individual. For me, its not at peak and still manageable for you it may be at its peak.

If we want to help WEB, there are ways to save your self and give a helping hand to slower its speed, is are no way to stop spreading Information overloading in a day.

-CB
    i wish this manageable could remain manageable in the coming years as the internet is growing up so is it's consumers i hope internet is used for something useful.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Even when we get some useful information, we get more information with it, it's generally flooded, more and more. The reading of long information, makes us lethargic.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    What we think useful is always information!!!
    There are always data untill it get useful and together becomes information.
    I would say internet is being flooded with useless data, misleading information and following we can say distracting.

If I am searching for something in Google and get tons of pages in result. more of them copy of each other with some relevant but some are non relevant.
    Relevant search results are information for us, but then again its upon us how to select most relevant to us.
  • Whats In Name
    Whats In Name
    Internet is useful because it has every type of information,the fact that every one can submit anything makes it pool of information.What is useless for one can be useful for someone else,it doesn't implies that everything is useful,it just means everything is information in some kind or other.Internet is useful because it has perhaps everything if internet limits the submission of any kind of information to it then it will always lack something which will certainly make it less effective.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    I'm shocked. Aren't we all discussing useless information? What use is this discussion going to make to an outsider? Will he be left perplexed or paranoid after reading through all these 65 or 66 posts? What is he going to gain out of this discussion? What are we doing here? 😒

Thought? 😏

My point of view: We're the content writers here. What each of us writes will reflect in the overall outcome/welfare of this website. Similarly it's the case for the internet. We're given ample freedom to do whatever we want with the internet that we take it for granted. What if internet was made paid and that too with word limit? What would happen? - We might get a shorter book with essential and useful content!☕ Thank goodness not everyone can publish a book! 😯

#What's the point of blaming the internet for expanding with uselessness, when people like you and me can't stop creating more 'stuff' that means nothing to someone else??? (who's up for next debate )
    ##It all comes under Freedom of Expression! God Save WWW!!!
  • Whats In Name
    Whats In Name
    Everything can mean something at some point of time.One reading this is subconsciously acknowledging other's views which in turn will expand his knowledge.You can never generalize the type of people worldwide.People can wish to access any type of information at any point of time and internet will adroitly provide it!
  • Whats In Name
    Whats In Name
    I am not a supporter of redundant information but as far as it is not totally copied every information may hold something unique.I have seen certain people who find it interesting to read personal blogs,for them it is information,for some it is totally useless.Different people perceive information differently.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Here's the topic of CE Weekend Discussion #3 - Is Modern Internet Flooding Us With More Useless Information Than Useful One? Description:​There were times when Internet had simple informative pages...
public String getUserID(String usernmae, String password) { String flag = ""; try { if (true) { socket = new Socket("localhost", 8080); dos = new DataOutputStream(socket.getOutputStream()); dos.writeUTF("SignIn"); dos.writeUTF(username); dos.writeUTF(password); dis =...
Ever since Marissa Mayer took over the control at Yahoo, the company's managed to grab some attention from the media. This time, it's about Yahoo's plans to buy Tumblr -...
Google's launched 'Native Client' a new technology that will allow developers to run their native C, C++ compiled code on the web; as a part of the web apps. Native...
What is a dangling name and Dangling Pointer????