Is life on earth because Ice floats on Water and Water Vapor floats in air?

Water is anomalous in that ice has a lower density than liquid water and water vapor floats in air.
If like other materials solid water had been heavier, all water bodies could freeze fully killing all larger life forms. Likewise rain is possible because water vapor rises as clouds and deliver water at various places. Water based life is possible becuase of these phenomena.
The question is whether this is by design of a Creator (God or what you will) or a happenstance?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Interesting topic! Maybe it's all because of the basic characteristics of majority of the solid, liquid and gases?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Interesting topic! Maybe it's all because of the basic characteristics of majority of the solid, liquid and gases?
    Almost all solids are denser than their liquid form and so will sink. Water is the opposite.
    Likewise most liquids at ambient temperatures have vapors that are denser than air. Again water is anomalous.
    But for this behaviour of ice and water vapor life of the present kind would not have evolved on earth.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Absolutely a coincidence. Or maybe because life on earth is water progenited, we happen to give so much importance to this anomaly.

Mercury has frozen ice on the poles, Maven has detected water vapor in the atmosphere. No life there (as of today). If we were having this conversation on Titan, I think we would say that life is possible there only because of Alkane seas exist on the surface. We would have made Methane and Ethane the center of our chemical existence.

Although, the points you made make sense, if ice would have been a normal solid, sinking to the bottom, thermal insulation for the water mass underneath would be impossible. But that does not mean the whole water mass on earth would freeze, we have equatorial regions where the water would not come close to freezing.

Water vapor on the other hand, is no special. It has phase properties consistent with other compounds.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Shashank Moghe
    Water vapor on the other hand, is no special. It has phase properties consistent with other compounds.
    Not exactly. It is one molecule whose molecular weight of 18 makes the vapour much lighter than air. Water vapour filled balloons have better lift than hot air balloons.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Well as much as that is true, what I meant was that there is no anomalous phase related behavior like that in case of ice. It sure goes buoyant in air, but so would methane, had we been living on Titan.
  • Garvit Garg
    Garvit Garg
    Almost everything that happens on earth is the reason of life possible here....life would have never been possible on polar places if the 4'C density of water would be having no different behavior than other liquids.....and if it would have been different than i feel that evolution of living creatures would have been different accordingly....same applies to if we were of titan....
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    As I said, we have a biocentric view of this universe. I would be a better judge of human evolution if I were a lifeless rock flying in space. We tend to feel special, because we exist.
  • Garvit Garg
    Garvit Garg
    Shashank Moghe
    If we were having this conversation on Titan, I think we would say that life is possible there only because of Alkane seas exist on the surface. We would have made Methane and Ethane the center of our chemical existence.
    we are having same point of view i guess.....by evolution i meant same thing....if we were of titan than human body may have evolved to make its energy source as methane or ethane related reaction for breathing....or some other source....same point....
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    All eart based life forms are (quite efficient thermodynamically) heat engines. There is a fuel and oxidant and a process. We have to see what sort of process can work on Titan with an essentially pure nitrogen atmosphere.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Garvit Garg
    we are having same point of view i guess.....by evolution i meant same thing....if we were of titan than human body may have evolved to make its energy source as methane or ethane related reaction for breathing....or some other source....same point....
    Yes I said the same thing. We are on the same track.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    A.V.Ramani
    All eart based life forms are (quite efficient thermodynamically) heat engines. There is a fuel and oxidant and a process. We have to see what sort of process can work on Titan with an essentially pure nitrogen atmosphere.
    Again, a biocentric view. We would never know if a life form on Titan can be a better thermodynamic system unless we study one.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Shashank Moghe
    Again, a biocentric view.
    Of course. The posts are about biological earth based life.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Don't get me wrong here Sir, but the view can be universal. We are not restricted to think from inside the box. My point is, we tend to centralize everything around us and not pay heed to the possibility that "we" could have been anywhere else in the universe. Life probably exists as naturally in non-water worlds.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

After reviewing the 110cc scooters available in the market, we finally settled on TVS Scooty Zest and got the delivery yesterday. Since I could not find any review that covers...
hi everyone.. i am working as iOS developer in wipro.. can we start any grp or forum which is regarding iOS development and mobility development ...
FIAT has reportedly confirmed that the India launch of its Avventura crossover (based on Punto Evo hatchback) shall happen October 21st, 2014. Auto enthusiasts who've been following Avventura since its...
Can anyone share any video classes or information regarding SAP agentry and SAP native iOS mobile application development...
First,may i know what is the adv of fitting a petrol engine to a truck compared to diesel engine?