Is it worth doing MS in India?

I'm curious to know whether it's worth doing MS in India? The current trend is to go to a foreign country for MS courses in advance engineering disciplines? If yes, what are the reputed colleges that offer MS degree?

Replies

• saimriyaz
    saimriyaz
    In india there is no MS course...............Here we have M .Tech only................
  • SheldonCooper
    SheldonCooper
    Some universities do offer MS Course in India.But I heard from most of people that is does not have that much reputation or demand if compared with foreign.
  • saimriyaz
    saimriyaz
    Ya ............they are equal to nothing
    There is no point of doing M Tech here.........................
  • N.Gowtham Raj
    N.Gowtham Raj
    What about doing MS in IITs??
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    N.Gowtham Raj
    You need to write GATE and Clear the Personal Interview by the professors at IIT. And you are supposed to stay in hostel and the fees are nominal. You can try IIT, but have to work hard to get in. ๐Ÿ˜ All the best. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • *pushkar*
    *pushkar*
    N.Gowtham Raj
    Ms from bits is better in india only but still its good to do from abroad..
  • sparsh owlak
    sparsh owlak
    what about doing MS in Cyber Law and Information Security from IIIT-Allahabad.
  • avii
    avii
    saimriyaz
    In india there is no MS course...............Here we have M .Tech only................
    NO.

SheldonCooper
    Some universities do offer MS Course in India.But I heard from most of people that is does not have that much reputation or demand if compared with foreign.
    NO FUD please. MS in IIIT-H, BITS, DA have lots of demand. Just that it is very tough to get into such univs.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Praveen-Kumar
    You need to write GATE and Clear the Personal Interview by the professors at IIT. And you are supposed to stay in hostel and the fees are nominal. You can try IIT, but have to work hard to get in. ๐Ÿ˜ All the best. ๐Ÿ˜€
    I am trying to clear GATE since last 2 years. Failed to secure admission in IIT both time. Trying for IIT time ๐Ÿ˜€
    Issue said - I am trying to clear GATE since last 2 years. Failed to secure admission in IIT both time. Trying for III time ๐Ÿ˜€

My opinion about those who prefer MS over M.Tech in India in general is-

1. Your dad has lot of money to waste.
    2. You do not have aptitude to crack GATE and secure admission admission there.
    3. If you are taking loan you are fooling yourself.
    4. You screwed yourself-
    a. No campus placement.
    b. No admission in even a private engineering college.
    c. You are confused what to do.
    d. To sum up..You are screwed completely.

I want to say -
    Omg! Why?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Praveen-Kumar
    Omg! Why?
    Don't worry. If failure is stepping stone to success then I am 2 steps up ๐Ÿ˜€
    Issue
    Don't worry. If failure is stepping stone to success then I am 2 steps up ๐Ÿ˜€
    You mean going for MS in US is screwing up yourself?
  • avii
    avii
    Issue

4. You screwed yourself-
    a. No campus placement.
    [โ€‹IMG]

What you said here entirely incorrect.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    #-Link-Snipped-# Yep.

#-Link-Snipped-# Why friend?
  • avii
    avii
    on what facts you are telling such things ?

If you are telling about it based on colleges, like Manipal etc then it might apply. But you are generalizing entire MS course in India. MS is more of a research in India & M Tech is programme oriented. Following are the TOP colleges which offer MS / MS by research.

IIITH / B
    BITS
    DA

etc. Some colleges require GATE & some don't need & have their own entrance examination.

IIIT - H has the best CS faculty & it totally beats any IIT in CS [research].

I have spoken with alumni of both IIT & IIIT & found out about it.

1. MS costs 60K / year. Is that costly ?
    2. Kind of yes. But getting into these good colleges is also equally tough as GATE.
    3. No.
    4. Totally wrong.

So you are not at all screwed up ! ๐Ÿ˜€
    avii
    on what facts you are telling such things ?

If you are telling about it based on colleges, like Manipal etc then it might apply. But you are generalizing entire MS course in India. MS is more of a research in India & M Tech is programme oriented. Following are the TOP colleges which offer MS / MS by research.

IIITH / B
    BITS
    DA

etc. Some colleges require GATE & some don't need & have their own entrance examination.

IIIT - H has the best CS faculty & it totally beats any IIT in CS [research].

I have spoken with alumni of both IIT & IIIT & found out about it.

1. MS costs 60K / year. Is that costly ?
    2. Kind of yes. But getting into these good colleges is also equally tough as GATE.
    3. No.
    4. Totally wrong.

So you are not at all screwed up ! ๐Ÿ˜€
    I have seen MS courses in US around 12 Lakhs per course!!! Okay, after that you'll be earning much more and more than your current! Didn't you guys think about that???
  • sparsh owlak
    sparsh owlak
    i again repeat my question....what about MS from IIIT-A, help me out.
    who says there is no apti in MS entrance. I confirmed, paper contains apti questions.
    sparsh owlak
    i again repeat my question....what about MS from IIIT-A, help me out.
    who says there is no apti in MS entrance. I confirmed, paper contains apti questions.
    MS from IIT-A???
  • avii
    avii
    ^it's IIIT-A. @#-Link-Snipped-# - it's a really good college, central univ. If you are interested in IT security you can go with it.
  • avii
    avii
    Praveen-Kumar
    I have seen MS courses in US around 12 Lakhs per course!!! Okay, after that you'll be earning much more and more than your current! Didn't you guys think about that???
    MS courses in US does cost that much. Thing 12 lakhs in minimum I guess. My friend is about to join & minimum he could find was also around 15-16 lakhs / MS course / 2 years. The expense is very much. And his total budget is 25 lakhs.

Most of the good university's course fee cost around 40 lakhs to 60 lakhs.

But once they complete, they earn 50-60 lakhs / year. 1.5 - 2 years enough to pay all loans. Do note that 60 lakhs sound very much, but in US it is not. Considering the living expenses there it's correct. But work experience / environment in US is really good from what I hear others. There is no cheap labour, no extra hours work, no need to rush everyday & finish project to impress clients & most of all, they care people who are loyal to organisation, not like here in India ๐Ÿ˜ก
  • sparsh owlak
    sparsh owlak
    @avii- What about Placement and salary. i heard its AIEEE top 10 colleges for B.tech.
  • avii
    avii
    #-Link-Snipped-# - my post is appearing multiple times, please delete them.

@sparsh - Yes, it is indeed one of top college. You can check placement / salary etc from their official site - IIIT-Allahabad seems down currently. I will try to dig more.
  • avii
    avii
    few more links :

Placement Cell - IIITA

#-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • sparsh owlak
    sparsh owlak
    @avii- thanx for help
    Awesome! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • *pushkar*
    *pushkar*
    Guys which is the difference between MS & Mtech? Both seems to be same :-/
    *pushkar*
    Guys which is the difference between MS & Mtech? Both seems to be same :-/
    M Tech is Technical based.
    MS is Science based.
  • Vishwanath J
    Vishwanath J
    Dear Friends, Dont fall into Illusions. I like to suggest, if u know answer just suggest els if u have heard, say u have heard, Els pls dont misguide.

K. Checkout This. In India
    Manipal University is one of Major and Good University providing MS degree in Various branches.

Then Dear friend the MS and M.Tech names are different, but the course and topics u study are nearby 90% same as i heard.

Then one thing all must know is: MS in manipal not recognised by UGC but recognised by foriegn country and degree is good and my friends have done MS from Manipal and working in Philips and many companies.
    If u want to get into govt. job using MS Degree from manipal, it wont be usefull as its not recognised.

But M.Tech in Manipal is recognised and very competition to get seat there...
  • Ashish Bardhan
    Ashish Bardhan
    Issue
    I am trying to clear GATE since last 2 years. Failed to secure admission in IIT both time. Trying for III time ๐Ÿ˜€

4. You screwed yourself-
    a. No campus placement.
    Nice views !!
  • Ashish Bardhan
    Ashish Bardhan
    Issue
    I am trying to clear GATE since last 2 years. Failed to secure admission in IIT both time. Trying for III time ๐Ÿ˜€

4. You screwed yourself-
    a. No campus placement.
    Nice views !!
  • modipriteshm
    modipriteshm
    To know all about MS in india visit #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe

- Nope. People from the poorest of financial backgrounds secure fully funded admissions to many foreign universities. Even if they dont, they take loans- a loan for quality education is more like a post dated cheque to oneself, it does pay off, handsomely.

- Nope, if you think GATE is the hardest thing to crack in the world, think again. That being said, no competitive exam in this world can assess your competence.

- Umm, care to explain?

4. You screwed yourself-
    a. No campus placement. Not the end of the world
    b. No admission in even a private engineering college. May be you are not looking to get admitted to a private college, there is a difference in the quality of education, see?
    c. You are confused what to do. I would say a person who goes through the whole process of selecting and applying for foreign universities, deciding to stay away from friends and family for a long time, immerse oneself in a foreign culture and challenge oneself to the highest levels of academic quality and difficulties, has more clarity than a person who never gets out of his/her comfort zone.

d. To sum up..You are screwed completely. - Gross generalization, I dont know how one can claim to be technical with such sweeping generalizations.

I want to say -
    Omg! Why?[/QUOTE]

Because-

1) There is a pronounced difference between the levels of
    a. Research
    b. Teaching
    c. Individual thinking freedom
    d. Resources available to a student

amongst a well known western University and our Indian Universities. We have all gone through the same undergrad education, we never get to realize how students educate themselves in the western world. To us, education continues to be an intermediate stepping stone to a high-paying job- something that needs to be ticked off of one's checklist before "real" life begins. WRONG. Education can be an enjoyable journey in itself. Have you ever thought that your Masters degree should just keep on going? Well I did, just because it was such an immense pleasure learning and researching, applying my mind to the problems that matter and being encouraged by professors to do so. Teaching is an art they say, but then so is learning. And when you learn to learn, that is when education becomes meaningful. Otherwise a degree is just a piece of paper lying in your file somewhere.

P.S: I do not intend to make the Indian education system look bad, its just that I found this post to be a gross generalization, and completely inaccurate. I suppose the story needed retelling from someone who has had experienced both sides of the bargain.
  • adarshscan
    adarshscan
    u should be know about iisc Bangalore..
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Shashank Moghe
    To us, education continues to be an intermediate stepping stone to a high-paying job- something that needs to be ticked off of one's checklist before "real" life begins. WRONG. Education can be an enjoyable journey in itself. Have you ever thought that your Masters degree should just keep on going? Well I did, just because it was such an immense pleasure learning and researching, applying my mind to the problems that matter and being encouraged by professors to do so.
    Well said. MS is not just certification, it's higher education.
    #-Link-Snipped-# This is contradictory. Seriously, when I posted this on Mar 25, 2012, who knows there will be a lot of things happening around me?
    Praveen-Kumar
    Issue said - I am trying to clear GATE since last 2 years. Failed to secure admission in IIT both time. Trying for III time ๐Ÿ˜€

4. You screwed yourself-
    a. No campus placement.

I want to say -
    Omg! Why?
    Now I just completed my Masters in Cloud Computing with Industry, securing a Distinction after 3 years I posted that. I myself disagree with what I have written above, but didn't you note that I was making fun of #-Link-Snipped-# there? Grrr... CEans should have more attention to detail dude.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    1. Elucidate what is contradictory.
    2. Let us all know what mechanism of language did you use in your answer that should provide a hint that ypu were being sarcastic. Let us know what "detail" I missed that you made explicit in your answer.

CEans are engineers, not clairvoyants.
    Shashank Moghe
    1. Elucidate what is contradictory.
    What I said that day and what I am now.
    2. Let us all know what mechanism of language did you use in your answer that should provide a hint that ypu were being sarcastic. Let us know what "detail" I missed that you made explicit in your answer.
    It was an attempt to mock #-Link-Snipped-#...
    CEans are engineers, not clairvoyants.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Well if it was an attempt at being sarcastic, one must be clear in mentioning it is so. Your answer provides absolutely no hints to that end. Hence I assumed you were serious in your post. Regardless, I would have no interest in mocking a genuine answer.
    Shashank Moghe
    Well if it was an attempt at being sarcastic, one must be clear in mentioning it is so. Your answer provides absolutely no hints to that end. Hence I assumed you were serious in your post. Regardless, I would have no interest in mocking a genuine answer.
    Ah... At least now you understood. Thanks! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Praveen-Kumar
    Ah... At least now you understood. Thanks! ๐Ÿ˜€
    I understood what you meant when you said it. If you want to avoid such misunderstandings, be explicit (or discreet), but do always drop a hint.
    Shashank Moghe
    I understood what you meant when you said it. If you want to avoid such misunderstandings, be explicit (or discreet), but do always drop a hint.
    Yup, the mistake is mine. But digging an age old thread is like... LoL.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Praveen-Kumar
    Yup, the mistake is mine. But digging an age old thread is like... LoL.
    The post is old, true. It was activated on my feed by #-Link-Snipped-#

Most importantly, if you radically changed your views on such a serious matter of guidance, you should come back to it and edit. That might actually help others.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# You both are two of the finest members of CrazyEngineers. Let's not get into splashing sarcasm. Peace! ๐Ÿ˜€

Coming back to this query at hand. We've been flooded with people who are genuinely interested in exploring options for pursuing M.S. in India.

Here's an average scenario -
    You are a B.Tech graduate from a private or regional engineering college in India. You have interest in your core domain (Be it CS, IT, Mechanical, Civil, Electronics or Electrical). You want to go for higher studies, but don't have funds of the range Rs. 45-60 Lakhs readily available. You definitely have the option to get a student loan.
    If you get a really good score in GRE-TOEFL and can get admission in one of the top 50 colleges or universities in the U.S. is it a wise option to take? (Considering that your parents or immediate keen can not help you in repaying the loan?

As against that - you have an option to spend around ~ Rs. 5-6 Lakhs (Max) and get admission in any of the top institutes in India that offers specialization in the course you like.

Considering the job prospects in both areas, what do you think is a calculated risk and what is the option you'd choose?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    MS in India is not a much explored option, in my opinion. There are colleges like BITS Pilani, IIIT Hyderabad, IIT Delhi, IIT Madras, IIT-KGP and IIIT - Allahabad which offer MS courses in India. Any person willing to opt for this course can explore these colleges through their official websites.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# You both are two of the finest members of CrazyEngineers. Let's not get into splashing sarcasm. Peace! ๐Ÿ˜€

Coming back to this query at hand. We've been flooded with people who are genuinely interested in exploring options for pursuing M.S. in India.

Here's an average scenario -
    You are a B.Tech graduate from a private or regional engineering college in India. You have interest in your core domain (Be it CS, IT, Mechanical, Civil, Electronics or Electrical). You want to go for higher studies, but don't have funds of the range Rs. 45-60 Lakhs readily available. You definitely have the option to get a student loan.
    If you get a really good score in GRE-TOEFL and can get admission in one of the top 50 colleges or universities in the U.S. is it a wise option to take? (Considering that your parents or immediate keen can not help you in repaying the loan?

As against that - you have an option to spend around ~ Rs. 5-6 Lakhs (Max) and get admission in any of the top institutes in India that offers specialization in the course you like.

Considering the job prospects in both areas, what do you think is a calculated risk and what is the option you'd choose?
    Well I have the utmost respect for #-Link-Snipped-#, I just misunderstood his post. My bad.
  • T N S SAI SRINIVAS
    T N S SAI SRINIVAS
    Very well said brother ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

My question i would like to bring up is, how has Dark Matter been proven to be a mass? As of right now we cannot detect it because it doesn't...
Friends, I am using MS word 2007 version. Whenever we type some word and if it is not available with dictionary, we can always say "Add to dictionary" Isn't it?...
can u suggest any project ideas in mechanical field
why mild steel have higher cooling rate than cast iron after melting.
A who was born in country B, established the calendar C, which is many years ahead of the calendar D (also known as E), introduced by F. C is the...