Is it possible to transmit a signal through space (air) in a form other than electromagnetic waves?

Hello everyone,
I would like to know if it is possible to transmit a signal through air without having to use electromagnetic waves.
And why are electromagnetic waves so commonly used?

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Using Light Signal you can transmit Signal through air like LASER Light. But as in Day light this technique is not reliable. while Electromagnatic Signals has less interference of Day Lights.
  • yahia zakaria
    yahia zakaria
    you can use acoustic waves , by the way laser or light is electromagnetic waves
    thanks
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    I think we can use sound waves but it is only for shorter distences and for longer distences we use electromagnetic waves because they are relieble and loses are less compared to other types..
    and for secrets you can use ultra sound wave signals
  • rukawa
    rukawa
    Thank you all for your answers so far. Actually I have another question: what are the environments in which it's possible to transmit signals via electromagnetic waves? (water, air, fluids...)
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    Any medium is almost same except some medium resistence as per my knowledge every medium supports any signal except vaccum so in vaccum we need electromagnetic signals
  • yahia zakaria
    yahia zakaria
    for electromagnetic waves any medium could be good except conductors ,as the conductors allow a very small distance for electromagnetic waves propagation (i.e salt water that's why they use acoustic waves in submarines ).
  • soni.sapan
    soni.sapan
    We can transmitt electromagnetic waves(light waves, infrared etc) in any medium. they have always velocity approx to "C" in all mediums. On other side we cant transmitt acoustic wawe in space. For the travelling of acoustic wawe there must be a medium.They are not used genereally because of their low range & the biggest disadvantage is that they have lower speed approx 300m/s which is very slow for communication
  • robo_warrior
    robo_warrior
    physics 101:mechanical waves(sound)
    :electromagnetic(LASER,radio waves)
    :matter waves(much less used)
  • crashtestpilot
    crashtestpilot
    It's a little abstract but there is something called quantum entanglement. It is an interesting concept but beyond my ability to give a clear and concise definition.

I apologize for posting a wikipedia link as a reference but it should point you towards more reliable references. Quantum Entanglement

You can also Google, "Schrodinger's cat", "wave particle duality" and "double slit experiment." These lay some of the groundwork for the concept of a quantum particle.
  • rukawa
    rukawa
    Thank you all for your answers 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Mark Z announced today that you can now add that you’re an organ donor to your timeline, and share this your story about when, where or why you decided to...
After watching the Sherlock series on BBC; I searched a bit for the science of deduction and whether there are anyone existing theories that let you do the effective deduction....
The Verge's Paul Miller has vowed to leave the Internet for one full year and if things go right; forever! Miller pulled the plug on May 01, 2012 and won't...
Gmail today has announced an important feature: automatic email message translation. Google Translate product manager Jeff Chin announced the availability of the service through official blog post on Google blog....
Pinterest's growing popularity is attracting it lots of new and old friends. In a recent move, the Flickr service has announced tighter integration with the world's favorite photo wall: Pinterest....