Is it possible to store some data permanently in RAM?

i know that ram is a volatile memory ...but is it possible to store some data permanently in ram memory....????
i mean is it possible to use ram memory as a hard disk memory...???
correct me if i m wrong...😁

Replies

• gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    Re: expt on ram memory

Solid state drives (SSD) use memory similar to RAM to store data. Solid State drives are hard disks.

Check out wikipedia for more info.
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    Re: expt on ram memory

gaurav.bhorkar
    Solid state drives (SSD) use memory similar to RAM to store data. Solid State drives are hard disks.

Check out wikipedia for more info.
    ya gaurav you are right but my question is ,
    is it possible to use ram as a hard disk (secondary storage device ) or not ..??
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Just keep supplying power to it πŸ˜›

Well, in the future we'll have non-volatile RAM, such as MRAMS, FeRAMs, etc. Possible to use as storage, but it'll be relatively expensive byte for byte (compared to HDD or SSD).
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    one question mohit

why do you want Non volatile Ram?what do you think what can be benefits of having non volatile ram?
  • Luchi
    Luchi
    hi from this post i came to know about many thinks. I have no idea about Ferroelectric RAM and MRAMs. Waiting for the mass use of such RAM.
  • shruti palod
    shruti palod
    Hi Mohit.
    I don't think that we can write permanently on RAM.
    But I have found something in contradiction to my concept.
    Please check this out
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    goyal420
    one question mohit

why do you want Non volatile Ram?what do you think what can be benefits of having non volatile ram?
    hi goyal i just want to know is it possible to use dynamic memory as static memory or not .....if yes then how ....??πŸ˜•
  • thechamp
    thechamp
    @goyal
    if a non-volatile RAM can store data permanantly, dont you think we will not need to load some essential applications (like OS) again and again each time computer is turned on...
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    @thechamp I think for that case we have ROM which we can use just if you don't want to load initial data again and again
    correct me if i am wrong
  • thechamp
    thechamp
    @ goyal
    no no, i meant somethning else. whenever we turn system on, OS is loaded each time. its the first application that is loaded in RAM, so if we have a non volatile RAM, OS would not be loaded each time system is on. this will reduce booting time.
    secondly as far as i know, ROM is permanant but it cant be changed by general programmer (except erasable ones). ROMs have data stored by their manufacturer for example the name of company(Dell, HP, HCL, Compaq etc) that we all see when computer is turned on is stored in ROM by manufacturer itself..
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Yeah, I'm also thinking along the lines of what thechamp says. Caching essential system processes in the RAM would ease up on the booting process.

In addition, having non-volatile RAM can help preserve data the memory in the event of a system crash or power outage πŸ˜€
  • gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    If non volatile RAM becomes reality, then we will never have to hibernate our systems. Just power on the computer and you are started right away.

As of the current technology, ROMs are much slower than RAMs. I guess, non-volatile RAMs will be slower than the current RAMs.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    just imagine your self without sleep for 2-3 days . How will u feel ? still fresh ?
    That is what will happen if we have non-volatile rams like the ones been spoken about here.

Solid state is a technology of volatile and non volatile types(correct me if I am wrong), namely RAM(our dynamic rams) and Flash Drives(flash/pen drives and SSDs of today). Both have their own advantages and disadvantages and are made for specific applications. And I dont see any reason to create a product 'between' these two.

On the main question, whether we can have store data permanently in ram.... it seems that if u try and create something like that, then you will lose the IOPS(input output per second) performance of a ram. That is you will have to sacrifice this aspect to get a permanent storage.

That was exactly what engineers were doing in early days of SSDs..Earlier, engineers wanted to achieve permanent storage on rams while trying to maintain IOPS performance. When we finally got the ram(as in technology) based SSDs it was the product that this threads asker wants but they saw that there was a performance and reliability dip. Later they shifted to flash based technology and those SSDs are what we have now in market. They are better and more reliable.
  • thechamp
    thechamp
    @optimystix
    making RAM a hard disk and making it parmanent storage device is different. i mean storing OS in RAM permanant is good, rest of the RAM would be empty. and in case of system crash taking the advantage of this non volatile RAM is useful too.
    for sure it will come at some cost as you mentioned..
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    thechamp
    @optimystix
    making RAM a hard disk and making it parmanent storage device is different. i mean storing OS in RAM permanant is good, rest of the RAM would be empty. and in case of system crash taking the advantage of this non volatile RAM is useful too.
    for sure it will come at some cost as you mentioned..
    ya thechamp i hope you are right,
    have you some idea how to do this ....????????
  • thechamp
    thechamp
    no buddy, i am not that much into hardware. so i cant tell about its initial approach. if someone recommends here how to proceede, maybe i can go further
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    thechamp
    @optimystix
    making RAM a hard disk and making it parmanent storage device is different.....
    I didnt get u on this part. It looks like the same thing to me unless of course am being an idiot hereπŸ˜”

and about the thing u mentioned later, if u were to have ,say 4 gb of ram, out of which 1 gb was allotted to OS installation n storage as u say, thus leaving 3 gb free.

In this case, we have what we call as RAM based SSD and the system will be very unreliable and more prone to crash. So the advantage of not losing data is effectively countered by these crashes. Cos if u keep crashing frequently, then wont it be irritating?... also if u started storing stuff permanently on memory then it will lead to memory leaks and thats another great disadvantage.. IF u used a set of volatile rams(for computational needs) with a set of non volatile ones(to store the OS) then such an configuration would pose high incompatibility issues. Those are the reasons why engineers shifted towards flash based SSDs.

As of now I dont think there is any formal way to do what ur asking. U can ofcourse install and run an OS on the RAM(many versions of Linux do this when runnin their live versions) and use it without even knowing but the data will be lost as soon as u shutdown the pc unless u save it on a storage device.

Waiting for response regarding these. Kindly correct me if I am wrong. :smile:

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi friends can someone tell me the tools which are used for data preprocessing?i surfed through net but i didnt get much information about that.Tomorrow i have to submit the...
1.hi friends i want to know is there any compiler exit that convert one computer lang to another computer lang ....???? . 2.is it possible to convert any lang to...
Can someone here (preferably from mechanical engineering background) tell me why we can not use cast iron for die-casting?
Open Office 3.2 is available for download: download: OpenOffice.org Downloads Get your version right away!
can anyone tell me how to edit or creat new .wim file & what is .wim file??πŸ˜’