Is it possible to install games with Crossover & run it in Wine ?

I have been using frontend Play-on-linux with backend Wine for so long & most of the games that I love, works without any glitch, or some minor glitch; which can be fixed with little tweaks.(Darn! that's rhyme)

However, sometimes installation is pain in bum! I came across crossover (came across crossover?) when it was released (sadly i missed free copies! ah! FML)

Never used Crossover, but after sooo many good reviews I am thinking of using it.But problem is that it has only 14-days of trial period. Now! that sucks !
Crossover works similar to wine, infact they uses same method, we can say crossover is derivative of Wine though.Only good thing about crossover is that software configures the settings on it own & you don't have to worry about dependency programs & files.

So, my question is : Can I install some games during trial period of Crossover & when trial period get's over, will I be able to run that game from Wine ?

I hope I get answer here 😀

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think #-Link-Snipped-# would be able to help. 😨 He's into games, he's into linux.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Hey Abhishek! I rely on the latest version of Wine + Ubuntu for my linux gaming. Now that even Steam is here, most of my favourite games are available on Linux!
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    I tried Crossover but realized that they are based on WINE, so then did some search and found that the latest Wine is good enough.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    kidakaka
    I tried Crossover but realized that they are based on WINE, so then did some search and found that the latest Wine is good enough.
    Have you tried Wine Bottler? It packages Windows software into OSX apps.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    #-Link-Snipped-# I am using Wine 1.5.30 + Lubuntu for gaming, & by far all games that i intended to play has worked.
    Thanks for the reply, though 😀
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    -Bump-

I am having a small glitch while running World Of Warcraft.
    The graphics of characters of other players are totally "black" while my character is perfect looking with graphics.

Here's some some screenshots :
    Screenshot from 2013-06-21 13:35:10 Screenshot from 2013-06-21 13:36:14

I don't think there's problem within my PC, I guess I am missing some directx file or anyother from WoW client side which need to be tweaked.

I tried in OpenGL mode, but WoW crashes everytime so I have to run it with directx mode only.

What could be the reason ?
    Tagging : #-Link-Snipped-#

If anyother CEan can help me out then I will be glad.
    Thank you.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Samsung's getting the 5G game ready by 2020. Sammy's electronics & telecommunication engineers have already succeeded in downloading stuff at 1Gbps speeds in recent tests. According to Yonhap News, engineers...
Dear Friends, how we can determine the shear stresses generated within the workpiece due to cutting process applied on it .......... ????
Notion Ink's official website may show 'Busy Creating. Back Soon', but the Adam II specifications got leaked at the National Technology Day Awards 2013. The price of the tablet is...
​Rolls Royce PLC has announced that they'll back the ambitious 1000 mph Bloodhound Super Sonic Car (SSC) project. The Bloodhound SSC will be powered by the Rolls Royce EJ200 jet...
The topic for CE Weekend Debate/Discussion #3 was quite interesting - Are engineers destroying our planet or building a better one? The points raised during the debate were interesting. We...