Is it okay to swtich jobs just for the heck of more money?

I'm sure this subject is closer to hearts of millions of software engineers out there 😀

You've seen them before - they switch jobs every year for the heck of more money. Is it okay to do that? Or is it not? Why?

Shout!

Replies

• Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    I feel its almost sad that people switch jobs only for increasing their respective CTCs. If they do switch jobs after ACTUALLY adding value to their skillsets, then its fine, but without doing so ... is criminal. You are simply increasing your cost without adding any value. The company that lost you is then a lucky firm. Well, if they were not paying you enough, then serves them right any ways!!!
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Well it depends on the firm ur working with,value addition to skill-set is always welcomed,and i think a person shud switch job after 2-3yrs time,in both ways he will be fruitfull..
  • Itanium
    Itanium
    i would accept sauravgoswami
  • Sunil Singh
    Sunil Singh
    Switching jobs just for the sake of more money is not right, as this act does not portray professionalism towards ones job. Moreover it spoils ones CV ,as if a person has switched 2 to 3 jobs within 2 or 3 yrs and sitting for an interview for the 4th job the interviewer will get a clear indication that the candidate is not loyal towards the job or maybe not able to tackle the situations or in extreme case he/she is a maniac or insanely dumb. Hence, the interviewer will never consider the candidate for a good position in his firm how much ever perfect credentials he/she possesses.
  • akakash
    akakash
    according to me i need job satisfaction,any one in the world can live the life with less money if he has satisfaction dont switch the jobs for money but switch the job to prove your excellence in that field it will give u a lot of happiness
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Sunil Singh
    Switching jobs just for the sake of more money is not right, as this act does not portray professionalism towards ones job. Moreover it spoils ones CV ,as if a person has switched 2 to 3 jobs within 2 or 3 yrs and sitting for an interview for the 4th job the interviewer will get a clear indication that the candidate is not loyal towards the job or maybe not able to tackle the situations or in extreme case he/she is a maniac or insanely dumb. Hence, the interviewer will never consider the candidate for a good position in his firm how much ever perfect credentials he/she possesses.
    I beg to differ here sir. I don't see it as a spoil or disloyalty. Actually, why there's a question of loyalty in the first place? Why should I be loyal to a company?
    We're all doing a business here. We sell our skills and we get compensated. I get a better compensation for my skills, I'd very well take it. Wouldn't you? No question of loyalty. No one's doing any favor to anyone.

As far as spoiling the CV is concerned, I doubt that. I go to a job, I dislike it for some reason I move on. There could be many reasons like work/life balance, work environment, bosses, team, even insufficient compensation and what not. Sometimes you get to compromise on somethings because you've no choice. The employer won't leave the opportunity if he's getting a skill for cheap. That's not gonna be permanent, isn't it? Sooner or later, you'll get a better one. May be a in a month, may be in an year. Moreover there are somethings which you cannot know in advance. Its like ordering a shoe online. You select a size and hope it'll fit. If it does, you're good. If it does not, you'll return it. You'll do that until you get what you're looking for. Should be a reasonable explanation in an interview.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    [Prototype]
    As far as spoiling the CV is concerned, I doubt that. I go to a job, I dislike it for some reason I move on. There could be many reasons like work/life balance, work environment, bosses, team, even insufficient compensation and what not. Sometimes you get to compromise on somethings because you've no choice.
    There's something every job hopper should know - and that is multiple job hops do look bad! No matter how genuine is your reason; it works against the employee seeking a new job.

I've experienced this first hand, as a recruiter. I was conducting interviews for the company I worked for and any candidate who jumped jobs in a short span of time would be in the red zone for the HR managers. Even while recruiting for CrazyEngineers, I've seen that those who hop don't have a solid reason to justify.

I believe we've an interesting discussion that's relevant: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Kaustubh Katdare
    There's something every job hopper should know - and that is multiple job hops do look bad! No matter how genuine is your reason; it works against the employee seeking a new job.

I've experienced this first hand, as a recruiter. I was conducting interviews for the company I worked for and any candidate who jumped jobs in a short span of time would be in the red zone for the HR managers. Even while recruiting for CrazyEngineers, I've seen that those who hop don't have a solid reason to justify.

I believe we've an interesting discussion that's relevant: #-Link-Snipped-#
    Definitely it is a red flag for employers but not a justified one. There's other side to the coin. Why should somebody be jumping? There has to be a reason. May be such a person, if staying in your organization may be a mark that you've been doing really good with the employee satisfaction part. Of course, if someone is just switching to evade the work then its a different story. But if someone gives appropriate reasons, I guess it should be respected rather than terming the guy as a chain hopper. And I believe compensation is a valid reason. Everyone's different. Not everyone wants to earn their moolah in job satisfaction. Different people, different priorities. Their work might be just a source of income to them, nothing else. And I don't see any reason why it is wrong.
  • Shweta Chauhan
    Shweta Chauhan
    If company can treat their employees as mere resources, then employees should also not connect with company emotionally, for me its okay to switch jobs for more money providing job satisfaction as well.
  • Akhil C Joy
    Akhil C Joy
    Hi all,

I think switching the jobs based on the money depend on the mindset of the employee. First of all, we should think
    • for what I am working?
    • What is purpose? What is motive?
    • What is success for me?
    • Whether its my line or my route?
    Once you got the answer you can decide your answer. Specifically for money you can change the jobs. If you are working for job security and social security you will stay in your comfort zone. So they hold the job.

Some people quit because of their boss. I want to share a quote right now.
    " Don't pick a job. Pick a Boss. your first boss is the biggest factor in your carreer success. A boss who doesn't trust you won't give you opportunities to grow"
    :- William Raduchel

PS: Life is not for paying the bills. It has some meaning. Explore yourself.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I'm in my 4th job over my relative short 5 year career span. Its mostly due to trying out different scopes and technologies. Whatever it is, I try to plan my career to match my development goals. If my existing company can cater to it then I stay, if not its just natural to move on. The money factor comes in when moving, if the salary from new opportunities scale up accordingly.

When it comes to bosses, you will get some good ones, you will get some bad ones. Organization structures also change over time. Sometimes you can get great direct supervisors but bad top management, and vice versa. If you can maintain a professional relationship with the higher ups, then it should be tolerable.

Its the same like facing clients, in the end you need to deal with them to get the job done. What is important is that each day of work, you are gaining valuable experience. Motivation at work should primarily come from internal factors first. If you are at development plateau, then its time to move on.
  • Charan V
    Charan V
    It depends on the value the employee creates for the company and the value the new job provides to the employee's career. Company should assess the first part based on the demand for the job, skills and training needed and available applications. Employee should assess the second part to streamline his career. As one attains seniority his past matters a lot

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

HI everybody i am facing lot of trouble in analyzing electronic circuits can any one suggest any website for basic electronics which can deal lot of transistor circuits.
could some1 plz tell me r there any other options in GPS other than navigation systems or tracking systems. i need to do my final year project.
Someone pointed me to this popular 'game' on other forums. So, let's try it out here. So, the next person to post in this thread is going to give me...
My favorite : I'll be back 😎 from the Terminator!
This thread is dedicated to all those engineers who've survived at least one yearly appraisal! 😁 Share the pain, joy, frustrations with the rest of us. Tell us about your...