Is it okay to disclose your salary to your colleagues?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I know, you'll say this is a purely personal choice! But think about it!

When I worked for a software company, we were told not to disclose our salary to anyone we worked with. Only managers & HRs would know how much we made annually. The reasons were obvious. If I earned more than my colleague who did the same work as I did; (s)he'd be upset.

However, no matter how many times all the employees were asked not to disclose their salaries, almost everyone knew how much money everyone made 😲.

What do you think? Is it okay to disclose your salary to your colleagues?

Replies

• shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Well I never mind in disclosing my salary to anyone but in return I want to know their salaries also. 😁

I don't understand why few people mind in telling their salaries 😕 to others. Views of other people about it hardly affects them right?
  • gohm
    gohm
    I think it also depends on your position. Employees in entry level positions tend to disclose their salaries more willingly with coworkers more frequently than upper level positions I think.

I think it is best not to as it sure can cause conflict within the organization and between employees. Although I admit the information would be benefitial when negotiating salary(from review or advancement) to ensure you receive a fair offer; it ultimately is the employee's responsability to accept an offer that is fair and agreeable to them to fullfill the position, not a salary that is "in-line" with any chart. You cannot go back later because you heard someone else has a different salary for a similar postion, you agreed & accepted that amount and were happy. One will learn by this to be better prepared in the future. If you are not satisfied with the offer, negotiate a counter offer or move on.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Better follow the organizational policies but disclosing doesn't matter much as far as i am concerned.😎
  • suyash
    suyash
    Yes, I totally agree with what Gohm has posted...

As was the case with me too... when I joined for my first job last year, all the freshers like me were more open with each other regarding the salary discussions, however th guys with experience and all just replied with - "yeah, we get enough to feed ourselves" and then sport that grin as if they have cracked an awesome joke or what !!

anyways, even I believe that discussing salary has been prohibited due to the appraisals and all which leads to variable pay etc...
    I believe it's a personal choice as well...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans, I'm sure we have engineers who gave up on high salary jobs to work for startups. Let us collect your experiences of working for a startup. If you ever...
suggest some major project for electronics n communication.... help me out plz...
How do we differentiate and distinguish between the statements ie actions to be performed in BEGIN and END blocks in LINUX? is it that the BEGIN block picks up the...
hii.i m from electronics and communication branch final year..plz suggest me some relevant projects....and from where i can get d idea abt it.....
Could u suggest me some good mini project topic's for me