Is it ok to ask guest visitors to register before they can view the website content?

I've come across many websites that do not let you view the content or use the services unless you register. The registration, most of the times, is free.

What do you think?

Replies

• Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Re: Is it ok to ask guest visitors to register before they can view the website conte

Instead of making registration compulsory, I think you should control certain sections of the forum. For example the CE Labs can be restricted to members only, but not the announcements section.

Another alternative can be to give them free access for a while, and then ask them to register if they want to continue on the forum. This can be done by monitoring their ip/mac addresses.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Re: Is it ok to ask guest visitors to register before they can view the website conte

Oh, let me clarify. This discussion is not limited to CE ๐Ÿ˜€ . We are pretty much an open forum ๐Ÿ˜‰

Also, restricting access is very simple!
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi

Oh ok.

I think if registration is free, then there is no need to make it compulsory. There are many tools available online which let you register using fake/temporary email addresses. So if a user just wants some information, he can use any of these services and view whatever he wants to.

All compulsory registration does is increase the user count. This does not mean the guest will come back just because he has registered on a forum. What makes the guest come back is the content and how that forum is maintained (with regard to spam, etc)
  • gohm
    gohm

I like being able to view but not post unless you register best. I would want to explore and view the forum a bit first to see if I want to become a member by joining.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Right now, I have restricted access to our Project Ideas & Seminar topics. Guests can view the title but not the post content. Let's see how it works.

Other sections/forums are open to all ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

the story is too good... story starts with jamal(hero) being questioned by police for cheating in 'Who wants to be a millionaire'( indian version='kaun banega karordpati'), a slum boy who...
Hi, There are lots of filters like Gabor, GLCM filters to extract features for the image. What is the difference between these filters and what are the other filters that...
I played the online quiz here - How Web 2 are you? | Quizible and scored 20/33. Can anyone list out all the correct answers? ๐Ÿ˜
Recently, I met a guy (final year engineering student and a wannabe entrepreneur) who was searching for a co-founder to get started with his idea. I asked why he thought...
The recession has put a freeze on hiring at many companies. The 2008 and 2009 batches have been hit. I've heard that two leading colleges in India [Government & Private]...