Is it important to leave your mark behind? If yes or no, why?

So I see that a lot of people are concerned about what kind of mark they are leaving behind. Be it in their own homes (what the spouse/kids/parents think), offices (in the minds of their colleagues), society (as a status symbol), world (as they die) et al. A lot of people are worried about leaving a lasting impression on the minds of their keen and even the people who are acquaintances.
Then there are a completely different class of people who don't care what mark they are leaving behind. They care the least about what the repercussions of their acts are.

What do you guys think? Do you care about the kind of mark you leave behind? Does leaving an impression matter?

Replies

• Rupam Das
    Rupam Das
    Billions of people born and died in India. You talk about only a few like Subhas, Gandhi, Vivekananda. That is because no one bothers to remember who you were once you are no more ( in most cases even when you exist) world cherishes your work and remember you through that work. The only way you are remembered is to leave your mark behind.

For me at least, it's one of the most essential "thing"
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Interesting discussion. It's about choice.

1. There are people who just exist to convert oxygen to carbon dioxide. Their contribution to the world is mostly accidental. Majority of people fall in this category because it doesn't require any special efforts.

2. There are people who will work hard to determine the course of their life and make positive or negative contribution to the world. The ones who make positive ones are remembered, honoured, loved et al. The others land up in jail or are forgotten just like the guys from point number 1.

Coming back to the question asked in the title: My take is : "No". It's not important. It's personal choice which is always right.
  • Rupam Das
    Rupam Das
    Kaustubh Katdare
    There are people who just exist to convert oxygen to carbon dioxide
    ROFLMAO!
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I do not know if I am a biological accident or an eternal soul that was reborn for some past Karma. One thing that is sure is that I was not born by my (whoever that 'I' is) choice. In that sense there is no obligation whatsoever on me to do anything or contribute to the betterment of the world or society.
    One can say with OmarKhayyam,"Ah, fill the Cup: --what boots it to repeat / How Time is slipping underneath our Feet."
    All I want to do is to perform actions enjoined on me for my station in life and like the Arabs of Longfellow, fold my tent and silently steal away, unhonored, unsung and forgotten and merge into the Great Unknown leaving not a ripple behind.
    A.V.Ramani came into existence here in 1939 and will end here when his time comes. To what purpose should he leave any foot prints on the sands of time?
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    This is interesting discussion and if you are worried about what mark you want to leave, you will have nothing at the end.

Dont think of leaving a mark when you die, i mean dont think of leaving a mark behind.

I want to always do things which i love the most, enjoy every thing i do. and i am sure if i really do what i want to do with 100% commitment and passionately the mark will be there without me even thinking about it.

Look at scientists - they never wanted to leave a mark behind for pride (except few - like edison ๐Ÿ˜” ) they get it automatically.

So leaving a mark always means - doing what you want to do 100% . Then you will leave something anyway.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    And one more thing is - leaving some mark or something is not being done only after you die. Take CE (CE means people here) what others learn from it.

Dont you think CE already left a mark or a lasting impression atleast for few people (like me), i dont know what are the intentions of CE establishment. But it will be remembered until i die atleast for me. And even more for others. So my point is the so called mark should be formed automatically we should not plan for it.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Interesting points by all. Thanks for replying. It just goes to say that some do really work hard and leave a mark behind in the process.
    It's all about people 'who give a damn' that a lasting impression is left.

I read this on a blog and found it quite apt -

The legacy of passing down the imprint of our existence to those who follow us serves a purpose; it helps us remember that we are connected to one another which, in kind, tends to alter how we treat one another. At the end of the day, whether you are remembered 30 years or 3,000 years from now is not all that important. What's important is that when you leave this planet you know the mark you have left on the soul of humankind bears the imprint of one who cared about the past, present, and future of this family of the earth. You really do matter.
    What do you guys think? Looking forward to more opinions.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    So leaving a mark always means - doing what you want to do 100% . Then you will leave something anyway.
    ๐Ÿ‘

Only reason to worry about leaving the mark when you coming back. If you are not, why worry about it. Enjoy and make your existence worth as much you can. โ˜•
  • Smiech
    Smiech
    You never know when you are going to leave a mark.
    There are some people who leave a mark on you after you have met them. Many others will cross your way without you noticing. However, you cross theirs leaving a significant mark.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Would love to read more thoughts on this! ๐Ÿ˜€

Tagging #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    There used to be a time when I wanted my name to be heard. But lately (like 4-5 months) I think that it doesn't really matter. For me leaving the mark is not that important. I just have fist full of goals that I will achieve and bucket full of things that I will experience/feel . But while chasing dreams, if I leave my mark behind, I won't run from it; and even if I don't, I won't care. I just wanna play my part. I am not standing up for 'leave-your-mark-behind' fagtard shit, I am standing up only for my dreams.
  • Koushal Patel
    Koushal Patel
    Thanks #-Link-Snipped-# .
    I say, Yes to the question, "Is it important to leave your mark behind?"
    Suppose I leave my mark behind when I say a final bye-bye to this world, it will definitely be my legacy. Legacy will sing song of my success, my failure, the things I did, the things I did not.

Forget about my success, if someone knows about my failure, at least he/she will not repeat and they can save their efforts and time.

Sometimes, I feel, leaving marks behind stimulates emotions as well. The way a particular recipe an old lady was preparing, is a legacy as well. Whenever, the same recipe is prepared, it brings memories of the old lady cook back to their family! All she did is, she left marks behind, is not it!! ๐Ÿ˜€

Leaving marks behind creates saga for the next gen. It is up to them, they read it not not, or they follow or not. I do not know, I deserve or not, but I would like to be remembered by people in a positive and good way. Forget about the mass, If my story makes someone happy, cherished and gives at least one way to avoid a mistake, I bet, I would be happy in the hell or heaven wherever I may be!

I remember a quote - "Everyone leaves behind a legacy after they die, but only few people leave behind a legacy worth talking about."
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    I personally care what I leave behind. That is the only sign that will be left of my existence. Almost all people are passed on to next generations by value, very few are passed by reference.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Just realized that my thread Creative Crazy ideas For Final Year Projects has reached 500 posts. The thread is active for over three years. Hope to see the thread cross...
why do we have two implementations in java for converting the integer value into string,what is the logic behind?
Which of these lines of code will give better performance? 1. a | 4 + c >> b & 7; 2. (a | ((( 4 + c ) >> b...
Micro-blogging major Twitter now offers its users more control of their uploaded pictures. The Twitter app for Android and iOS have been updated, and the photo filter grid has been...
sir, i am 2014 passed out (fresher) in mechanical branch. my question is as i'm a fresher can i take six sigma certification training ? and how about career in...