Is iPad A Fad Or Necessity?

We never knew we'd need a tiny slate with a magical touch screen on it that'd begin to replace our laptops. However, we all must agree that gadgets are evolving rapidly with faster processors and better graphics.

iPad 2 sets the benchmark for other similar devices and takes us a step ahead into the future. There are many CEans who'd be willing to buy tablets. I wish to know whether engineers think iPad (and tablets) is a necessity or a fad?

Replies

• andyKane
    andyKane
    Fad. Not a necessity (as of now)
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    To be frank, iPad concept is really awesome! But, it is fad as of now, because:
    1. Issues with the iPad 2.
    2. Portability.
    3. Cost.

A Bangalore based firm has devised a similar kind of widget, which runs on GPU and not on CPU. Its way too awesome and would replace iPad soon! ๐Ÿ˜€ Waiting for its public release. ๐Ÿ˜
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @Praveenscience: Are you talking about NotionInk Adam? What do you think about the mobility aspect of the tablets? iPad does a great job of doing most of your laptop job on a tiny slab.
    The_Big_K
    @Praveenscience: Are you talking about NotionInk Adam? What do you think about the mobility aspect of the tablets? iPad does a great job of doing most of your laptop job on a tiny slab.
    Biggie! You are awesome!!! I lost the link and you found it... Yeah, I was saying about this. Am planning to buy this... Is there any problem???
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    praveenscience
    Biggie! You are awesome!!! I lost the link and you found it... Yeah, I was saying about this. Am planning to buy this... Is there any problem???
    I had been in touch with the CEO and founer of NotionInk, Rohan Shravan. He's totally busy these days ๐Ÿ˜ . By the way, engadget ran a post on their blog about the poor quality of soldering in NotionInk Adam tablets. But that said, they do have a very interesting product. I've no clue whether they've began shipping in India yet.

I personally would prefer Samsung Galaxy Tab over any other product any day ๐Ÿ˜€ .
    The_Big_K
    I had been in touch with the CEO and founer of NotionInk, Rohan Shravan. He's totally busy these days ๐Ÿ˜ . By the way, engadget ran a post on their blog about the poor quality of soldering in NotionInk Adam tablets. But that said, they do have a very interesting product. I've no clue whether they've began shipping in India yet.

I personally would prefer Samsung Galaxy Tab over any other product any day ๐Ÿ˜€ .
    I heard many bad reviews about Samsung Galaxy in terms of their performance and appearance. ๐Ÿ˜” But after hearing NotionInk, I was really thrilled, that too with the 360 degree flip and the cam! Awesome... But yeah, since its handmade, these problems of soldering exist... ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    iPad is a total fad. The only thing that Apple made and iLiked was the iPhone. I own one, and it's just brilliant. However, I don't expect it to bake me a pie......just as I don't expect the iPad to run simulations or play an HD movie. No USB ports, so you HAVE to buy internet connectivity. It's a total waste of money, in my humble opinion.

Of you want to do serious engineering CAD/CAE and need a touchscreen, try Dell's Precision m4600 and m6600. These are serious engineering laptops, built exactly for that purpose.
    Bumping an old thread?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Gurjap
    Of you want to do serious engineering CAD/CAE and need a touchscreen, try Dell's Precision m4600 and m6600. These are serious engineering laptops, built exactly for that purpose.
    Tell me more about DELL. What about battery life and graphics? Are they better than its counterparts?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Praveen-Kumar
    Bumping an old thread?
    Coming to the topic, any gadget is only a fad unless there is a thorough necessity. Never buy anything just because someone has it. Even if Anyone is gifting you apple product, do not accept it if you do not require it. It is only a waste (MUDA).

In other words, iPAD is a fad โ˜•
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Issue
    Even if Anyone is gifting you apple product, do not accept it if you do not require it. It is only a waste (MUDA).
    ๐Ÿ˜จ I'm a waste collector.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    The_Big_K
    ๐Ÿ˜จ I'm a waste collector.
    In last one month, I had experiences that even a costly item can become more wasteful. You would rather want simple things.
    Meanwhile I love recycling believe me.

[โ€‹IMG]
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    Tell me more about DELL. What about battery life and graphics? Are they better than its counterparts?

Come to think of it, we do need a dedicated thread on laptops for cad and cae. Maybe I'll start it...
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-#:

Go ahead ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Vivien.hugo
    Vivien.hugo
    It's a fad. But it's useful in someway.
  • Linda.LY
    Linda.LY
    A fad at the moment. Now Apple is troubled with this trademark.
    A another question for you: who do you think would be the winner in the lawsuit and dispute over the mainland iPad trademarks between Proview Technology and Apple "?
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    Apple has lost lawsuits before, most famously to Microsoft. And for good reason. Looks like this time they've met their match in dirty dealing.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I never felt it as a 'need', I always saw it as a 'fad' ๐Ÿ‘€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    durga
    I never felt it as a 'need', I always saw it as a 'fad' ๐Ÿ‘€
    Unless one knows how to put it to some good use; it's going to be a fad. iPad is basically meant for portable big screen entertainment.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    hmm from when on did portable entertainment become a necessity???why shell a bomb for it?
    No offense to any tablet owners, i am actually planning to get one for my mother , she would be able to use it to skype overseas and all, not because she is on move all the time,but they are easy to use .

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello engineers, I have a very big doubt in DSB SC,SSB SC modulation techniques.we know that the message signal is modulated with a carrier signal of a high frequency for...
Airtel's launched 3G across few cities in North India and has introduced USB 3G Modem Sticks: E1731. The E1713 has following features - Speed HSDPA 7.2Mbps, HSUPA 5.76Mbps Network: customized...
I recently attended a workshop by LI2 Innovations on Android Application Development. The workshop's duration was of 2 days and they charged us Rs 800/- ๐Ÿ˜• On the first day,...
Airtel has launched 3G services in Bangalore, Delhi, Coimbtore, Chennai, Jaipur, Delhi. I did not see unlimited data plans in the list (checked few cities) so wondering how do you...
Aircel thinks that 10% of their existing customers will switch to 3G networks and are planning to launch SIM cards for the Tablets. Aircel has over 2 million customers in...