Is Group discussion no more effective to select the students?

what is your take on the GD as a tool for selecting the students into the various management institues?

check out this thread :#-Link-Snipped-#

is that step an effective one in selecting the students to IIMs?

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    true, the dominant always hijacks the show, but isn't it obvious that he is the best in 99% of the cases? Only an effective communicator can prove his point in a discussion.

But looks like new IIM's have got a point. They do not want to waste even the remaining 1% of that talent. The main question is what is the alternative way (read *the better*) way to select a candidate once you scrap away GD round?
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    I do not like GDs at all. Firstly I don't like myself waiting to grab a chance from a hard group of people to express my opinion on whatever the topic they have given(non-technical, might be some personal, political) and that too in the given time, say 5-6 mins. And its all artificial like We can not oppose anyone directly, we can not say our opinion directly and so on...

I simply Do NOT like GDs.

Only an effective communicator can prove his point in a discussion.
    @Ishan : No, I second you.
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    I hate GD😡. How any one can judge a person from 1-2 minute speaking. I think now student are learn how to express in GD. At earlier student are not familiar with GD system so they represent their self as originally. But now student know what HR people want in GD so they represent them self according to that. This thinking/ personality is temporary.😛
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    GDs are actually, useless. I've often wondered why companies conduct GDs and use them as an 'elimination' tool for the final recruitment.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    I think GD are an effective way to select a candidate, if not best. I mean if someone cant put his thought in front of 10 people then how is he supposed to grow in life. I am not saying it should be the only way but still people should be able to speak up what they are thinking.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I know very successful introverts who are excellent in what they do - coding, writing, playing. I don't think one has to be able to 'put their thoughts in front of an audience' in order to grow in life or be 'successful'.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Of course, introverts can be successful. But we are talking about a condition when you are sitting among a limited number of people and you are being asked to share your thoughts and if you are not able to do that, you are going to loose the job. I think one should be able to speak up when this type of situation comes.
    As far as i have experienced GD is normally conducted by IT/ consultancy companies or management institutions, who wants these type of people only. So, if they are putting this criteria, and just because we feel shy in speaking in public, we cant blame them for it.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi everyone, have you even heard about Vibration Speaker? i found them on a China wholesale site called: SpeMall.com, they're amazing! It seems a new electric product come from China,...
how many motor can be driven by atmega32?? i want to interface 7 servos with atmega32 ...how can i do so ?? shud the driver ic be used??which is best...
which is best rf module to interface with atmega32 ? which is best rf module to interface with atmega32 ? my range is abt 20 feet.Tx433 has lot of noise...
We are having a combined earthgrid where all earthing connections are interconnected. Is it required that the Instrumentation Earthpits be different from Electrical Earthpits. If yes please mention the relevant...
What is the process of campus selection in Hexaware? Does it recruit students from all branches? What is their aptitude test like? Please share your experiences here.