Is Government Ban On Social Networking Sites Justified?

With recent ban on Social Networking Websites like #-Link-Snipped-#& #-Link-Snipped-#, it would be interesting to see what our engineering fraternity thinks about government intervention in what people can access on the Internet.

Do you think Government should take social networking websites seriously?

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    There are many countries which regulate what content over internet can the people from that country should access and we have seen companies like Google which were unhappy did walk out.Freedom for internet is all good, until it breaks the norms set up by the gov of that country. Whenever a nation sees a threat in any format , gov leans to impose a ban.
    By the way, I don't think banning social networking sites will in any way hinder the country's growth, the ban will hit real hard only if its imposed on learning resources I think
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Well, the problem here is not about the country's growth or security. It's about free will.

If there is some internal security threat to the country, or if some really sensitive data has been compromised, then there is some meaning in the bannings.

But, if one goes about banning sites just because the content in that site is offensive, then that just means imposing one's opinions onto others. It amounts to revoking one's right to see whatever he wants and then decide about it.

I don't think this will solve any problem, whatsoever.. If such content shows up in google search, will they ban google too?? Ridiculous!!!
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    i dont agree, it depends on each country's people mindsets and what they believe in. Anything freewill to some one might be an abuse of independence for another. Sitting in another country I think we are not in a position speak about another's country's policies- apart from speculating the developments there. Any ways Pakistan has declared they might revoke the ban in case the page has been removed - Its not gov which took the decision ,it was rather the court and each country's court runs on specific rules right? and as far as baning Google goes- they can filter the search results or can completely get rid of it like what china did. If noticed, there were mixed views about that as well within China too.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello everyone i need help about how to implement the route reservation in internetworks project i hv the full code wd me....
Have you ever wondered how to test your Antivirus software to ensure it’s proper working?😎
Hello everyone i am from the computer trade and need some help with running broadand at my place. Well i need to construct a device which recieves a particular signal...
hello, i hav jst completed my 2nd yr in civil... and hav decided to skip training dis yr.. is it a wise decision????????
Wishing you many many happy returns of the day Happy Birthday Slashfear !!!🎉 :myparty: -CB