Is "Free Basics" By Facebook Good Or Bad For The Internet?

There's a lot of clamour on the social media about Free Basics - an initiative by Facebook that promises to offer free Internet access to the underprivileged. Facebook's leaving no stone unturned to promote their initiative via all the possible media channels and even using their own network to get people's support to convince TRAI to allow Free Basics.

I see that the public opinion is hugely divided because of the misinformation about what Free Basics actually is. Here's an overview for those who do not know :-
  1. Facebook plans to offer free access to the Internet to people via 'Free Basics'.
  2. While this sounds 'too good to be true', here's something we need to be 'concerned about' -
    • Facebook ain't doing this for charity
    • Facebook essentially wants to kill the competition
    • Facebook decides what becomes a part of 'Free Basics' plan
    • Facebook thinks it's a part of 'basic Internet', not educational videos or something people can actually benefit from
    • Facebook hasn't said that it will NEVER put ads on the 'free basics' plan. They're offering it for free in the initial period.
    • In short, 'Free Basics' is the version of the Internet that 'Facebook' wants you to get access to.
  3. Facebook does not subsidize the free access tier. Telecom operators will pay for it; and in turn will lead to the existing consumers pay more.
But with all that, there are arguments that if the poor people are getting access to the Internet - no one should have problem with that.

What's your take?

Replies

• Shweta Chauhan
    Shweta Chauhan
    No, I don't support the cause, as People will think internet is limited to those things only, which Facebook is including in its free basics plan.
    Instead, service providers should reduce their data rates, so its accessible to all.
  • pradip nalwaya
    pradip nalwaya
    Crazy Pixel
    No, I don't support the cause, as People will think internet is limited to those things only, which Facebook is including in its free basics plan.
    Instead, service providers should reduce their data rates, so its accessible to all.
    i m agree with you.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    If there is a website to provide "free" access to, at least it should be Wikipedia. Even if its not 100% accurate, the general knowledge information is still very valuable to combat ignorance. Bandwidth use is also small.
  • Charan V
    Charan V
    It all starts with free... once a system induces this free stuff it won't take much time to corrupt

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CES 2016 has witnessed the launch of the younger brother to Lenovo's flagship Vibe S1 smartphone which took the selfie mania to the next level. Called 'Lenovo Vibe S1 Lite',...
Acer TravelMate P648 is world's first laptop to get super fast 802.11ad WiFi capability. The new laptop is being showcased at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2016. Aimed for the...
I'm batch 2015 Btech CSE student and graduated in Aug 2015 . I was not able to get good job/internship after aug 2015 till now , as year 2016 has...
A Bengaluru based startup company Helpchat has released a new feature to its Android and iOS apps that lets users receive alerts about pollution levels in an area in their...
As per the official declaration and notice from UPSC, IES ESE (Engineering Services Examination) 2017 is getting a new pattern and syllabus is being changed a bit. Please note that...