Is Curiosity Based Self Learning Missing In Today's Engineering Students?

Few days ago, I met an electronics engineer who recently graduated and got recruited in one of the big Indian IT firms. Our casual talk revealed few surprising shocks - he had no knowledge of the most basic computer related terms like 'database', 'server', 'operating system' and so on.

I then realized that curiosity based self-learning is missing from 99% of Indian engineering students. Maybe we'll have to blame the education system - and I've no clue how it is in the other countries.

Computers is just one subject as every engineer needs basic computer education. What about other topics like finance, history, culture, basic anatomy etc.? Have we all killed our curiosity and self-learning?

What's your take?

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    I have left believing in curiosity.
    To quote a very crude example,

I solved a neumerical based on turbojet engines from our RTMNU university by taking ambient temperature and conditions taking ambient temperature as 27 degree celsius or 300K. And I got ZERO marks because my answer came out wrong. Looking at the copy when I filed for revaluation, My professor said, you should have taken it as 15 degree Celsius as in western countries problem are solved by taking that value!!!
    -Ishan Topre
    Are we living where? Even after mentioning that I am taking temperature as 27 degree C, if that valuer does not give me marks, what is the use of damn curiosity? People are still using the old data which the book mentions!

And this is just a simple example, I have a lot many to tell. So from this semester on wards, I am leaving my brain aside ๐Ÿ˜ and doing clerical job by ROTE-learning the things.

In brief we have lost curiosity but we can still develop it looking at the wider picture of this world. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    By the way I was thinking instead of igniting curiosity in *answer paper*, it would be better and profitable and PRACTICAL to make some really good projects. ๐Ÿ˜’
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    We can not force anyone to learn something. But when he knows its importance he tries to learn it. Actually i observed that lots of interest in computer is very harmful to his disciplinary study! Student may deviate from his original topic.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The_Big_K
    Have we all killed our curiosity and self-learning? What's your take?
    I believe so. Even parents do not encourage curiosity in children. An engineer above all must do this self learning all the time. As for Ishu's observation, there is no need to rub the establishment in the wrong. This can be internalized.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Curiosity is definitely lacking. And we cannot blame the education completely. There are a few professors who encourage thinking. But that took only a few and the better ones are found in well-structured universities. As for people like myself, who is stuck up in 'nowhere', the internet is the place that provides the curiosity. And i'm glad to have found sites like CE which enhance my mind and help develop my thought, which in turn, i believe, can develop my personality for my future. If necessity is the mother of invention, i'd say curiosity is the father.
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    Due to the Commercialization of Indian Education, students are only learning techniques how to remember and how to solve as quick as possible other than the actual subject. This only brings pressure to brain and due to that we are lacking curiosity but gaining % and jobs and money.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    I can feel the lack of curiosity even among my peers. What could be wrong with Indian Engineering?

P.S.: Looking forward to a better analysis of the Indian version of Engineering
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    There is only one basic explanation:

Nowadays in India, "engineering" has evolved into a brand.

a brand which stands for financial stability and security.

it means to say, that if you become an engineer, you will never go hungry, let alone become rich. but nobody really cares what kind of services, they have to render, and what kind of knowledge is required of them.

I noticed this in my own college. during the lab sessions, none of the guys were impressed by the sight of the machines present. they showed the most apathy towards them. they would gather in small groups in a quiet spot, and discuss cricket.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Engineers, even the Indian ones, are OK at the core. No doubt the rat race claims a major victory.
    However, no need for gloom. Along comes a CE that ignites many minds to get off the backside and create.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    zaveri
    There is only one basic explanation:
    Nowadays in India, "engineering" has evolved into a brand.
    a brand which stands for financial stability and security.
    ๐Ÿ‘

May be, Rat race of Marks and priority of getting a job in top Indian IT firm is a possible answer of it.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

All India Entrance test on Embedded/VLSI is conducted by vector institute for admission to advanced course in Embedded/VLSI at Hyderabad/Bangalore training centres. Date of test: 14th Aug 2011. Last date...
CAT Mock Test On 7 Aug @ Career Launcher Centres. Register online Now! Source: Register
Can i have some ideas on how to decorate the college for a technical fest....we have to decorate the main gate and the lawn...Theme is TECHNOLOGY AND ITS EVOLUTION.....CEans please...
Hi, I'm jimson, a computer student.. I complete my course on march 2012. After my High school study on 2007 and i'm joing the higher secondary course in computer science...
SMART Modular Technologies - 200GB-1.6TB - SAS - SSD - Optimus Specifications